What do I expect at start up? - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » What do I expect at start up?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:38 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Is there an easy way to make sure the fuel pump is getting power? And more than once I've seen the fuel pump start working after a blow with a hammer, but someone else would have to chime in with the context for doing that. Good luck, Ryan.

1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander (wife's DD and my new tow vehicle
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
2009 911 C2S Coupe "The Green Car"
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango - sold to a Dorki
2003 Acura MDX - Just shy of 200K
86 Black 911 Coupe race car (owned 2010-2016)
86 Gold 911 Targa (owned 1998-2012)
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa (owned 1986-7)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:08 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

Plz don’t hit the pump with a hammer. They can get stuck but impact engineering is best left till last. Got voltage at pump? Test right at the pump with a light or meter with long leads.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)
Old 03-03-2021, 03:09 PM

cmartin

I just cleaned a TON of funk from fuel lines. Disco the filter and plumb the input line to a container, test fuel pump with 12 volts. Work back to the pump, running? Level sender comes out pretty easily to inspect the tank.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 PM

pookie

Thanks guys. I had to push it back in the garage and get to work shortly after I posted. I’ll check the pump and report back.

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap
Old 03-04-2021, 07:05 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

How old is the gas? If not fresh do your fresh motor a solid and drain the tank. As Chris said you can take a good look in the tank and at the in tank sock filter. If the gas does not look and smell like it should donít feed it to your motor. Fast test of the sock is to pull the fuel line off the fitting at the tank and watch the gravity powered flow. If good then it is not clogged. It might be missing but it is not clogged and starving the pump.
I like to divide and conquer with troubleshooting. It is real simple to clip two long wires on the pump electrical connections and yes/no pump power. Yes. Dig into the fuel side. No. Dig into the electrical side.

No matter what drain out any old gas.

You Matter.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:17 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Have a 74 914 in the shop right now that ran well when parked. 2 years ago. Owner popped in a battery and cranked old gas through it. Had to pull and clean the tank, flush all the fuel lines, pump and the like. After starting it was not running like it did when I last saw it. 2 of 4 injectors were way lean. Sent them off and got 3 good and one dead duck back.

It also had no less than eight rodent nests in it including in the rocker heater tubes. I think, there might be more...

You Matter.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:43 AM

pookie

I hope to get a chance to look at it this afternoon. Gas did sit for awhile but it was non-ethanol gas and I had added Stabil to it. It still smelled like normal gas before I tried starting it and I also added a gallon to make sure. No justifying the state of my gas, or saying that it isn’t bad, just that I tried beforehand to store it correctly. To answer the other questions it sat for a year. The car has been in the garage the whole time. I checked multiple times while it was down, (you know I’d go sit in the drivers seat and make vroom vroom noises while I waited on the rebuild) and have not seen evidence of rodents.

I disconnected the fuel line at the filter and no gas came out. So I don’t even think any made it back there when I tried to crank it. However, I did not try disconnecting the line and getting power to the pump to confirm that. I will do so today if I can.

I’m also going to look back at the wiring connections. I know I ran the three wires with crank position sensor from the harness to the engine the right way because I had them labeled. I fear I may have the wire flip flopped for the two sensors on the flywheel on the engine side. I need to confirm that I ran those wires in the same order as the manual.

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap
Old 03-06-2021, 09:50 AM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Again easy way to eliminate the pump itself is to check for 12v at pin 87a on the relay plug. If you have it, then cross a wire between 87a and 30. If fuel pump is working it will kick on.

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:27 AM

pookie

Yeah Tito those will be my first steps.

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap
Old 03-06-2021, 10:38 AM
Tito

86911TLCAB

If the fuel line is disconnected in the engine bay just stick end into a canister so you don’t get gas everywhere.

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)