I Miss You Guys - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 01-01-2019, 05:20 PM

HoodPin

Sorry to hear about what you've been going through. Hoping things go better for you in 2019, and that we get to hang out with you soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:55 AM

Roo

Eric,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a challenging time and I applaud your positive attitude. You're in our prayers for a successful recovery and bright 2019.

83 911SC
12 Lexus CT 200h
08 Outback wagon
04 F250 SD

Truth be it known, I just like working on cars - Slick Henderson
Old 01-02-2019, 09:49 AM

87turbolook911

Eric,

Always admired how well you took car of your "track" cars. Sorry to hear about your health issues and wish you a better 2019.

Vu
Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Eric S

All - Thank you for your well wishes; sincerely appreciated.

Difficult to explain the litany of issues and compounded complications, but there were times in the past couple of months when my choice was to be be put out of my misery. Done with the illness, done with the meds, done with the fight. Done. I am down to 196lbs (from 258, though that was heavy) from lack of appetite so it was all muscle loss. No food = no energy, and still cannot sleep. Vicious downward spiral.

With positive reinforcement from friends, I'm trying the turn the corner. I will get better. I am committed to getting better.
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 01-02-2019, 02:47 PM
Rusty Grinderschmütz

Andy Clements

Sorry to hear about the tough times Eric. Best of luck on the road to recovery, and hope to see you around the paddock someday soon.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Hunter

Eric,

Keep your eyes up, your positive spirit will follow and you will recover.

All the best.

2023 Audi Q7 Daily Driver
Considering next Porsche
1990 964, Red, Number 692 (Misty) sold
2010 Trailex (Dusty) sold
2003 996, (Speedy) Grey sold

Life is short; just drive....... (boat, bike, etc.)
Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 PM

Chakka

Really sorry to hear all you're going thru Eric and having gone thru some similar health issues with my wife, I have some understanding to it. Although each situation is different, the positive wishes(and prayers) from friends and loved ones, really helps. Wishing you all the best on taking great steps forward in 2019.
Side note, I always appreciated some level of comparison of my RSA's "track" condition to Eric Strattons RSA, which was the gold standard
All the best Eric!
05' Cayenne S
86' 928s
14' Cayenne Diesel (gone)
13' E92 M3 Silverstone II (competition pkg.)(gone)
07'-17' Child's tuition
09' Jaguar XKR Portfolio(gone)
93' RSA Guards Red (gone)
85' Black Targa (gone)
06' M5 Indilagos Blue (gone)
01' 996 Ducati (1st porsche down payment)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Eric S
Thumbs up Sharing Good News

Thank you all again for your kind words and expressions of support; sincerely appreciated. I'm happy to share some good news - fortunately, I have improved and it has been long enough that I trust it will last. After all of my doctors threw up their hands and gave up, I was admitted to an Undiagnosed Disease Study at NIH, where they initially ruled out cancer via full-body PET scans, then honed in on the overriding issue: Drug Fever - I had developed an allergy to the primary chronic Lyme antibiotic, minocycline. The allergy was an acquired autoimmune response that was attacking the antibiotic and my body, resulting in the nightly high fevers, severe whole-body inflammation and extreme 43 lb. weight loss. Within a month of stopping the minocycline I was starting to make improvements, and now I'm feeling pretty good and have even gradually resumed riding my bicycle. I meet with my Lyme doctor next week to discuss the plan going forward since my chronic Lyme is not yet in remission; my current inclination is to avoid further antibiotics at this time.

The severity of this illness forced me to prioritize regaining my health. Now that my health is improving, my sights are set on preparing for retirement and the realities of living on a reduced, fixed income. The next big decision I want to make is where to retire to as a new home base - somewhere less expensive, more relaxed, with comfortable/moderate weather and convenient to major airport, natural outdoor activities, etc. (I’m open to ideas and recommendations). I've been making investments in updating my current home so that it will be very easy to sell when the time comes.

I remember with great fondness the days when I was focused on the planning and preparations for my track events. Being immersed in the spirit of road trips/mini-vacations together with my favorite track buddies, focused on development and perfecting the performance and readiness of my car, and consumed by the passion for driving at the limit that generated the most exquisite adrenaline and exhilaration; it was exciting and I consider it a blessing to have enjoyed it for 18 years. Now, I'm looking forward to finding new passion and seeking new adventures (which somehow will still include cars and driving)!

I look forward to seeing you all again soon!

Eric
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 06-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

That's excellent news!

I dont have a particular place to advise on retirement, but we've long felt that having a university in the retirement neighborhood would be very valuable for both educational and entertainment reasons. Maybe something to add to your criteria if not already there. It also brings a stream of potential rental customers if that's a part of your retirement business plan.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Eric, glad you are doing better.

For your retirement plans, I recommend you relocate within easy walking distance of a high-end car washing business, and apply for a part-time job. It will keep you occupied and give you some extra $. Plus you will be in heaven.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...