Entrepreneurial Spirit? - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Employment & Networking » Entrepreneurial Spirit?

Employment & Networking Need a job? Looking to hire someone? Post it here.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwemple View Post
Wow, Cliffy, read my last line.
mark, the message of your post was all gloom and doom, dire warnings of failure and misery. very eeyoresque. the last sentence did not change that.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel View Post
There is no pickmeup for Dr. K like the smell of feces in the morning.
Actually, Bob, none of my patients smell like feces. But I haven't seen you as a patient yet...

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM

markwemple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Claven View Post
mark, the message of your post was all gloom and doom, dire warnings of failure and misery. very eeyoresque. the last sentence did not change that.
Just a reality check for all the feel-good posts.
1976 911 S Targa

Formerly:
1964 scca C coupe
1965 C coupe
1968 912 Targa
1970 914/4
1985.5 944

(glutton for punishment)
Now a Potomac Member (sorry guys)
Also: Bugeyes, Vanagons, Fiat Spyder, Ducati 916, BMW R65RT, '78 xs11, cB750k0, ct90k0, ca110 .....

Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them. Mark Twain

...then there was this mind reader who moved to Washington DC and couldn't find work.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Pretty easy to start your own company if you are a mechanical/ electrical/ plumbing/ civil/ structural engineer. Just need your professionsal registrations, then you can register your company as a professional corporation. Investment is minimal: computer, software, plotter. Just need a line on some clients, which is easy enough if you are leaving someone else's company.

Success/ failure depends on a lot of things. There are many occupations you can start on your own and grow to the point where you have 2, 10 or over 100 employees. PCA Potomac is full of people who have started their own businesses.

Pick somehting you are qualified/ licensed to do, and start your own gig

Now if you want to start a business in a field you know very little about, that's a different story.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
I have not had the same outcome. I have been on both sides of the and in between. I have run my own little make things and sell them company, fix things co and worked for a couple of good sizes companys. I have found that you can work for a company and enjoy many positive aspects. In my case I write my own script every day and so long as I am doing a good job I am left to run my team of my own making and do my thing. This holds true as a sole prop too but the risk and added levels of work are far higher. Do good work and be valuable is key to any happy outcome. I strive to do good work and also have the time to go home and do good work there too. "Good" is time for me and the kids and a team at "work" to do my work when I am not there. Totaly unfair in a way but I get the credit when one of my guys does good under my direction. Fair in another way as I trained them all and they work in my system and matrix. I don't have to deal with the lay awake at night crap just the train, tune, act and react aspects of the job. I can take some time away from the day job and spend it at the track or on a river with the kids. Less risk is not something to dismiss when you are also putting your kids future on the table too. In my case I left an entire future track behind in order to secure a stable world for the kids. Might sound like a cop out but it is not. I enjoy my day work and my daily faimly time that is open to be spent as I see fit, not doing paperwork and making calls looking for my money as I used to do as a sole prop. At 4:00 p.m. I am looking at part two of each day. I own part two and it arives paid in full by part one.

YMMV.
Well said

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
@porschesideways

ruffyz

Thanks for all the discussion. I can't argue with Vicegrip on "Do good work and be valuable is key to any happy outcome" nor can I argue with the risk and work being much higher. But I still can't shake the feeling.

Did most people just up and quit their day job? Did you have leads before starting on your own? Were you able to continue working while building up the startup? Did you stay in the same field or move field?

2002 C4S (FOR SALE)
1987 944 (Coil Overs, sold)
2000 Boxster (Long Gone)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

I suspect you will find a health mix of all of the above, and not so much a 'most people'.

If you can accomodate starting up a business while still being gainfully employed, that would provide you with the best financial security. Of course if you have a few hundred $k in the bank you may not need that security, though.

Along the same vein, having some leads is best to help insure cash inflow gets going quicker. It is not mandatory, though. Again, depends on how quickly you need to have income.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 PM

Windnsea

If you want to go into businss for yourself or work in a start up environment, do some soul searching about why you are considering making a change and then assessing the opportunity in terms of fit with your skillsets, personality & temperment. Also assess the commerical viability of the opportunity and the related resource requirements. Make sure that you've got your financial ducks in a row (lines of credit, financial reserves ect..) to support building your business.

Net/net - Like what you do, be really good at it ensure what you do does makes a postive contribution/impact on mankind. From a business standpoint, validate that there is an established demand for your product/service. Getting a small piece of a big pie is better than a big piece of no pie. Be wary of new markets ... need deep pockets to stay in the game.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 AM

APKhaos

Hey ruffyz, if you are still here......

Sounds like you are young, keen, and highly motivated which is a good start. The startup/independent business world is not for everyone, but you'll never know until you try.

Short of diving in and betting the farm on something you have little experience with, you might think about getting yourself hired by a startup or a small business in your field. Think of it as entrepreneurs grad school. Look for a company with a leader with a good reputation and talk to the people in the company privately about how much they have learned from him/her. Good leaders understand that the real strength of a small company is in its people, and that every ounce of effort put into growing their skills and experience pays off many times over. Be prepared to go the extra mile every time. That way you become a valuable member of the team and someone who is likely to get more opportunity to take on new and more demanding challenges.

Choose well, and you will learn a lot about how small business works, what is important, and the level of effort involved in creating success. You'll also learn more about you; how you handle the stretch, the risk, and the stresses that are an integral part of small business life. With that under your belt, you'll be well prepared to make the kind of decision you are considering now. There's no better career path IF you are prepared to put in the work to prepare for it.
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup

Last edited by APKhaos; 07-11-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Consider reading Peter Drucker's article from the Harvard Business Review (decades ago) entitled "Managing Yourself." Make sure your temperament is correct for managing a company. Drucker points out that many people are more effective and more comfortable in the #2 slot, and trying to build up your weaknesses instead of favoring your strengths is inefficient.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa