I Miss You Guys - Dorkiphus.net

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 12-31-2018, 05:57 PM

Eric S
Default I Miss You Guys

Sorry for the long absence. It has taken a long time for me to be comfortable writing this.

My time spent track driving was a pure pleasure. I loved developing my RSA and GT3, the anticipation of driving a new or favorite circuit, learning and improving my driving skills, and sharing the camaraderie with friends in the paddock wherever I went. Each event was a mini-vacation that allowed me to escape the real world for a few days. And the road trips, wow; truly exceptional. My last road trip was my 8th trip to Canada, driving both LCMT and Gosport in July 2017. So glad I did, because that was the first time I drove the GT3 at Mosport, and it was the most exhilarating event of my career. But after 18 years of track driving being my passion, conditions necessitated a life change. Here is a summary.

As I suspect most of you know, I had an accident at the 2017 Potomac Labor Day event. An embarrassing and unnecessary incident: after putting in 10 of my best laps at VIR, and knowing that I was going to double stint in the following Black session, I thought "next lap will be checker, I should do a full lap cool-down because it will be better for the car". I relaxed and drifted a little wide around T16 apex - which I figure I had taken over 4,000 times without so much as an afterthought – which was a non-issue until the right side transitioned from asphalt to fresh sealant and started to lose grip and slowly rotate, so slow I couldn't even feel it. My adrenaline had dropped from max to min, and I was too slow to react. Dammit. I slid through the grass down the hill and hit the tire wall broadside, driver's side, hard enough to pop the passenger frontal airbag. Impact details are not available because my data acquisition system was not working.

Thankfully, I had purchased track insurance. But realize that they automatically total a car when it reaches 70-75% of the insured value. The damage was all cosmetic and with the exception of the left rear fender, all was bolt-on; the engine ran and we drove it into the body shop. There was no chassis damage, and I think the alignment was even still good. It was the price of replacement parts that threw my car over the threshold. It adds up fast when you consider $22k for the deck lid and wing, $6.5k for the front bumper, etc., all without bolt-on bits, prep and paint.

Since the accident, I’ve been dealing with severe health issues. I missed over six months of work; my disability was denied, so six months without pay while shelling out up to $6k/month from treatments not covered by insurance. I’ve been in treatment for 15 months and have about 12-18 months more to go. On top of my underlying chronic condition, some mystery virus kicked my ass for over three months; there were times when my preference was to be put out of my misery, but I’m starting to slowly improve. I’m still down 35lbs of muscle mass because I have little/no appetite. I hope some day to get back to normal, but realize that the new normal will be different. I have a long road ahead, and must stay positive and focus on finding the place where I want to, and can afford to, retire.

I am in the process of selling off everything track related, so watch for posts in For Sale. Two sets of forged monoblock Finspeed 5-lug wheels, Kirkey race seats, etc. As for the car, it was bought and resurrected by Autometrics, the builder of the engine and gearbox, and they have it posted on Bring a Trailer: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...omment-2827944 The auction ends on Jan 2nd, and it is going to be a great deal for whoever gets it (salvage title).

I truly miss driving, the track and my friends. When the time is right, I will visit the track and instruct.

Eric
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 12-31-2018, 06:10 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

!

Hope that 2019 turns things around for you.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:13 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Sorry to hear all that Eric. I know we discussed this last year and it seems it's gotten worse for you. Best wishes for a better 2019.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

I hope you recover at a quicker pace in 2019. Sorry to hear about your issues.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 12-31-2018, 09:13 PM

Of Porsche

Sorry to hear of the misfortunes Eric however stay strong. You are a great instructor (my first at WG) & great guy also. Totally expect to see you back at the track. Best to you.
'06 997 S
Old 12-31-2018, 09:17 PM

N Fotouhi

Eric,
Best wishes for a full recovery. I had no idea and have been attributing your absence to not having the car back together.
Wishing you the best.
Nader

There are 3 sides to every story. Mine, yours, and the truth.

91 944 S2 - Mine, Sold
7? 914-6 Vintage racer - Mine
93 964 - Not mine
95 993 - Hers - Sold and will be missed
04 GT3 - ours? Doing double duties at DE, anyway
06 987 - Hers - plan to let son use for DE - My DIY
A few others
Old 01-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Richard Curtis

Eric, so sorry to hear your story, but I wish you the best for continuing improvement. From personal experience, i can attest to the power of a positive attitude. No retreat, no surrender.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Dave O

I hope you have a great 2019. Go forward.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:02 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Fotouhi View Post
Eric,
Best wishes for a full recovery. I had no idea and have been attributing your absence to not having the car back together.
Wishing you the best.
Nader
X2 Godspeed on your recovery and return to full strength.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 01-01-2019, 12:43 PM

Croc R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
X2 Godspeed on your recovery and return to full strength.

x3