81 Porsche 911SC sunroof coupe. Graphite/ Blk Lthr Int. 141k miles. Full Records. - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted » 81 Porsche 911SC sunroof coupe. Graphite/ Blk Lthr Int. 141k miles. Full Records.

Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted Post For Sale or WTB adds for Porsche & BMW cars here. Strictly moderated.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:29 AM

henrydbrown

Greetings to the Dorkiphus community. For the few of you who knew or remember me, I went quiet on the forum while still in the Marines helping to start U.S. Cyber Command. I retired in 2013 and moved home to TN in 2016 but am still supporting that mission set through industry.

When I sold Nathan this 911SC, I requested 1st dibs if he were to decide to sell it. Since 2010, I’ve reached out to him every year or so to “check in” and it was pretty clear that selling was not on his mind. Then, while on a business trip 2 weeks ago, I got a message that he was ready to part with the car and (true to his word) he would give me the opportunity to re-purchase the car. Although I was totally out of the Porsche scene (I would tell people my Porsche is a John Deere now) I was surprised by the emotional pull and I responded that I was a 90% yes, but needed to discuss with my wife when I got home from my trip.

An aside, I had found this car on EBay in 2007, bought it partially disassembled subsequently re-assembled and dialed it in with your guidance and the assistance of a number of PCar friends. At the time of the sale, I was living in the Maryland suburbs on active duty and didn’t have the time to work on the car or to get to open roads.
Now, I’m retired from the Marines and although still busy, have more flexibility, and more importantly, I live 18 miles from Tail of the Dragon and am surrounded by beautifully maintained mountain roads in and around the Smokey Mountains. I have a different thread on an epic road trip I took that involved mountain roads, I live in that place now.

For the remainder of my business trip, I applied any idle time toward planning the “pitch” to my wife. I decided to open up with a photo of my now 12-year-old in a Baby Bjorn (baby carrier) hanging on me with a wrench in her hand while I worked on the car. A second visual would be me with the baby and the dog inside the car when I was starting to put the interior back in it. I wanted to illustrate to her, at a level I thought she would relate to, the importance of returning this family icon back into the fold.

She knew I was up to something and saw right through the pitch, but she also saw the look in my eyes and not only said yes, but said she wanted to go with me to pick up the car in Florida and drive it back to TN – only one condition, she would get a day in the sun in Florida.

Friday morning, we flew down to Jacksonville where Nathan gave me a thorough turnover on the car’s condition backed up by a continuation of the car’s complete documentation. With only 11k additional miles on the car, and his diligence, it is in better condition than I sold it in. Nathan invested in several significant maintenance undertakings and more importantly has meticulously taken on scores of small projects that differentiate an old 911 “in need of TLC” from a driver that is ready to go. Every light bulb, every gauge, every control works as it should. This car was ready to drive anywhere and without even driving the car, I gave Nathan his (very fair) asking price, and embarked on a 550 mile road trip.

I am definitely out of practice with the 911 clutch and am wondering how heel and toe even works, but it was pure joy to shuttle “the one that go away” home yesterday. This afternoon you can be sure I’ll have her out on some mountain roads (Foothills Parkway) and I have the first A/X of the season on my calendar – 25 March at Dollywood.

If any of you want to drive some mountain roads in the Smoky Mountains let me know and I’ll do everything I can to host & join you – by interstate I’m 8 hours from DC, Blue Ridge Parkway will take a little longer….
Old 02-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Welcome back Marine...congrats on your retirement and getting your car back..

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Welcome back! It is great that you will be able to have a lot of fun driving on the nearby mountain roads. That should definitely serve as a constant reminder about why the car is so much fun to own again.

As luck would have it, I will be in Nashville this Wednesday through Friday...

Unfortunaely I will be in conferences the whole fuching time, though

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 02-18-2018, 11:57 AM

Carrera51

Welcome back! And thank you for your service.

Looked back to the first post and was reminded of the days when you could pick up a nice SC for under 15K. Those days are long gone.
89 944 S2, Baltic Blue
86 944, Garnett Red (son's)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:38 PM

cmartin

Great story, I wish I had mine back, sometimes.

Glad to hear things are working out for you.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:06 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera51 View Post
Welcome back! And thank you for your service.
X2

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 03-22-2018, 10:45 PM

Uncle ENzo

The big question is did he sell it back for the same price! Great story.
2024 Integra 6spd
2021 CX-9
1998 M Roadster - Sold
2021 Taco - Sold
2009 E91 Touring - Sold
2005 S$ Avant - Sold
2007 Carerra S - Sold
1976 911S - Sold
Acura MDX - Dead
2000 e39 528i/5 - Sold