Waylens Horizon track camera ... reviews - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Waylens Horizon track camera ... reviews

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:39 PM

4PCADE
Default Waylens Horizon track camera ... reviews

Anyone tried one of these? Looks like it could be pretty good.

https://www.waylens.com/horizon
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 AM

stbriggs

I just received one on Friday. Set it up in the car yesterday and plan to use it at a VIR later this week. So far so good. I did a quick test ride and the video was crisp and the gauge overlay is nice. I would have liked to have seen some instructions in the kit. You have to find them on line. They give you 30 days to try it out. We'll see...
Old 03-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Der ABT

Since it has built in accelerometers is strongly suggest you make sure it's a car solid mount to help limit noise from bumps and shaking.

Looks cool though
2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2018, 06:54 AM

stbriggs

Back from VIR and have some cool footage. BUT, It takes some effort to get the video. The reason for the effort, in my opinion and experience, is the camera doesn't come with instructions. You have to look everything up on the site and even then you"ll still left figuring things out. It wasn't as simple as I thought is should have been.
As Der ABT mentioned, a solid mount would help. At track speeds with the windows down there was some minor shake. I would like to mount the camera to my roll bar and they do make a universal mount that looks a bit more secure. The problem is the remote that comes with the camera doesn't start stop the recording. It only, at this point, tag a highlight section of footage. So, with the camera mounted to the rollbar I would not be able to easily start and stop the recording. You use the touch screen to stop and stop the recordings.
I did use the lap timer setting and it did work pretty well.
They offer a 30 day free trial. You just have to pay for the return shipping. I'm going to contact Waylens to see if they plan to allow the remote to start stop recording, If not I'll be returning it.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:34 PM

Der ABT

appreciate the review, you may be able to get a Ram Suction mount and a short ram arm to work decently and have the camera up near your rear view mirror, only thing you wont see is what your hands are doing, but it is an option

any chance you have any of the video uploaded onto youtube or anything that we could check out.

strange the remote wouldnt start/stop....
does it automatically start recording when powered on? or is there that option?....if so you could put a switch on the power cord where you could reach it and trigger the recording that way....if not....return shipping it is
2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2018, 03:56 PM

stbriggs

I just got off the phone from Waylens they were able to answer most of my questions and concerns so at this point I'm going to hold on it. The start stop issue can be resolved by using a smartphone through the camera 's hotspot. This also allows you to view what the camera is seeing from your phone. Additionally, Waylens is planning on allowing the remote button to be configurable. So that you can set it up to either high light or start stop. The button in it's current config does start stop the recording in the lap timer mode.

I'll see if I can get some video uploaded to a site.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:18 PM

RV4Flyer

Did you look at the Garmin Virb? I have used one the past few years and like that it has all of the sensors and easily connects to both your cell phone and OBDII reader. Also less expensive and comes with a really good editing program that gives you a ton of customizable layouts, types, and placement of gauges. I don't know if it is better or worse than Waylens but if you haven't compared the two you may want to.

Wall of Dearly Departed Loved Ones
07 987 Cayman S
03 996
86 944
74 914
78 924

Bro Code Rule 43:
When a Bro learns another Bro has been in a traffic accident, they must first ask what condition the car is in.