Introdouche Yourself - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Introdouche Yourself

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Aquila Legalis

targa911man

996's are cheaper because they are ugly. We may be fanatics, but we still have taste.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:36 AM

TD in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by APKhaos
Well, yes, but.........

The 996 might just be the best value-for-money late model Porsche around. They are extremely capable cars. Put a set of wheels and Rs on an otherwise stock 996 and a good driver in the seat, and its rock & roll time. I guess there are times when PSM gets in the way, but its still a fun car to drive.

Flame shields up
I don't get the PSM debate. It is not as if PSM constantly helps you: You know exactly when it kicks in. Although I made my instructor promise that he would not tell anyone, I actually made PSM kick in once during last weekend. It was on the first day, second run. I was entering 9 very hot and I made an abrupt steering input. When PSM kicks in, it is an abrupt snap and, I must confess, I prefer the shame of PSM than having an OTE. If you turn off PSM, then it only comes back on if you 1) exceed the ideal slip angle (7 deg I believe); AND 2) hit the brakes, in which case you really are in trouble. If you don't hit the brakes, then PSM would allow you to drift around the track like a Japanese superstar.

I am glad I have it, at least for now.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:37 AM

TD in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa911man
996's are cheaper because they are ugly. We may be fanatics, but we still have taste.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:23 PM

keithmckenney

David,

You should take a look at the pca.org site for P-cars as well as the pcapotomac.org web site and rennlist.com if you have not as yet.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Parenn911 has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa911man
Here here!!!
Thanks for setting the record straight Dan !
Old 03-17-2005, 12:42 PM

swftiii

David,

There is no end in site on the debate of 993 or 996, but in all honesty the decision will come down to your opinion of which car you like the best. Each car has it's positives and negatives.

My recommendation is to drive both cars and do as much research about them as you can. They will drive and feel as different as they look. Spend the time thinking about what you want and if you have questions don't histate to ask this bias forum as everyone will definately speak their minds.

I know which camp I'm in, but that doesn't matter because you have to make and live with the decision. Whichever you buy, plan on some track time to get to know her more intimately - once you try it you'll never go back.

Enjoy the search,

Skip

'91 964 #54
'97 993 C4S
Old 03-17-2005, 08:37 PM

Mackliet

David,

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea on how you intend to use your car. Here are a few things to consider:

* If you want to take the PCA driver's education (DE) courses, your cab will need to have an appropriate roll bar. According to the PCA Potomac site, the pop-up roll bar of the 996 is acceptable at most of the tracks they run at, including Summit Point, the home track. The pop-up bar is not acceptable at VIR. You and your helmet must meet the "two inch" rule: "With the driver strapped in, the top of the driver’s helmet must be 2 inches below a line drawn between the top of the windshield and the top of the roll bar." At 6', I was close to breaking the two inch rule. Drivers learn how to slouch in order to get compliant with that rule.
* If you get a 993 cab, you will have to install a roll bar in order to participate in the DEs. The roll bar you install may reduce the amount of space you have to move the driver's and passenger's seat back. I had a 993 cab and, at 6', my seat was about as far back as I could move it.
* You might acquaint yourself with some of the discussion surrounding the rear main seal (RMS) issues that seem to be a problem with the 996 and the Boxster. You can find plenty of discussion on Rennlist about this. I'm not sure if this has played into the good prices mentioned in earlier posts, but it certainly isn't adding value.
* If you consider a 993, keep in mind that the 1996 through 1998 variants had better "out of the box" performance, due to the Varioram. But, as I understand it, the 1995 variant (the one I had) was more easily upgraded with performance mods.
* Finally, please be advised that there has been a recall on Cabs built from mid 1993 through mid 1998. The campaign covers issues associated with the top motors. (Ask me how I know that one of the top motors costs about $740...thankfully, PCNA is covering this cost retroactively, even though I no longer have the car. Wow!). Refer to Recall A502.

Regards,

86 944T

Gone
92 Carrera Cup USA
87 944T
95 Cab
Old 03-17-2005, 10:03 PM

cmartin

I was a diehard 996 hater, until I was in one on the track that is. All I can say is wow, amazing potential. Shifter is dead on, handling is amazing and the power curve is just right. Add RA-1s and harnesses and the car just flies.

If I had the $$ I would own one.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

It is hard to see the non round headlights in the mirror and the back end just gets smaller and smaller as the 996s disapear down track in front of you...

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:48 AM

TD in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Mickelwait
It is hard to see the non round headlights in the mirror and the back end just gets smaller and smaller as the 996s disapear down track in front of you...
:o Yea, Yea Targa911Man, that's what I'm talkin bout!

Having just typed this, I realize that karmic forces most likely will lead me to be extraordinarily slow at VIR with multiple OTEs just so that everyone else will see the broken eggs while passing by