718 boxster s or 981 boxster s - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » 718 boxster s or 981 boxster s

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:18 AM

Chopper Dropper

Not sure if things have changed, but VIR did not allow convertibles without a roll bar. Hoops were not accepted, not sure about the added Brey Krause.
Have seen taller/bigger folk having a problem with Roll Bars and Race seats in the Caymans, just be careful checking it out.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 02-28-2019, 11:25 AM

HoodPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Dropper View Post
Not sure if things have changed, but VIR did not allow convertibles without a roll bar. Hoops were not accepted, not sure about the added Brey Krause.
Have seen taller/bigger folk having a problem with Roll Bars and Race seats in the Caymans, just be careful checking it out.
Dirk
VIR accepts the 2-hoop Boxster rollbar WITH the BK Extension Bar installed.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:52 PM

somdcroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodPin View Post
VIR accepts the 2-hoop Boxster rollbar WITH the BK Extension Bar installed.
Yes--this (BK extension) is necessary for 986 Boxsters but might not be needed for 987s and up since they have taller/wider fixed hoops--however, the broomstick test will decide that but I have never seen it become an issue. One thing is certain though--VIR does not allow self deploying "pop-up" bars 911 Cabs (and some other makes/models) come from the factory with. You will need a "fixed" roll bar system in those convertible cars (I know someone selling one now that fits 996 and 997 cabs). However, VIR also states that for "gutted, track prepared cars" drivers must wear appropriate nomex type driving suits. As you may know, VIR does not consider short sleeves as appropriate dress, even for street cars.
SCCA DC Region & PCAP Club Race F&C
scotthoffman11@gmail.com
2011 Cayman S "Hopealuoti"
Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 PM

edw
Default 718 Boxster

I ran my ol' 2005 Boxster at VIR with the Grey-Kraus extender, but no one from the track ever gave it a second glance. The new 718's roll hoops are higher. Pretty sure we cleared at least one thru tech last year and they ran all weekend without any extra protection.

The issue I would think about is whether you plan to add race seats. If so, I would steer away from the Boxster and look for a Cayman. You do not want to risk a roll while strapped in harnesses with only the two roll hoops - they will dig in to the ground and that would be a bad day. If you are happy with the stock seats, a 718 Boxster should be a good compromise.

Good hunting!
Ed
Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Jabs1542

I’ll check with VIR regarding roll bar rules, hopefully they will get back to me (they’re responsiveness to customer inquires is not great).

Last Nov I was there with Audi and they have a member with a R8 convertible with pop up roll bars. They had no problem with it. This same Audi member has inquired about his car at our upcoming Pitt Race event, I checked, and he is okay (note that VIR and Pitt Race are owned by the same folks).

I’ll report back if VIR responds.

2013 C2S

Racecars are like strippers, we just keep throwing money at them hoping someday they give us the ride of our lives…
Old 03-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Paddy

It has nothing to do with VIR allowing it. It depends on who is renting the facility and what their insurance policy states. NASA requires convertible tops down, PCA requires them up, BMWCCA doesn't allow convertibles, etc. In other words, check with the group you're running with.
02 BMW Spec E46 #27
01 Boxster
86 944- AER/Chump #33
20 F250 Tremor
Old 03-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
It has nothing to do with VIR allowing it. It depends on who is renting the facility and what their insurance policy states. NASA requires convertible tops down, PCA requires them up, BMWCCA doesn't allow convertibles, etc. In other words, check with the group you're running with.
And it isn't even that simple -- sometimes the track puts requirements in the contract with one club that may not be present in the contract for another club.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...