OneLap build - '87 951 w/ LSx - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » OneLap build - '87 951 w/ LSx

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:44 PM

cmartin

200mph here we come!
Old 10-19-2020, 02:50 PM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
200mph here we come!
Hah, not with me driving. I'm guessing that the car will see easily 150mph on a decent-length straight like either the front or back straight at VIR-F.

I personally have never driven a car that would see more than 135 at VIR, so this will be new territory for me.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:02 PM

cmartin

Too cool. Nice to have a motor with the torque to gear like that.

I'll never forget coming around oaktree for the first time in my new to me car and hitting redline almost what seemed like right away. Car geared for autox isnt so great at VIR.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:18 PM

tomfree

It's time to spend more money... Bob has one more car in front of mine - another 944 LS swap. He anticipates starting on my car in mid/late December.

- Bought the headers today. They are custom long tube headers built specifically for this swap. I don't want the car to be obscenely loud, so I'm going to mitigate with a big resonator and a big muffler, and likely some Dynamat-type sound deadening added under the carpet.

- Talked to Bob about engine options. It's still on the table that he could just rebuild the existing LS1, but he just got an LS1/LS7 hybrid short block into the shop from another customer who is keeping their heads\cam and upgrading the bottom end for ludicrous power. It's an LS1 block with a forged LS7 crank, forged pistons, and titanium rods. He wasn't 100% sure on the displacement, but it's somewhere around a 383, vs the 347 of the regular LS1. It would get new bearings and a general freshening before going into the car. We'd try to re-use the heads off the "bad" motor if they're usable. We would have to pick a cam and valvetrain that matches the rev-range. If the outcome is a massively overbuilt motor that would be understressed at ~400whp, that's a good thing.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:43 AM

tomfree

Lots of activity this week.
- bought a bunch of fiberglass as detailed here
- bought a bunch of LS Swap parts from TPC (the one in TX...)
- discussed plans for the cylinder head work and cam
Old 01-20-2021, 02:08 PM

tomfree

The car moves into Bob's shop late this week, and work should start next week. Not surprisingly, there are some delays on parts.

- My 968 RS Turbo spoiler is stuck in NY after USPS accepted it from Hungary Post. Getting someone at the USPS to talk to has been impossible. CS phone will absolutely not allow you to get to a live agent, and all the links on the website that allow you to submit a ticket for assistance are broken.

- The splitter and fender flares from Broadfoot Racing haven't been shipped yet. I'm talking with them today to see what the delay is.

- The engine builder can't get the custom pistons he ordered for the 382ci LSx hybrid I talked about earlier in the thread.

There is still plenty of work that can be done as we round up these parts.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:04 PM

tomfree

Unfortunately, the car delivery didn't happen the other week, but should arrive this Friday or early next week.

- My 968 RS Turbo spoiler has been delivered. It was stuck in customs for a month and finally cleared last week.
- After 3 calls and 2 emails to Broadfoot, my splitter, rocker panels, and flares arrived yesterday.
- Custom pistons are coming from Ross Pistons - should arrive in the next 2 weeks, we hope.

We have everything we need for the body work, so I'm guessing Bob will do that first when the car lands.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:48 AM

tomfree

Boy has this not gone according to my schedule! It's still alive, but any schedule has been tossed out the window. I'm hoping it will be ready for OneLap '22, but I'm already lining up another ride, just in case.

The custom pistons ordered from Ross in January were delivered in mid-September. Yeah...September. The car sat untouched in the corner of Bob's shop for 8 months, but thankfully, we're getting traction again. Unfortunately, the engine-builder has a big waiting list because of situations like mine...raw materials are being delivered... shops are making/delivering components now. It's going to be late November before the bottom end is assembled.

We got the intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel delivery wrapped up last week. We're doing a factory LS6 (C5 Z06) intake/TB/fuel rail/injectors. Since the kit is built around a cable throttle, this is about the best option that still fits under the hood.

We have direction on the top end - 799 casting heads, valve job, and mild porting. The 799 is from the 5.3l High output engine in later trucks. The casting is identical to the C5 Z06/LS6 (243), but with truck valves and valve springs.

We'll do better valves, valve springs to support the revs, and a "trunion" upgrade to make the rocker arms happier at high revs. That makes starting with the truck heads (cheaper) much better than starting with the more pricey 243 heads with the C5 Z06 stuff that we wouldn't use anyway.

Up this week is picking a cam. We were going to do custom-ground originally, but that vendor has a huge backlog. Bob has some recommendations for off-the-shelf cams, so we'll have a call and pick the right one.

This is a good problem to have, but it looks like I'll overachieve on my HP goals. I was shooting for 400rwhp originally. It will have cats and a relatively quiet exhaust because I like my neighbors, so with a 6.2l, ported heads, mild cam, long-tube headers, we should be around 450.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:19 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

What are you thinking about for your backup plans for 22?

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 10-04-2021, 04:40 PM

cmartin

What about the cam from the ls376? Pretty impressive motor, not to mention a warranty

Quote:
Camshaft Type (P/N 88958753): Hydraulic roller
Valve Lift (in.): .525 intake / .525 exhaust
Camshaft Duration (@.050 in.): 219° intake / 228° exhaust