Any recommendations for backup generator? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Any recommendations for backup generator?

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 01-04-2021, 11:37 AM

Mark Hubley
Default Any recommendations for backup generator?

This is long overdue, but I think my wife is finally ready to shell out the $$$ for a backup generator for her veterinary clinic. The type that comes on automatically when power goes out. I assume she will need something more robust that what you might get for the typical house, but then we're not powering something the size of the Pentagon.

Any recommendations?

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 01-04-2021, 11:58 AM

cmartin

What fuel? Do you have nat gas available?
Old 01-04-2021, 12:24 PM

Mark Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
What fuel? Do you have nat gas available?
We don't have any gas at this time. However, I believe you can get these things with tanks (LP?) that get filled as needed. Is that correct?

1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 01-04-2021, 01:02 PM

racer

"Generac" is the name I see on TV with back up power supply equipment.
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 01-04-2021, 01:11 PM

cmartin

You can get a propane tank, I have a buried one. Another option is diesel, but will need tanks tool. What service level do you need? Only a few lights, run the xray machines? How many amps service now? What is your expected run time on the gen? Just a few minutes/hours maybe once in a while? Be ready for days on end of use?
Old 01-04-2021, 01:17 PM

dnwong

You are going to need a transfer switch tied in the existing panel. I assume this is a commercial building.
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build
Old 01-04-2021, 01:55 PM

BillC has one HoF thread

We had a whole-house automatic backup generator installed about 15 or so years ago. For the most part, it's been very nice.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • There are two big brand names in residential fixed-site backup generators: Kohler and Generac.
  • Based on our experience with our Generac generator, I strongly recommend that you look at getting a Kohler generator. Mechanically, the Generac has been solid, but the control electronics aren't the most durable -- we've had to replace the computer once already.
  • Both Kohler and Generac require that the generator and transfer panel be installed by an approved contractor, or they/you won't be able to install the "automatic start/stop" software patch.
  • Once installed, any good electrical contractor can do the maintenance on the generator, if you decide you don't want to do it yourself. The factory-approved contractors tend to be significantly more expensive for maintenance than the non-approved ones.
  • Look at getting a generator big enough to run everything, for two reasons:
    - It's very convenient to have everything be powered, instead of regretting getting a too-small generator later on.
    - It's easier to use the current main breaker panel as the daughter panel from the new transfer switch. Otherwise, you'll need to install a new box and transfer over all the circuits that will be backed up.

Previous:
1973 914 1.7 1/4 impulse
2012 Cayman R warp 4
2006 Cayman S warp 3
1999 SPB warp 2, maybe
1966 911 warp 1.5

Last edited by BillC; 01-04-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:58 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Check local building codes and zoning ordinances to see where it is okay to install. May not be able to ground-mount it wherever. Or roof mounting, they could require a screen wall, etc. Could be worth a visit to the county permitting and/ or zoning office to ask.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-04-2021, 02:31 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

I deal with them all the time. Need to start an idea of size first. Little one to keep the lights on or 100% power replacement? What is your source of heat in the winter? Do you house animals on site?

Natural gas is a good fuel as it does not gum up when the system sits. It is a double edged sword I it has an unlimited fuel supply if the lines are good but no fuel or way to bypass if the lines are not good.
Diesel is good if you want long run times and don’t have natural gas. (I have a big diesel whole house and 6 weeks of 24/7 fuel)
Stabilized property diesel fuel can last well. It has some downsides. You have to run it now and then and it is hard to start in the deep cold. I run it once a week for 20 min and twice a year I switch over to have it run the house. It is hard to start when it is real cold. The set is environmentally boxed and has its own shed.
Propane is a good alt if natural gas is not available. All the good aspects of non gumming fuel but you have to have a tank installed somewhere.
Gasoline is the least favorite of the bunch for long term full load systems due to the fuel itself. That said it can work if the setup is done well.
You see it have a timed exerciser to run it once a week and you need to service it now a d then of it will fail on you when you need it. Trust me, I have had far too many calls for non running backup generators when the power is out.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:41 PM

Mark Hubley

I don't know all the specs (such as a number for the power requirement), and I assume that will be reviewed with the contractor. Here's what I can tell you for now . . .

For a few years now Susan and her team have been doing full-fledged surgeries on horses. We don't have frequent power outages, but I think she's been lucky we haven't had some sort of issue in the middle of a procedure.

1. I figure we need to be prepared to function on backup for 48 hours, or maybe a few days.

2. I think it makes sense to have something that can pretty much power the whole facility: lights, HVAC (two heat pumps), well pump, computers, equipment, etc.

3. Something that comes on more-or-less instantly will be nice.

We have a pigtail that I can plug into with a portable generator, and then I have to pick and choose what to turn on/off. That has gotten us through multiple power outages over the past fifteen years, but we are past the point where we need something better than that.

1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944