DE Car Selection - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » DE Car Selection

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 AM

TomChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
Supposedly on GT3s the dealer can check to see how many Gs you've been doing and void your Warrenty.

I don't have GT3 problems but I'd like to know more about this. .
Crazy.
Yes, they have a selection option on the dash to display(and log) g-force. Warranty claims can be denied when g-force exceeds that of the what the OEM tires can produce. The OEM tires either Michelin or Dunlop R-comp.

Past:
2007 997 Carrera S (RS look-alike)
2002 996 C2 Aerokit
2001 996 Turbo
1999 996 C2 Aerokit
1987 930 (Converted to 996 GT3R body. Huge mistake but I learned a lot from the experience)
Many Ducati, Suzuki, and Yamaha highly modified superbikes
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Yeah that was the discussion. Weird.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Le Cochon Volant

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Fotouhi View Post
It has been a while since we have had a DE car discussion, so I think peanut gallery should be ready for this. I likely ask the same on RL since the entertainment value is different there.

We plan to put the 993 up for sale when it is ready, but will drive it until it sells (hopefully quickly).

Since I am not paying the crazy asking money for 6GT3, and Carolyn does not want to drive a Vett at PCA DEs, my thoughts are a 99 996 C2 would be the way to go. My only reason is that it has no electronic driving aids (except ABS) like PSM/TC, etc. which is a requirement. I admit that I do not know anything about 996 except that 2000 MY C2 got eGas (I think that is what is called), but not sure when TC became standard.

I think a street registered care with working a/c that would be capable of 1:23 or better lap times at SP needs the following:

Club-Sort "A "Kit Suspension Tarett
GT3 seats Porsche
Seat mount and slider Porsche ?
Bolt-in roll bar ?
LSD Guard
Harness Sparco FIA Endurance
Wheels OZ
Oil Sump Baffle Tarett
wheel Studs Tarett
Semi-solid engine mount Wevo
Deep Sump Kit Tarett

The suspension kit includes JRZ double adjustable and some GT3 bits, but keeps many of the rubber bushings. What am I missing or could I use Bilstein PSS10 and ala cart suspension to get to the same end?
I have this car and you are welcome to drive it any time to see how you like it. Even the AC still works and it is street legal. One thing though, on the Pig there is TC. I think a lot of '99s came with it. I just turn it off before every session.
2015 GT3
1988 951
1989 944 S2
2002 Boxster S (project)
2013 Cayenne Diesel (wifey's DD)
2007 E350 4matic wagon DD
2008 Chevy 3500 dually tow truck
2013 Passat TDI (trouble waiting to happen)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Call me Scooter

good hands

Good choice. Just throw the PMS aos and the X51 oil pan baffle and you're good to go. At least that was my experience.

2014 GTB1 World Champion
8 Time National DE champion

88 911 E stock
13 Boxster S
1969 Saab Sonett
2005 Cayenne
2013 Cayenne
2014 F150
Hurricane race trailer with A/C
05 Cup car
02 Koni 996
Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 PM

forklift

Weren't most of your DE championships in the 996?
Jim 93 RSA, G stock #222
Old 07-11-2018, 05:35 PM

forklift

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Fotouhi View Post
It has been a while since we have had a DE car discussion, so I think peanut gallery should be ready for this. I likely ask the same on RL since the entertainment value is different there.

We plan to put the 993 up for sale when it is ready, but will drive it until it sells (hopefully quickly).

Since I am not paying the crazy asking money for 6GT3, and Carolyn does not want to drive a Vett at PCA DEs, my thoughts are a 99 996 C2 would be the way to go. My only reason is that it has no electronic driving aids (except ABS) like PSM/TC, etc. which is a requirement. I admit that I do not know anything about 996 except that 2000 MY C2 got eGas (I think that is what is called), but not sure when TC became standard.

I think a street registered care with working a/c that would be capable of 1:23 or better lap times at SP needs the following:

Club-Sort "A "Kit Suspension Tarett
GT3 seats Porsche
Seat mount and slider Porsche ?
Bolt-in roll bar ?
LSD Guard
Harness Sparco FIA Endurance
Wheels OZ
Oil Sump Baffle Tarett
wheel Studs Tarett
Semi-solid engine mount Wevo
Deep Sump Kit Tarett

The suspension kit includes JRZ double adjustable and some GT3 bits, but keeps many of the rubber bushings. What am I missing or could I use Bilstein PSS10 and ala cart suspension to get to the same end?
Sounds like you will be around $40-45k all in? What is your budget? Looks like there are plenty of decent 996s out there but I'm not seeing many w/ track mods. I'd also consider an E46 M3.
Jim 93 RSA, G stock #222
Old 07-11-2018, 05:51 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

I suggest: https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showpo...postcount=5034

It's almost a Dr. K Tribute Car so win, win!
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 07-11-2018, 06:12 PM

Mark Hubley

My 996 is in a shop right now, presumably for an engine rebuild/refresh. I bought the car with 80K miles back in 2013, and it now has 105K miles. The seller had At Speed put a new clutch and LN IMS bearing into the car prior to sale. Over the years I have owned the car I occasionally found some little brown plastic bits in the oil filters. These are from worn timing chain tensioner pads (or whatever you want to call them). At WG last month I got a check engine light telling me a camshaft was out of phase, and my Durametric told me (IIRC) 14 degrees off. I figure one of these pads has worn to the point that the timing is out of whack. I put the car on my trailer, took it home, and then took it to Auto Therapy.

Anyways, my point is that while there may be advantages to buying a high-mileage 996, there are parts in the motor that wear and can potentially cause problems. This is in addition to the oft-mentioned IMS bearing and RMS. I figured that at some point I was going to have to deal with these plastic internal parts. I do wish that time didn't come after the first black run session on Friday at WG! At least the car gave me notice before something catastrophic happened!

I'm waiting to hear Roger Bratter's opinion of my motor, and then we will have a conversation about how much $$$ I will be spending. On a related note, my wife and I are getting our Labrador retriever, Stella, knocked up. Hoping for puppies to arrive in September, ready to go home to their new owners before Thanksgiving. Buy a puppy and help finance my engine rebuild

FYI, my 996 has PSM, which I think was an option that year.

Formerly owned P-cars:
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 07-12-2018, 09:49 AM

N Fotouhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hubley View Post
My 996 is in a shop right now, presumably for an engine rebuild/refresh.
FYI, my 996 has PSM, which I think was an option that year.
I see used 3.4 engines for around $8.5K. Compare that to a 993 motor with 215K miles for $20K asking price (and I believe that is close to the going rate), and as I said earlier, that makes the engine a consumable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forklift View Post
Sounds like you will be around $40-45k all in? What is your budget? Looks like there are plenty of decent 996s out there but I'm not seeing many w/ track mods. I'd also consider an E46 M3.
Thanks for pointing out the only part of the plan I am having a hard time believing.

I still think a Vette is the best way to go. I just have to get Carolyn into one, or better yet, leave her at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0tt0N View Post
I suggest: https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showpo...postcount=5034

It's almost a Dr. K Tribute Car so win, win!
The only tribute I pay @$$man is showing him the middle finger when I pass him. BTW, that car is much nicer than anything he would build

There are 3 sides to every story. Mine, yours, and the truth.

91 944 S2 - Mine, Sold
914-6 Vintage racer - Mine
93 964 - Not mine
95 993 - Hers
Old 07-13-2018, 12:29 AM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

FU Martin and Nader.

Just so you know, I wrecked badly at the last SCCA summit point race 3 weeks ago, and had the car thrown together for Watkins Glen this past weekend. As I was putting the car on the trailer it was obvious the engine was in bad shape, so we threw a new MAF on there and crossed our fingers. 2 second-place finishes running consistent 2:22s with probably 100 HP. Of course, the 2nd (25 minute) race had 2-1/4 laps racing and 20 minutes of double-yellow behind a pace car (sheesh!). And Rich Hromen ran a 1:26 in his SSM car at Summit Point with 107 HP - I sure hope Nader can do better than a 1:23 with a Porsche!

So here's a photo of my car at Watkins Glen this past weekend. I guess I don't have a leg to stand on to dispute Martin's post...

Name:  Miata at the Glen.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  275.7 KB

Vicegrip: "The best way to buy speed in bikes is purchase less food. "

2009 911 C2S Coupe "The Green Car"
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2004 Toyota Prius - Back-up DD
2016 Toyota Highlander (wife's DD and my new tow vehicle

Gone and missed:
2006 Dodge Durango - sold to a Dorki
2003 Acura MDX - Just shy of 200K
86 Black 911 Coupe race car (owned 2010-2016)
86 Gold 911 Targa (owned 1998-2012)
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa (owned 1986-7)