Garage and workshop organization - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Garage and workshop organization

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:48 PM

Richard Curtis

Kurt... you just beat me to this. I've had pix of your roll-around tool rack for years all the way back to when I became der Vorganger editor (what? 10 years ago or more?). I never got around to running the photo or a story about how Porsche owners organize their garages. Always impressed with Kurt's display and thinking behind the organization.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Please post them! I need to see the original setup as I have a blank space that I can’t remember what went there.

Forgot to add. Wrenches. Doubles, you need doubles of all the common sizes from 7 to 19 mm. Spending 20 min looking for the 13mm that is under the drip mat or spending 10 seconds reaching for “back up”. The original will be discovered soon after. Same for common sockets. Maintain cool clean work flow.

I cleanup at the end of each work cycle. I put the no longer needed oddballs away after a wipe down The day to day tools get shoveled into the working pile. They go home after the war.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:44 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Curtis View Post
Kurt... you just beat me to this. I've had pix of your roll-around tool rack for years all the way back to when I became der Vorganger editor (what? 10 years ago or more?). I never got around to running the photo or a story about how Porsche owners organize their garages. Always impressed with Kurt's display and thinking behind the organization.
BTW. I want to thank you directly for your efforts and talent with Potomac in all the ways you have helped. Your influence with Der V has been felt soon after and long after you arrived. Your efforts have produced a positive and long lasting impact.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Like jazz said I had my top drawer of my roller filled with 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” metric sockets, including Short and tall, at least 2 of each plus Allen and torx sockets. Also kept my impact sockets up to about 42mm in there. Used much the same holders too. So easy to grab and go if needed. 2nd drawer was the various ratchets, extensions, swivels, adapters, and breaker bars. Also used organizers to keep contents from looking like VAG’s! 3rd drawer was combination wrenches (two sets) 6mm to 19mm, plus regular Allen’s. After that my drawers did look like Steve’s 4th drawer was pliers, screw drivers, short metric and ratcheting metric combo wrenches, and my short “slugger” metric wrenches. Bottom drawer had a nice assortment of hammers (ball-pean, no bounce and even a claw), hack saws, pry bars and a few other items.
Kept the SAE stuff in the big chest along wall with the extra ratchets, files, 3/4” drive metric sockets and ratchet, metric and SAE taps and dies, and a whole mess of specialty and miscellaneous tools. Kept the top part of my double decker roller box on top of this box. Used it for torque wrenches (lb. and inch), and the rest of my good measuring tools.

Gave all to our sun in April including the double decker roller! Only keeping a small tool box with the minimum tools

BTW track tool boxes can get heavy with even minimal tools. I ended up using a couple of ammo cans. One for wrenches, rackets and sockets. Separate one for pliers, screw drivers, extra lug bolts etc, etc. breaker bar, torque wrench, brake bleeder & fluid, brake clean, waterless hand soap went in a canvas bag.
Really

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending

Last edited by Trak Ratt; 07-16-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:38 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Hey! Mine *is* organized. To me anyhow.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 PM

cmartin

Quote:
I like to keep the 10% of the tools that do the 90% of the work out in the open
A lot of wisdom in this. How many times do I reach for the 10, 12, 13, 17, 19 ? I get a bit lazy and dont clean tools enough, pretty incredible how they pile up. Once I got a nice cart I use the heck out of it, but only keep a few tools in it. One of the long overdue projects is to move everything into the 'new' box and cart, I have a 41" combo I need to sell and most likely a HF cart. But, I keep buying tools so maybe I need the room.

Locking hose clamp pliers are the newest add, why didnt I get these 20 yrs ago?
Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 PM

rothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Sears (had it for years). They're on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Sorter-W.../dp/B00HNZWPCQ
I like that a lot. Never have seen it before. New idea for 3D printing.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
1966 912 - Future Project
Old 07-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothaus View Post
I like that a lot. Never have seen it before. New idea for 3D printing.

Cheers
Engelbert
I just bought one for $17. How much material/etc would you use and what would it cost to make?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

I print stuff and that is a buck or three worth of filament but way more than $16 worth of someones time. Print is also not as smooth and easy to keep clean as molded. OTOH you can dial it in to just the shape you want.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 PM

JoeG

I'm going to try the socket storage trays you guys are using (gray ones with size stamped on the post). I think they are made by Hansen. What I don't like about the clips is that its tricky to remove the socket with one hand. If only my garage was big enough so need a small portable box and a larger one.