New tool thread - Page 24 - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:01 PM

cmartin

so simple, thanks.

I've been wearing a headlamp or using an Astro led similar to the HF version just mentioned. Works ok but not great. Yesterday I tried one of these

Didnt have high hopes, I'm not small and something around my neck sounded confining. Not the case. After the first few minutes I forgot I was wearing it , damn thing just worked. I used a snap on version, a quick check shows several similar options. Very impressed, but only used for 1 day so far.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:50 PM

av8bpilot

Picked up this little guy just the other day on sale at HF. Titanium Flux 125 FCAW to do the random odd-job welding tasks that come up. Particularly, I needed to weld some studs in for my dynamo-to-alternator conversion in the Fiat project and go tired of trying to hunt local welders down every now and then.

I haven't welded anything in ~25 years, so it's not pretty, but it should hold, and it's hidden anyhow. Did a little practice on an old wheel I had laying about, but a lot more is needed before I start thinking about welding body panels or anything.
Attached Images

2012 Cayman S Black Edition [378/500]
2008 Cayman S - SOLD
1966 Fiat 500F
Old 01-12-2021, 12:47 AM

slbates

I purchased a similar one for HF a few years ago. I had not done any welding for 30 years either (Lincoln buzz box, 6013 rods) keeping construction equipment in order back then. I was able to do pretty good straight out of the box as well. With an AC welder so you do have to deal with a little splatter but I don't mind considering price paid. I have had better results using the Lincoln Innershield wire in mine. I have successfully repaired mower frames and other small stuff with this little $80 welder
911SC (gone)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:47 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

I picked up one of these to use with the Great Reflooring of the Volvo - steel wheel with diamonds, about $15, cuts clean, less dust than abrasive and hopefully less likely to disintegrate into flying daggers.

(But if it does disintegrate, it's gonna hurt!)

Old 02-02-2021, 12:41 AM

cmartin

I'm thinking upgrading my diagnostic software, anyone have a Autel ms906 or ms908? I've watched a bunch of youtube but I'm still a little gun shy. Nothing like springing for the $$ tool and it doesnt work as advertised.

If not an Autel, what are you using for system tasking and vendor specific reading/coding?
Old 02-09-2021, 11:29 AM

Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
I'm thinking upgrading my diagnostic software, anyone have a Autel ms906 or ms908? I've watched a bunch of youtube but I'm still a little gun shy. Nothing like springing for the $$ tool and it doesnt work as advertised.

If not an Autel, what are you using for system tasking and vendor specific reading/coding?

I have a Autel MaxiSys Elite. It has been pretty decent tool. I use it mostly on BMWs, so I can't speak to it's capabilities on other makes. I have had some issues with the battery in my tool, as it has been replaced twice by Autel. Autel's customer service/tech help is lacking, especially in comparison to Autologic. Overall a good tool for the money.

Clarke

'79 SC Euro
'93 BMW 325is
'54 Chevy 210
Old 02-11-2021, 10:50 AM

cmartin

Thanks!