New tool thread - Page 5 - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
So if you saw this thread, you know the big new tool I got recently is the lift. So, now I'm a lift guy. Becoming a lift guy is not unlike becoming an orgy guy - it changes everything. But instead of robes and lotions I have to get all sorts of new lift tools.

Attachment 50959

The first thing I bought was a 20 gal oil drain tank. The downside of this is that it's somewhat large, so it does take valuable floor space. The upside of it is that it's awesome in every way and is one of the best things I've ever purchased. $130 delivered. Big, stable and all steel. All fluid changes are a breeze with no mess. Used to be I'd drain into a pan and then dump that into a 5 gal bucket to take to recycle. Messy pulling the pan from under the car. Messy dumping the oil into the bucket. Messy dumping the bucket at the transfer station. Drop the drain plug into the oil? Messy finding that.

Now? Drain into the tank directly and done. Intentionally drop the drain plg because there's a screen so it's not going anywhere. When it's half full, pump into these recycle jugs and take to recycle. 99% less mess. Need to drain a radiator? Stick the coolant drain pan on top, raise to the correct height, and drain. Oil filter or something else full of oil? Stick it in the funnel and come back in 30 mins, all oil is drained. Oily part? Hold over the funnel and hit with a little brake cleaner - clean.
I have the same one and it has saved me a whole bunch of mess. About twice a year I fill it up and take it over to my buddy that has a 500 gal tank that feeds his waste oil heater in his shop. If you know anybody that has one they will gladly take the used oil off your hands. One word of caution: when it comes time to empty it with compressed air, be ready to open the ball valve QUICKLY when you get to the end and have some rags ready to prevent the puking air and oil that comes rushing out when the tank is empty. Otherwise oil will be grenaded all over everything.

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
For your lift, I'd suggest getting one of these from Harbor Freight and modifying it to fit under your lift.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallo...lly-90582.html
A very good suggestion too!

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 04-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

I will definitely consider the HF one, but would like to see what Kurt will have first.

Kurt, please put me in line.

Mods: after Kurt has seen this, feel free to delete my posts that may be messing up this thread.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default If only I could!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
.... Mods: after Kurt has seen this, feel free to delete my posts that may be messing up this thread.
Keep pushing boy-o and you and Landjet can commiserate over on 6speed.lame!!

Old saying (fill in the ethnic group); when you find yourself in a hole, by all means keep digging!!!

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 04-07-2016, 11:09 PM

cmartin

Quote:
feel free to delete my posts

Good info Jazz, thanks for posting. I'm shopping for the same gear and not easy to figure out the quality from the standard chicom crap. Many ads have the some images and some the same text no matter the retailer. Keep an eye on unloading the tank with air, I made a mess with a similar setup once, dont want to relive that one.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:43 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

The pro brand and grade units I will be selling off are the pressurize to empty type. They have / had a built in regulator that kept the pressure below the "blow up the tank" level but as you all have noted this does not prevent massive wet farts at the end of the process. You can empty via gravity if you have a way to lift the tanker above the target. Use a lift to pick the tank up and you can then drain into recycle containers. I don't think any of the tankers still have the air fitting and regulators as we don't use this method in large part due the the high "failure" rate. In order to not have an explosive wet fart you have to leave the dregs in the tank. This can cause a buildup of thick gunk that is always left behind that becomes a problem over time in high volume use. At the shops we have air powered suction pumps that evacuate the oil and coolant. Rather than finishing with an explosive wet fart of oil dregs the suction pumps finish of with an oddly satisfying bottom of the milkshake like slurp and you can slosh the tank a bit to get the last dregs.

Make a simple web sling that you can use with your automotive lift to elevate the tanker and gravity drain with easy control. I lift my tanker up with the car lift and set it in the back of my PU truck. One of the shops oil suction pumps is right next to an outside door and I back right up to it and hook up. Good used oil is sold to the recyclers BTW.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 04-08-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
.... Make a simple web sling that you can use with your automotive lift to elevate the tanker and gravity drain with easy control. I lift my tanker up with the car lift and set it in the back of my PU truck.... Good used oil is sold to the recyclers BTW.
This. Even my 8 gallon tank is awkward to hold. I got a bunch of 2 gallon cooking oil cans from a neighbor that worked in the FC schools. Nice thing about these is they have the same size opening as the oil catcher so the tray fits in and makes filling much easier. I recycle at Ft Belvoir. The 2 gallon cans are much easier to wrestle up the stairs at the dumping station.

I've been told that even a little brake fluid will ruin a whole tank of recycled oil so best to keep separate.

Pretty sure VA state law requires gas stations to accept old oil. Just need to be convincing when you ask. I've done this a couple of times but it's only fun if you have the time

Old 04-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

A little non oil OK if there is a lot of oil. From my experience at home racing / DE likely produces too much brake fluid to oil for you to have the desired grade of used oils. Best to not put non oils in old oil if you can. At the shops we get good $ for the oil as we have good history of being clean of gas and non oils. Recycling on a weekly basis by the tank truck load helps too.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
.... Make a simple web sling that you can use with your automotive lift to elevate the tanker and gravity drain with easy control.
Question always comes up about what to do with old harnesses and trailer tie downs?

Using them to fab things like this is a perfect solution. If you look closely you can see one of my trailer tie downs doubling as an engine sling.
Name:  Garage_lift_4.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  161.7 KB Perfect for lifting then holding the engine/trans till you can separate trans and mount engine to stand.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

My original plan with the E46 subframe bushings was to use my press to press them out. It took all of 5 min for me to realize that this plan was stupid. So now I needed something to pull the bearings out. Last night I hit both the big box home stores and didn't really find much. This afternoon I thought I'd see what Harbor Freight had. Came away with this:

Name:  image_21565.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  118.9 KB

http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-fro...ers-66829.html

$120, which is pretty steep as far as HF is concerned, but totally worth it. I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality of this set. The parts are pretty well made and there's a great assortment of sizes. Best part of the whole thing was being able to drive 10 mins away and pick one up TODAY. Yeah, a lot of HF stuff may be junk (this set not included, like it said it's pretty nice), but man you gotta love the fact that they stock weird automotive crap that no one else carries.
1999 E46 328i