Trying to put a two post lift + standard suburban garage - Page 10 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Trying to put a two post lift + standard suburban garage

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:47 AM

87turbolook911

Congrats Chris!!
Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 AM

dnwong

Nice Install! I am jealous. Can't wait till I can get mine installed.
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build
Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPM911 View Post
The real question is whether or not your suburban 2 car garage is now a 1 car garage. Let's see some pics of how you manage to squeeze 2 cars in there.
Easy peasy:

Name:  IMG_2085.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  214.1 KB

First weekend using the lift to do actual work. I was happy to see two things - first, with a 10' 6" ceiling, you can get a regular car pretty high. Here's my son working on his Maxima. He's 6' 2":

Name:  IMG_2089.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  165.4 KB

The other thing is that at full height, my high lift garage door opens beautifully:

Name:  IMG_2087.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  176.1 KB
1999 E46 328i
Old 03-28-2016, 01:30 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

That's sure a sweet Maxima...
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 03-28-2016, 01:30 PM

HoodPin

Nice job Jazz!

Do you happen to know how deep the floor anchor bolts needed to be drilled?

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

BTW, when I started looking into the lift, there were three main benefits I thought I'd get:

1. The most obvious: ease of doing shit under the car. Self explanatory.
2. No more up-down-up-down so easier on my now middle aged joints.
3. Time - being able to wheel the toolbox under the car to work would save time. Turns out - it does in fact save a shitload to time. Seriously, it's awesome.

After using the lift for a weekend, I was surprised by a couple other benefits:

4. Less effort - sort of the same as #1, but I didn't really think about it at first. That picture of my son in the last post? He's removing an oxygen sensor from the lower exhaust. It was rusted in but good. An O2 sensor socket + 1/2" breaker bar and the ability to put your body weight into it = removed in 5 mins. Doing that while laying on the ground usually results in what looks like me doing some sort of idiotic pull ups while sliding across the garage floor.

5. Significantly less dirty. No more laying on the ground so no more shirts and pants covered in general garage dirt/grass/oil/grime. You can see in the picture next to my son there's a 20 gal oil drain with telescoping neck. Need to drain something? Raise it to the right height and drain - no splashing or dripping everywhere. Get a little on the floor? Easy to wipe up or mop up quickly no matter the size of the spill. Unless there's a really nasty project I can wrench all day, take off my gloves and wash my hands at the end and feel like a normal human being.
1999 E46 328i
Old 03-28-2016, 01:33 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodPin View Post
Nice job Jazz!

Do you happen to know how deep the floor anchor bolts needed to be drilled?
4 inches.
1999 E46 328i
Old 03-28-2016, 02:58 PM
tire walls are bouncy

Lupin..the..3rd

Man that looks awesome, well done. What a huge upgrade.

Another benefit I would imagine is improved access to stuff in the center of the car, like exhaust, prop shaft, etc. where on a scissor lift it's a gymnastics exercise to reach them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
4 inches.
Is that really all the slab depth required for a 2 post? For some reason I thought they needed thicker than normal suburban garage depth. Just curious, what sort of bolts are used in this application. I'd imagine something that mushrooms at the bottom, expanding into the hole so it doesn't pull out?
Vindaloo Racing FTW!!
944's are fun

When the Wright brothers set out to create a flying machine, Science told them it was impossible.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Bla bla bla. Bla bla bla. I can wrench all day, take off my gloves and wash my hands at the end and feel like a normal human being.
/ thread.

I had someone stop by with their car and a question. I spent some time and figured out what was wrong and what was needed to make it right. I carefully went over the steps and tools needed to do the work and then there was this long pause. I had to break it to him that 1. There was 4/5ths of a car on the lift. 2. There was a car under the lift. 3. there was a car sideways in front of the other two car in the shop. 4. There was a car in the driveway. 5. He was welcome to my jack and tools and I might even come out now and then to talk to the feet and legs sticking out but I no longer crawl under cars.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-28-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin..the..3rd View Post
Man that looks awesome, well done. What a huge upgrade.

Another benefit I would imagine is improved access to stuff in the center of the car, like exhaust, prop shaft, etc. where on a scissor lift it's a gymnastics exercise to reach them.

Is that really all the slab depth required for a 2 post? For some reason I thought they needed thicker than normal suburban garage depth. Just curious, what sort of bolts are used in this application. I'd imagine something that mushrooms at the bottom, expanding into the hole so it doesn't pull out?
Yes. this comes up often and many refuse to believe it. For examples of "That can't be right......I am going to add in much more than that." go to the Garage Journal website and search 2 post install. Is seems the GJ min requirement is 45 inch dia 30 foot deep footers under the posts and 18 inches of 5000 psi with 1/2 rebar set 3" on center. The standard min for many lift makers is 3000 psi and 4 inches thick. (real inches too not "man inches")

The most important aspect for a two post is not the slab cracking or shifting it is not having anchor pull out. Good concrete and good install methods is good enough. Almost all automotive lift failures are due to human error. Very few failures of the type people conjure up in their minds.

I like to have rebar set 18" on center along with the standard construction mesh embedded in all slabs garage or not. Rebar better resists vertical alinment shifting than just mesh . Slab stays flat.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-28-2016 at 03:23 PM.