Anyone used Ghostshield 8510 or 8500 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Anyone used Ghostshield 8510 or 8500

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:26 AM

ducatithunder
Default Anyone used Ghostshield 8510 or 8500

Looking for anyone who has applied either of these Ghostshield products to there garage floor recently. I will be sealing my new garage floor in the spring when it gets warmer. Wanted to see it in person before I pull the trigger. Was thinking about going the HD40 route since I have a polished floor, but I have been getting mixed reviews on oil staining. This product seals but won’t enhance the look of the concrete. Thanks in advance.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 01-27-2019, 05:32 PM

JmuRiz

I am thinking of the same products, interested to hear what you find out
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 01-27-2019, 06:08 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

I considered hd40 and used 8505 in my garage. It's not impervious but it is quite good at resisting staining, especially from dirty oil.i do have some leftover concentrate if anyone wants to use it on a smaller slab.

I should have also used it in the house, but the polishers promised that whatever they used was as good. Its not, so we apply a product called ironstone which isn't permanent but keeps oily stains from forming if you drop food, etc.

Hopefully Blacktalon will drop in, he's got actual professionally informed opinions about stuff like this.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:21 AM

ducatithunder

Thanks. Yeah the mixed review on HD40 over on GJ pushed me to look for another product. The more I look the more I’m disappointed, lol. Every product seems to have a silver bullet. I need to reach out to the supplier of ghost shield and see if I can stain prior to sealing. My fear is I put something down and it fails to deliver which leads to having to grind it off and reapply another coating. I’m in FL right now for 2 weeks. I will prob reach out to you in a couple weeks to see if I can view your floor in person if your available Ed.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098

Projects

73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:37 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

I'm following this, Ed. I admit that since I deal with commercial applications, products and contractors means I do not pay attention to products marketed to homeowners. I will check out the manufacturer's site later today.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

They are silane/ siloxane mixes, which are my pick for clear penetrating sealers. But in general this company strikes me as a having a homeowner product line that they are trying to make sound commercial. The Technical Data Sheets contain BS like "Turbocharged", "nanoparticles", etc. that legitimate commercial product manufacturers do not put in TDSs.

If I were forced to pick one of these I would go for the 8510, as I'd much rather use a solvent-based material than a water-based. I find it odd that the web site indicates using a special primer for both of these sealers 'for best performance', yet the primer is not mentioned on the TDSs.

Combine all that with "Sold at HD, Lowes, etc" and I would rather go with a penetrating sealer made and distributed by one of the commercial makers.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

I think "turbocharged nanoparticles" should appear in more technical data. The primer is news, that definitely wasn't part of the mix before.

DT, you (and anyone else) are welcome to stop by and we'll spill stuff on my floor.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

In the end, there likely isn't much difference between any of those products. It's just about who you choose to give your money to. Silanes/ siloxenes/ blends will get it done for you if the object is to get down into the concrete pores and limit the absorption of fluids into the concrete. They are not for polishing -- those are typically higher-build products that form a film on the surface. Different product types for different desired results.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:01 PM

ducatithunder

Thanks BT. I was leaning moret torwards the 8510 since it’s solvent based instead of water. I got the same idea about the company when I was reading the marketing buzz words they use. One guy said that all new jiffy lines get an HD40 application when new ones spec’d out. I kinda laughed at that since it’s again a homeowner style product. I will have to look more into the silanes and siloxenes for commercial applications. If the price point works out and 8510 is available that might be the easiest route.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098

Projects

73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

This would be my starting point, as they have a handful to choose from:

https://prosoco.com/products/hard-su...er-repellents/

The ProSoCo products are carried by a few distributors/ building supply houses around DC and Baltimore, Hon.