Fitting Poly Bushings - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Fitting Poly Bushings

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 12-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation
Default Fitting Poly Bushings

Anyone in the area have experience or know of a good local shop that can hand fit the front a-arm poly bushings? I may have a lathe to use for a few days, but i'm a bit uneasy about taking off too much. I should have the bushings from Pelican and a-arms back from ASCO this week, so possibly fitting them this weekend. I also have the brass bushings from Elephant, but since I'm the 5th person to purchase....I'd rather not be the guinea pig.

-Charlie
Old 12-15-2002, 09:12 PM

Marc A

Did someone say they needed a guinea pig

The brass bushing are perfect in concept, but I would wonder about the effect on the ride, since rubber and to a lesser exstent poly, absorb shock. Can't imagine that brass does.

My 2 cents.
'86 951 LS1 (C-2) Gone
'77 911 3.2 (C-1) Gone
3.2 Conversion and 915 Rebuild Home Page
The 958 Conversion
Old 12-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Site Admin

__________________________________________________ _________
The brass bushing are perfect in concept, but I would wonder about the effect on the ride, since rubber and to a lesser exstent poly, absorb shock. Can't imagine that brass does.
__________________________________________________ _________

Marc,

My thoughts exactly. Chuck says that the brass are machined just enough to create a light press fit within the bushing housings, not needing a lathe (which is a plus). I have his install .doc at work that I'll post tomorrow. I have a feeling the brass would produce a ride a bit too harsh for a primarily street driven car.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Aquila Legalis

targa911man

Charlie--

I seoond Marc's thoughts. While I don't have personal experience with the issue, I have seen several comments in Pelican and Rennlist threads that the brass bushings ride pretty rough on the street.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:52 PM
Site Admin

its oh soo tempting to install the brass, I still have about a week to decide. Mabye I'll call check and see if the others have commented.

If I do decide on the poly, would anyone be able to assist with hand fitting?!
Old 12-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Aquila Legalis

targa911man

Charlie--

Depending on when you do it and the time involved, I can help. I have my own hammer. And a chisel.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Site Admin

Just spoke with Steve at Rennsport Systems while ordering t-bars. His opinion regarding the brass bushings is to NOT install the brass as they will wear rapidly and the ride will be extremely harsh. His opinion was to install spherical bearings if a solid mount is needed for race applications only. He also said if the poly are fitted correctly they are a very nice ride and will wear quite well.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:32 AM
Site Admin

Dan,

Thanks for the offer. I still dont have the poly or the a-arms back from the shop yet, so its looking like a couple weeks yet. I've heard of a tool library in Tacoma Park where you can check out or use their tools in-house tools, still trying to track it down. If not, I may have to rig up something with a hand drill and some medium grit sand paper, or a gopher may work as well as a hammer and chisel

-Charlie
Old 12-20-2002, 06:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Problem Solved.....no lathe needed

I recieved the Weltmeister poly a-arm bushings from Pelican this afternoon. NO OD trimming needed to fit into the housing!! I could push them in by hand with a decent amount of friction, but not nearly enough to deform the ID. I tried fitting the Elephant Brass and those were a bit too loose, obvious play in the housing....cling, cling, cling. Have not had a chance to check ID...see below

Mabye Weltmeister has changed their dimensions, improved their manufacuring process, or all 4 of my housings expanded some how....mabye as the Elephant bushings were loose?

Stopped by ASCO to pick up all my suspension bits, but they forgot to clear-coat the cross member and they coated the a-arm bushing surface, so I had to leave those for them to fix. The parts I did get to inspect looked very nice, 100% satisfied. They will get the a-arms and the crossmsmber done for me on Monday and someone will meet me Tuesday morning in front of the store (they are closed) to hand off my parts. How cool is that.

-Charlie
Old 12-20-2002, 07:28 PM

rs911t has one HoF thread

Good to hear, Charlie. I have to admit I was skeptical. The bushings on my a-arms are Weltmeister and didn't look to me as if they had been cut down. Onced cleaned and greased, there's a firm, consistent fit all around. Hey! I think I'll go downstairs and put'em on!!

When in doubt, always mount a scratch monkey.

Leesburg, VA