Braking (covering the brakes). - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Braking (covering the brakes).

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:05 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread
Default Braking (covering the brakes).

I found this motorcycle video where the guy talks about covering the brakes and some other interesting bits about rubber, etc. I have not heard about this in car driving. I'm kind of brain dead so maybe one of you smarter guys can talk about why this does/doesn't apply in car world.

https://youtu.be/HiOGAYOXN8U

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2020, 09:42 PM

mlytle

all that theory applies to cars also. we teach it at schools. adding pressure to the brakes at a rate the tires can handle as the weight transfers to the front allowing more pressure. it is basic friction circle management/weight transfer stuff. for motorcycles that have soft suspensions the lag/dive is a lot more pronounced.

as for the "covering/preload" thing...not really practical in daily use to preload...it turns the brake lights on. covering is good, but preload.... if much preload is needed, then the brake system needs adjusting..

(i ride and track motorcycles also)
97 M3
Old 11-19-2020, 08:43 AM

racer

Sounding similar to your "cover the brakes" motorcycle scenario, Mercedes (and maybe others?) back in the late 1990s rolled out similar "driver activated" safety feature. If you abruptly remove your foot from the throttle, in anticipation of you hitting the brakes, the calipers are squeezed to push the brake pads closer to the rotor without actually engaging the brakes. Given vehicles now with a bevy of radars and nearly autonomous features, "pre braking" is likely happeneing without many drivers noticing.

I imagine the generally less stable motorcycle, especially one without ABS, would benefit from this practice.
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc

Last edited by racer; 11-19-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:42 PM

feedftr

Good article on modern braking assist

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-d...ake-assist.htm

14 Cayman S