The question of the week for me. - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » The question of the week for me.

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Rennen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD in DC View Post
The bottom line is that you should probably pick an attorney who specializes in these issues, and ask him or her. You may even get a second opinion from another attorney who specializes in these issues. It is extremely important that the attorney knows insurance law AND the practices of specific companies. An attorney who is brilliant in one area may not have the experience needed to give you the right advice.

As good as it feels to ask guys who worry about the same things you are worrying about, it is probably not the best basis upon which to make your decision. We are not experts in this area, and EVERY case is fact specific.

My advice is biased based upon my experience with insurance companies. I have chosen to use insurance to cover catastrophic losses and self-insure losses up to the point that I am unable to pay at the moment. Many insurance companies, including mine (Geico), will take into account reports of incidents based upon questions to them even if you choose not to file a claim at a later time. I find this to be disgusting, but so is life
Yep, you're right. Thanks for the input.
'93 Midnight Blue RS America
'93 Guards Red RS America (bent & sold)
Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 PM

racer

Given the language that you stated, I would agree with TD that the ball is not in your court on this one. You may spend just as much in "lawyer fees" as you wish to recover from the Ins Co.

Yes, DE is not racing, but Ins Cos have caught on to the popularity and wish to remove themselves from covering them. Maybe it would be worth it to transfer your other cars to another company for coverage and then go after them for the RS.

You don't mention which company you have coverage with. While not looking to singe any one out, I have heard through websites that State Farm and Liberty Mutual have been known to pay out claims from DE incidents. Not sure which other companies are as friendly.

I'd also consider the cost issue.. how much is it worth it to you that they pay the claim? Also consider, as you already have, the future rates you may incur for yourself and any "new drivers" expected in the next 3-5 years.

I don't know if its too early to tell, but "parting out" the entire car as is may net you more money and have enough to buy a 944 to get back into this crazy hobby might be woth considering. Guess part of it comes down to how much you love the red car and want it back to enjoy.

I don't know any of the particulars, but if I recall someone out here with a Silver RSA had similar issues not too long ago. Maybe he can share (online or off)

On another front, since I don't know where all you have posted about your situation, but given the savy of some ins. cos, it may be best not to shed info online if you catch my drift.
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Cliff Claven

Take your attorney's advice. Isn't that why you have an attorney?

I'm with TD, though. If it were me, I'd suck it up and not file a claim on the insurance. My feeling is I do this at my own risk and will pay for what damage happens to my car due to my own bonehead mistakes while driving in a DE, even though it's not a race or race practice. It's not really what insurance is for.

There are groups that won't let you drive in a DE unless you have a certain level of liability insurance.

Whatever you do, don't commit fraud, don't go out and spin your car into a tree and claim it happened on the road. Don't mislead your insurance company as to how it happened. That would be both unethical and immoral, not to mention possibly illegal.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 PM

Datax

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Yes, DE is not racing, but Ins Cos have caught on to the popularity and wish to remove themselves from covering them. Maybe it would be worth it to transfer your other cars to another company for coverage and then go after them for the RS.

You don't mention which company you have coverage with. While not looking to singe any one out, I have heard through websites that State Farm and Liberty Mutual have been known to pay out claims from DE incidents. Not sure which other companies are as friendly.
I emailed Geico that I would like to do Drivers Education courses since my car is hard to drive and wants to spin out all the time. They emailed me back right away saying they are doing some research. After few hours, they asked me what courses that I am going to attend for learning to drive the car. I sent with the links of PCA Potomac DEs and BSR website. Then, they wrote me following email back.

"The type of courses you had provided, high performance driving, auto crossing, etc, are not covered. However, your coverage would extend if you were taking a state-approved driver's education course. The following link is from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicle's approved courses:

http://dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen/drivers/cdl_schools.asp"

Old 04-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Potomac-Greg

Not legal advice, but I'm w/ TD. If you guess wrong, you may be paying the price for years to come. Of course, I do not know what the repair tab is, and how that number affects you personally.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:46 PM

TD in DC

Seriously, though, don't rely on what I stated as my personal gut reaction. I do not practice insurance law. I do not have access to the relevant facts. You are not paying me to analyze your case. Rely on the experts. That's why they are experts.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Have a Grateful day

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datax View Post
http://dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen/drivers/cdl_schools.asp"
You going to sign up?

'19 991 GT3 RS Weissach
'08 997 PCA H class
'89 930 Targa
'18 F150 Raptor
'16 991 GT3 RS
'18 991 GT2 RS
'16 AMG GT S
'10 997 GT3 RS
'07 997 GT3
'09 Aston Martin DBS
'96 993 H Class
'14 F150 Raptor
Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Landjet

Contact Scott {Good Hands}. He is a partner in a All State agency and he helped me with answers to some tricky legal questions regarding insurance companies. Plus he does DE's and loves the track. He's a straight shooter and a nice guy. I'm sure he could shed some light on what you are facing.

Last edited by Landjet; 04-22-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 PM

TD in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landjet View Post
Contact Scott {Good Hands}. He is a partner in a State Farm agency and he helped me with answers to some tricky legal questions regarding insurance companies. Plus he does DE's and loves the track. He's a straight shooter and a nice guy. I'm sure he could shed some light on what you are facing.
I think Scott is a great guy, but for numerous reasons that I will not go into in public, he, as an agent, is the very last person I would contact.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM

Darrell E

There's no way you can get a correct answer due to the very specific nature of each claim and insurance companies policies as many here have stated. My personal experience was several years ago in Washington State with State Farm. They paid a $25k claim on a RS America I had at a track day. The claim included costs to repair and replace very track specific stuff I had on the car. They didn't drop me and my rates increased as if I had had the accident on the road. I had been a customer for over 15 years with very little claim activity and my agent went to bat for me. The claim history stayed with me for three years and two moves to other states and now is no longer considered even though I am no longer a State Farm customer. This was in 2003 andI'm sure the insurance climate has changed due to the popularity of track days. I'm sure I wouldn't be so lucky now and would tend to follow the other's advice to suck it up unless you have an attorney you totally trust who tells you differently. If you have a long-standing relationship with an insurance agent you may want to pose a hypothetical question to him (not the claim department at the company!) Like TD said, even questions will come back to haunt you if you ask the wrong one to the wrong person. I have experience with that as well....

Good luck