Fs: 1987 944 - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted Post For Sale or WTB adds for Porsche & BMW cars here. Strictly moderated.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Yetti 000
Default Fs: 1987 944

*Reason for selling: blown head gasket - buyer must be able to tow the vehicle.

Price: $1900
Mileage: 91,155
Color: Copenhagen Blue
Interior: Minor stains on the carpet, cracking in seats, and cracking on the dash; spring mechanism in brake lever popped out so requires manual engagement (cheap fix).
Exterior: Minor dents around the bottom of the skirts from rocks but overall the body is in great shape. Crack in front windshield but passed inspection. Rear window wiper motor does not work.
Mechanical: Car blew white smoke, "goop" under the oil cap, lost compression and has been parked ever since.

Major parts replaced in the last 20,000 miles:
- Fuel Pressure Regulator & Damper
- Head gasket
- Radiator Hoses
- Distributor Cap
- Ignition Rotor
- Cam Seal
- Timing Belts
- Water Pump + Gasket
- Rebuilt Throttle Body (replaced all seals and lubrication); cleaned TPS connection
- Intake Boot and Filter.
- Power Steering hose
- Clutch

Images + Craigslist posting: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...147801206.html

- Kyle

Last edited by Yetti 000; 07-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Price please.
1999 E46 328i
Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 PM

Tedzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti 000 View Post
*Reason for selling: blown head gasket - buyer must be able to tow the vehicle.

Mileage: 91,155
Color: Copenhagen Blue
Interior: Minor stains on the carpet, cracking in seats, and cracking on the dash; spring mechanism in brake lever popped out so requires manual engagement (cheap fix).
Exterior: Minor dents around the bottom of the skirts from rocks but overall the body is in great shape. Crack in front windshield but passed inspection. Rear window wiper motor does not work.
Mechanical: Car blew white smoke, "goop" under the oil cap, lost compression and has been parked ever since.

Major parts replaced in the last 20,000 miles:
- Fuel Pressure Regulator & Damper
- Head gasket
- Radiator Hoses
- Distributor Cap
- Ignition Rotor
- Cam Seal
- Timing Belts
- Water Pump + Gasket
- Rebuilt Throttle Body (replaced all seals and lubrication); cleaned TPS connection
- Intake Boot and Filter.
- Power Steering hose
- Clutch

Images + Craigslist posting: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...147801206.html
Seems odd this head gasket problem would happen again...
Has the car been overheated?
986S 550 AE Spyder #1153
MGA Coupe-Coming along slowly in every sense...
Lexus GX460-Beast of burden
Lexus GX470-Kayak & K9 Transport
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM

markwemple

He lists it at $1900 in the CL ad.
1976 911 S Targa

Formerly:
1964 scca C coupe
1965 C coupe
1968 912 Targa
1970 914/4
1985.5 944

(glutton for punishment)
Now a Potomac Member (sorry guys)
Also: Bugeyes, Vanagons, Fiat Spyder, Ducati 916, BMW R65RT, '78 xs11, cB750k0, ct90k0, ca110 .....

Nature knows no indecencies; man invents them. Mark Twain

...then there was this mind reader who moved to Washington DC and couldn't find work.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM

Yetti 000

Updated price - sorry about that. The head was sent away to get machined the first time so I'm not sure what happened this time. I only experienced overheating twice since then (ridiculously hot days sitting in traffic). This last time, it started blowing smoke out of the exhaust and I was already pulling over to the side when I lost compression. To make matters worse, 2 cops saw me pull over and gave me a ticket for defective equipment...

Note: I have receipts from the past 5 years. The car has been in my family for over 15 years.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM

Yetti 000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedzilla View Post
Seems odd this head gasket problem would happen again...
Has the car been overheated?
I don't take any chances - I will never allow my car to overheat. Unless the heater core blows up in the middle lane of 495 during rush hour.... that was not fun in my first car.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 AM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
The head was sent away to get machined the first time so I'm not sure what happened this time. I only experienced overheating twice since then (ridiculously hot days sitting in traffic). This last time, it started blowing smoke out of the exhaust and I was already pulling over to the side when I lost compression. To make matters worse, 2 cops saw me pull over and gave me a ticket for defective equipment...
Quote:
I don't take any chances - I will never allow my car to overheat. Unless the heater core blows up in the middle lane of 495 during rush hour.... that was not fun in my first car.
i'm confused, according to your posts, head gasket was replaced within 20,000 miles at which time the head was removed and machined, but the head gasket needs to be replaced again, and your car has "only" overheated twice since the last replacement, although you "never" allow this car to overheat. can you please give more information/explanation about the continuing head gasket issues and the frequent overheating despite the recent head gasket replacement and machine shop work and despite your never allowing it to overheat. thank you.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

PM sent.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Yetti 000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Claven View Post
i'm confused, according to your posts, head gasket was replaced within 20,000 miles at which time the head was removed and machined, but the head gasket needs to be replaced again, and your car has "only" overheated twice since the last replacement, although you "never" allow this car to overheat. can you please give more information/explanation about the continuing head gasket issues and the frequent overheating despite the recent head gasket replacement and machine shop work and despite your never allowing it to overheat. thank you.
The gasket blew once and was replaced along with the list of parts above (I'm happy to supply receipts of the work done). Since it blew, there were only two instances where the needle started to climb to the red but I immediately found a safe area to shut it off, let it sit, then drive it somewhere to cool down (without any issues). What I meant is that I don't drive my cars if the temp gauges go beyond the safe zone. I'll pull over wherever I can.

It was also never a daily driver and only driven every other weekend. It was kept in the garage all year long and was only driven when the temperature was just right - the AC in my old BMW and current Civic was more comfortable to bear so there were not a lot of opportunities to experience overheating.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Yetti 000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
PM sent.
Let me know if you received my reply. I tried twice but it's not showing up in my outbox.