Negotiate Salary - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Employment & Networking » Negotiate Salary

Employment & Networking Need a job? Looking to hire someone? Post it here.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
tire walls are bouncy

Lupin..the..3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88carrera View Post
What should I say when she says to me: your salary will be $xx
If $x is what you wanted, then you say great, where do I sign?

If $x is not what you wanted, then you reply: No, my salary will be $y. If she declines, you thank her for her time and leave.

Good job on padding it a bit, they expect that, which is why they'll counter offer with something slightly lower - and hopefully what you were looking for. You have to play the game and go back and forth with them, but don't be afraid to decline their final offer. Chances are you'd make a bigger salary jump upwards by leaving and going somewhere else anyhow.
Vindaloo Racing FTW!!
944's are fun

When the Wright brothers set out to create a flying machine, Science told them it was impossible.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Addict

Fritz has one HoF thread

What industry are you in? That makes a big difference. Assuming your are in technology, then everyone has been giving you a lot of good advice. It's one of the more in demand fields and you have more leverage then you would if you were in a shoe manufacturing plant.

If you've been around your company for a long time, I'll assume that it either got boring and you are looking for something new or you want to see what more you can earn, but would be happy staying. If you are happy to stay where you are at, then you can be more aggressive in your bargaining with the assumption that you can turn down their offer be fine. If you really really want the job, then you may have to be more sensitive towards the hiring company's bottom line. Personally, I don't know why people in Technology would switch jobs for less than a 10K+ increase unless they are miserable and I always assume candidates think the same way. So if the hiring company is offering lateral moves or minimal increases, they may be hunting for a good deal instead of a good candidate.

Research is key. It is still business from both ends so don't take anything personal. Having hired 30+ technical folks over the last several years and also having just taken a new position recently myself, I've learned it's important to be prepared for everything. Know appropriate salary ranges, know why you are different from John Doe, know your desires, and know that no matter what happens it'll be a learning experience.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Remember for yourself, you can get more $ moving to a new place, but that entails some risk/learning curve for you. Internal = safe = know where the cafeteria is and good parking = not as much raise.

When considering a new position outside the organization, is the uncertainty/hassle factor of learning a new place worth the raise? Conversely, is the tried and true (for you) worth a lower raise? All different ways to think about it.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin..the..3rd View Post
but don't be afraid to decline their final offer. Chances are you'd make a bigger salary jump upwards by leaving and going somewhere else anyhow.
exactly. and it's summer. meaning you can use the time off wisely: buy a trailer, set it up for making and selling french fries, hook it to your pickup and head for a beach town. find some college girls to work in the trailer selling fries while you hang out on the beach. no wurez
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Claven View Post
exactly. and it's summer. meaning you can use the time off wisely: buy a trailer, set it up for making and selling french fries, hook it to your pickup and head for a beach town. find some college girls to work in the trailer selling fries while you hang out on the beach. no wurez
I did that once... wish I hadn't sold the truck

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM

John Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Claven View Post
Or load the kids into the Boxster....won't fit...er 944..won't fit...er E36 and go on a camping/track tour....

Who was that guy who said trailers for DE are silly??
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 PM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
I did that once... wish I hadn't sold the truck
lol, back when you were "living the life of riley"

oh snap, with all the cars someone keeps buying you, maybe you still are
Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 AM

88carrera

Sorry for the late replies guys I just finished prepping for the interview on Thursday. I am in branch banking and the salary range for this job is $56,200 to $99,800.

I have a proven track record of success in sales, and also in training people for sales. In the last 1.5 years I've taken note of the number of incompetent people they've hired, that somehow command salaries nearly at the top of the range.

Thank you for all the replies. Hopefully all will go well and I can put some of these techniques to use.
(SOLD) 1974 Datsun 260z, 1997 911, 1988 911
Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 PM

88carrera

The interview went well and the district manager recommended I move to a second interview with the regional president. They have some other candidates but I remain hopeful.
(SOLD) 1974 Datsun 260z, 1997 911, 1988 911
Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM

joep

2nd round is always good! G'luck!
-de-ambered
-Boxster Brey-Krause Roll Bar
'05 - 955s Gold - My Other / On Road / Off Road
-coolant pipe by pass 08/11
-heart & short soul block replaced @50k 01/12
-cardan shafted & replaced @125k 09/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
I could feel my self-esteem rising, even while realizing how incorrect I was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V View Post
I think I like the purple, it placates my lesbian side.