Advice on removing rear shock w/stripped hex ('06 E90) - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » Advice on removing rear shock w/stripped hex ('06 E90)

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2018, 04:56 PM

Mark Hubley
Default Advice on removing rear shock w/stripped hex ('06 E90)

The driver's side rear shock on my 2006 325i is making a clunking noise, which appears to be a problem with the upper mount. The car has about 120K miles on it, so I am just going to replace both rear shocks and the associated mounts. Here's the potential problem:

The upper end of the shock has a female hex (5 mm IIRC) into which I can insert an allen wrench to keep the shock from spinning as I remove the 16 mm nut that holds it in the upper mount. It looks like this . . .

That hole on the passenger side shock is stripped. So, putting an allen wrench in there does nothing to stop the shock from spinning when I turn the nut.

Any advice on how to deal with this? I haven't tried anything yet, but I'm thinking about cutting away the dust cover and trying to clamp vice grip pliers on the rod. As I plan to replace the shock anyway, if I do a little damage that should not be a problem. I figure the night before I do the work I can spray some penetrating lube on the 16 mm nut.

Any other ideas?

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944