WTB: Converting my 914 to 5 lug - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Porsche & BMW Parts For Sale/Wanted » WTB: Converting my 914 to 5 lug

Porsche & BMW Parts For Sale/Wanted Have Porsche/BMW clutter? Need something for your car? Post For Sale or WTB adds here. Strictly moderated.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 PM

reds

If you haven't already, reach out to Steve Limbert @ Air Cooled Racing. He usually has everything in stock to do the conversion.

The Front struts are getting silly-expensive ever since the Bilstein struts temporarily went out of production (both race and street). Good deals are still out there but salvage yards now want ~$900 for the struts alone, be it bilstein or boge.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:05 PM

JmuRiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNewton View Post
From practical experience at Summit: Do NOT use a rear sway bar on these. They become amazingly diabolical... With the rear bar on the softest setting, it oversteered like a b****.
Good to know, is that true with skinny wheels/tires too? I run 205 section tires and have a rear bar...I could never catch the rear end on the skidpad when doing the HPDC.
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 02-12-2018, 02:32 PM

Ecke Liebhaber

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-complete.html

911 front suspension FS on Pelican
Old 02-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Casey914 has two HoF threadsCasey914 has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
If you haven't already, reach out to Steve Limbert @ Air Cooled Racing. He usually has everything in stock to do the conversion.

The Front struts are getting silly-expensive ever since the Bilstein struts temporarily went out of production (both race and street). Good deals are still out there but salvage yards now want ~$900 for the struts alone, be it bilstein or boge.
Thanks but I dont do business with them.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:18 PM

Casey914 has two HoF threadsCasey914 has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecke Liebhaber View Post
I appreciate your response... I think going for the later strut w/3.5" brake caliper might be the best move.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
From practical experience at Summit: Do NOT use a rear sway bar on these. They become amazingly diabolical. On my set up: 8x15 Fuchs on all four corners and Goodyear 9" G19s. Without the rear, the car was neutral and could be placed in any position (I always played around with T10; outside, inside (careful, you tend to get awfully close to track left. . .) and center. With the rear bar on the softest setting, it oversteered like a b****.
Loose is fast

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 PM

racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey914 View Post
Racer, do you know what the guy was looking for for the lot of parts?
If it was the bottom link I had with the full set up, I think the thread said the whole thing sold for $2200.

Rear sway bars.. its like asking what oil to use. With that, I chime in for using a rear swaybar. That said, my cars have never been aggressively rear sprung, so a bar always keeps it steadier for me.

On this website is a pic of my stock 914/6 when the rear bar was not engaged (bushing failure). it was in one of the running slide shows. Not sure if its just cached on my machine now though https://pcapotomac.org/

And yes, to build a car like the green one pic'd is a tens of thousands of dollars of work proposition. But Irish Green sure looks awesome.

imho, boxster brakes are overkill unless you are going really hot 3.2-3.6 motor. 930 brakes are nice.. or just SC/Carrera brakes. While I won't comment on prices, Doug Arnao used to be a fantastic brake/suspension guru when I lived in NJ if you have questions. (http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/vciweb0.htm )

These guys have a bunch of great 914 "stuff" http://www.tangerineracing.com/

and I've been partial to these "smooth" flares vs GT flares...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daino_6.jpg (36.9 KB, 59 views)
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc

Last edited by racer; 02-12-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 AM

DonNewton

"Good to know, is that true with skinny wheels/tires too? I run 205 section tires and have a rear bar...I could never catch the rear end on the skidpad when doing the HPDC."
Even with smaller sections, once you "tighten" the rear, you send the vertical moment arm towards the front of the car. Left on its own, the VPM (Vertical Polar Moment) is just behind your right elbow, all good. Next time you go to a HPDC, try to take some time and play with the tension on the rear bar. I think you'll find that softer is better.

"Loose is fast." Yep, right up the point you go agricultural. Turn three at Summit ( nice, gentle left turn, on camber, all good!) would become a point of concern. Just the hint that I'd be turning would send the rear out towards the 'gators. Completely eliminated the bar and got it under control. I guess the fact that I had 400# springs didn't help. . .
Old 02-13-2018, 06:18 AM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
"Loose is fast." Yep, right up the point you go agricultural. Turn three at Summit ( nice, gentle left turn, on camber, all good!) would become a point of concern. Just the hint that I'd be turning would send the rear out towards the 'gators. Completely eliminated the bar and got it under control. I guess the fact that I had 400# springs didn't help. . .
600# springs on mine fixed that and more gas when she got loose in three and ten at Summit. Yes you needed to be on top of the wheel but she would crab thru ten, what fun, I really miss that car. The 3.2 helped a bit as well. I almost forgot about the lsd and short gears, it really is about the entire package

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two

Last edited by Patrick3000; 02-13-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:24 PM

trytryagain

This picture lifted from the weekly PCA newsletter seems worthy..

http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=ELo...PJyuLpxYANVzfA

2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)