Video cam recommendations for the track - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Video cam recommendations for the track

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

View Poll Results: Which action cam would you buy today for the track?
GoPro Hero 7 Black 1 25.00%
GoPro Hero 7 Silver 0 0%
GoPro Hero 7 White 0 0%
GoPro Hero 6 Black 1 25.00%
GoPro Hero 5 Black 0 0%
Garmin Virb Ultra 30 1 25.00%
Garmin Virb X or XE 0 0%
Other (please post) 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 AM

Jordan
Question Video cam recommendations for the track

I've been using Harry's LapTimer with generally good results, but I'm getting fed up with the video problems caused by the well-known iPhone poor stabilization effects for on-track video recording. So, I'm considering biting the bullet and buying an action cam. I've looked at the action cams page on Harry's website, and it's a good starting point, but I'd like to ask the crowd here their thoughts. I want a camera that (1) will be good for years to come, (2) will work easily with HLT, probably meaning can be auto started by HLT, and (3) will work with other solutions down the road if I later decide to invest in a more sophisticated track timing/data solution. The obvious choices are GoPro Hero 7 (Black, Silver, or White), Hero 6 Black, Hero 5 Black, and Garmin Virb X/XE/Ultra 30, but welcome any/all suggestions.

Thanks,
Jordan
Old 05-12-2019, 07:34 AM

RV4Flyer

I have used both GoPro and Garmin cameras for flying and the track. Picture quality is about equal but the big difference is the Garmin has built in sensors and will pull data from an OBD-II reader wirelessly. The battery lasts longer and their video editing program is easy to use and gives you tons of options on the types of gauges you want to include. My avatar was a still pulled from a GoPro video before I purchased the Garmin XE. The GoPro mounts are better so I use them with my Garmin.

Wall of Dearly Departed Loved Ones
07 987 Cayman S
03 996
86 944
74 914
78 924

Bro Code Rule 43:
When a Bro learns another Bro has been in a traffic accident, they must first ask what condition the car is in.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Jabs1542

I’ve been down this path using Track Attack because HLT didn’t support external cameras and OBD readers at the time. Here’s what I learned:
1) Get a GoPro that has WiFi (required) and the touchscreen on the back (highly recommended), also get the skeleton case to keep it cool. Be careful to setup your GoPro carefully as it will create a WiFi network that your cell phone will need to connect to.
2) You will want to provide power to the GoPro (it will consume 2+ batteries in a day). This means you will need to rig a 12:5 volt adaptor to a switched power source and run wires.
3) You should also look at an OBD reader, it will connect to the phone through BlueTooth.
4) You should also look at an external GPS,it will also connect through BlueTooth and will be MUCH more accurate than your phone.

Now the warnings:
a) Getting all of this to work is a PITA and doesn’t always work correctly.I had a big off at VIR that didn’t get captured because of this. You will need to start your sessions extra early in order to get this symphony of components to work.
b) I will be presenting a data class (White Classroom) showing the differences between ‘hobby data’ (a.k.a. cell phones) and serious data (i.e. VBox and Aim). I will cover processing speed and frame rates, and how you can use each tool effectively (tip, there is a HUGE accuracy versus precision issue going on here).

enjoy

2013 C2S

Racecars are like strippers, we just keep throwing money at them hoping someday they give us the ride of our lives…
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Flyer View Post
I have used both GoPro and Garmin cameras for flying and the track. Picture quality is about equal but the big difference is the Garmin has built in sensors and will pull data from an OBD-II reader wirelessly. The battery lasts longer and their video editing program is easy to use and gives you tons of options on the types of gauges you want to include. My avatar was a still pulled from a GoPro video before I purchased the Garmin XE. The GoPro mounts are better so I use them with my Garmin.
Thank you very much. I'm currently running HLT on the iPhone, getting OBDII data streamed over BT from a Kiwi BT dongle. I have to assume that you won't get lap times built-in from the Garmin (or any action cam) because they don't understand laps, but can you explain more about getting OBDII data straight onto the Garmin and what the end product looks like?

For comparison, this is what I'm getting from HLT using an iPhone 4S for front video and an iPhone 7 for rear video: https://youtu.be/bFnAMbgXb-8
Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Der ABT

So as most know i would suggest biting the bullet earlier so you get more use out if it.

However, ive used a multitude of gopro's
Hero7 battery is definately less record time than the older ones.

A simple usb power source us an easy addition which takes care of that.

File size is also key.....the bigger the files the longer the processing times when reviewing

1080 is plenty....4k is rediculous....but you may loose youtube funding without 4k hah.

I have an old hero3 silver that actually worked very well with HLT...

Once you realize the amount if time spent processing data to review....vs processing what you need to work on.....start the budget asap and dont look back

Evan
2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Der ABT; 05-12-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:35 PM

JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs1542 View Post
I’ve been down this path using Track Attack because HLT didn’t support external cameras and OBD readers at the time. Here’s what I learned:
1) Get a GoPro that has WiFi (required) and the touchscreen on the back (highly recommended), also get the skeleton case to keep it cool. Be careful to setup your GoPro carefully as it will create a WiFi network that your cell phone will need to connect to.
2) You will want to provide power to the GoPro (it will consume 2+ batteries in a day). This means you will need to rig a 12:5 volt adaptor to a switched power source and run wires.
3) You should also look at an OBD reader, it will connect to the phone through BlueTooth.
4) You should also look at an external GPS,it will also connect through BlueTooth and will be MUCH more accurate than your phone.

Now the warnings:
a) Getting all of this to work is a PITA and doesn’t always work correctly.I had a big off at VIR that didn’t get captured because of this. You will need to start your sessions extra early in order to get this symphony of components to work.
b) I will be presenting a data class (White Classroom) showing the differences between ‘hobby data’ (a.k.a. cell phones) and serious data (i.e. VBox and Aim). I will cover processing speed and frame rates, and how you can use each tool effectively (tip, there is a HUGE accuracy versus precision issue going on here).

enjoy
I've been using ApexPro and GoPro. Importing to TrackAttack with auto video synchronization is very easy. I've started to tinker with RaceStudio and math channels to get Gsum but not there yet. ApexPro doesn't output Gsum but believe that the Apex% is comparable. On my MacBook Pro I can visualize 4 laps in synchrony. However, I'm not sure how to add engine channels to TrackAttack. I'm currently using GoPoint OBDII dongle. Any advice and look forward to the next class. Joe
Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 AM

Jabs1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
I've been using ApexPro and GoPro. Importing to TrackAttack with auto video synchronization is very easy. I've started to tinker with RaceStudio and math channels to get Gsum but not there yet. ApexPro doesn't output Gsum but believe that the Apex% is comparable. On my MacBook Pro I can visualize 4 laps in synchrony. However, I'm not sure how to add engine channels to TrackAttack. I'm currently using GoPoint OBDII dongle. Any advice and look forward to the next class. Joe
Use the GoPoint app to see the channels available for your car. You have to check (checkbox) the ones you want your phone to pick up (basically checking off the ones it will broadcast). They warn you not to check too many (or all of them) as it slows down the bit rate. If you can get them you would want RPM, throttle position, brake pressure (I could not get this one for my car), speed, and health parameters like oil pressure/temp, and water temp.

2013 C2S

Racecars are like strippers, we just keep throwing money at them hoping someday they give us the ride of our lives…
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM

Shizzly

If you're looking to do this for the goal of driver improvement, I would prioritize something that gets you closer towards squiggly lines and think about leaving HLT in the past. I know budget is a factor, but the ability you have to quickly use that data to make changes between sessions goes up tremendously.
2019 Corvette Z07 - Urf? #777
2016 Corvette Z07 - LightSpeed #707
2014 Cayman S - Sparkles #81
2005 Corvette jackstand racecar
Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM

mlytle

data point on the Go Pro's..

-hero 6 and newer have built in GPS and accelerometer. with about three clicks in the gopro editing software you can overlay a track map, speedo and g-force circle. super simple.

here is basic example i did at MC track day. the size of all the data on screen is user adjustable.

https://youtu.be/YATggN7D7aE

and a short one from a HPDE on Jefferson when i was following an intermediate student. key to car video is that it needs to show what the driver is doing. cell phone or camera on dash or roof does not allow analysis of driver actions/inputs.

88 M3
97 M3

Last edited by mlytle; 05-13-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:02 PM

Modian

I'll be trying out the Waylens Horizon camera this weekend. I've had it for a couple years but never tried it on track. It might be a good stopgap between a Gopro and dedicated data loggers.

‘93 964