Please DON'T Save Me, or Save Me from PSM - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Please DON'T Save Me, or Save Me from PSM

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:16 PM

vranko has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Installing a yaw sensor kill switch is the only known way to completely turn off PSM without mangling the electrical system. However, on 987.2's (including the CR) the switch also kills the "sport" mode, so it reverts to the base throttle modulation.

Correct. Since I had the Softronic flash and Sport mode I asked Softronic to make both maps the same for me. I liked the Sport Mode throttle sensitivity, especially for H/T.

When I installed my yaw sensor disable switch and used it for the first time I realized just how much intervention PSM “off” was doing. I had done a few runs with yaw enabled and PSM off at Mid-Ohio. The next run, 5 or so laps in, I disabled the yaw sensor. I almost spun the car twice. PSM, even off, was hiding a setup issue (too firm rear bar setup). PSM light would never come on and I never felt PSM intervention. I fixed the setup and have run with yaw disabled ever since.

2024 BMW G87 ///M2 (Next 444)
2021 Toyota Supra GR (The Bupra, Other 444)
2016 BMW M235
2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2007 Cayman S, #444
2013 Golf R
2012 BWM x5
2017 Mazda MX-5 Club
3 time DE Parade Lap Champion
#BestInstructorEver - Unknown
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 PM

smayst824

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Installing a yaw sensor kill switch is the only known way to completely turn off PSM without mangling the electrical system. However, on 987.2's (including the CR) the switch also kills the "sport" mode, so it reverts to the base throttle modulation.

So, if you want to really turn off PSM, don't waste your money on the sport software & switch.
Thanks, BillC... that's good to know.

I just found something (though unconfirmed) that may explain at least partly why my first Cayman R didn't have this problem. It had PCCB brakes that were converted to steel rotors. Apparently cars with PCCBs are coded so the PSM system reduces the amount of intervention by the brakes... perhaps having the car still coded for PCCBs and having steel rotors made it less effective.

2016 GT4 (Black)
2012 Cayman R (Silver - Sold)
2012 Cayman R (Black - RIP)
2002 Boxster S (Now my brother's)
2004 Cayenne S (Sold)

The day I bought my first car, my father told me, "Just remember... you can't drive your house, but you can sleep in your car."