transition from cayman to 911? - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » transition from cayman to 911?

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 AM

Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Cochon Volant View Post
Otto, having experimented extensively with the most and least expensive ways to track the 991.1 GT3 I think I could share a few helpful points with you. Also, as I am probably converting my car back to stock in order to sell it I may have a couple of pallets of go fast parts you may want to pick over instead of paying full freight for the new stuff. One thing that I found most helpful; drive the car as is for a full event and then get TPC to give it a true track alignment. You will see how that transforms the car for track work. Also, if it would be helpful I am happy to ride with you and provide feedback. I have a few laps in the car...
that would be great

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S
Old 11-10-2019, 12:46 PM

TomChan

Two opinions I have are:
1) 991 GT3 has rear wheel steering. This makes the car "easy" to go fast because less work is required of the driver. This can be pro or con depending on what the goal is.
2) Operating cost is dependent on the tire choice which ultimately dictates the potential lap times which has direct correlation to how many hours the consumables to last. Theoretically speaking, the operating cost would be pretty close if one were to run the same tire compound and similar lap times between 981 Cayman S and 991 GT3. But whos going to buy a more powerful and more capable car to not drive it faster... buying insurance to insure a more expensive car and higher fuel cost goes along with the package without saying... just my opinion.

The 991.1 GT3 has the 10-year engine warranty thing going on so that can be enticing.

Last edited by TomChan; 11-10-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:51 PM

TomChan

All 991.2 cars have rear wheel steering(not just GT's).
Old 11-11-2019, 02:51 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

You'll have to go back to Green, though
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 11-11-2019, 05:44 PM

Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomChan View Post
Two opinions I have are:
1) 991 GT3 has rear wheel steering. This makes the car "easy" to go fast because less work is required of the driver. This can be pro or con depending on what the goal is.
2) Operating cost is dependent on the tire choice which ultimately dictates the potential lap times which has direct correlation to how many hours the consumables to last. Theoretically speaking, the operating cost would be pretty close if one were to run the same tire compound and similar lap times between 981 Cayman S and 991 GT3. But whos going to buy a more powerful and more capable car to not drive it faster... buying insurance to insure a more expensive car and higher fuel cost goes along with the package without saying... just my opinion.

The 991.1 GT3 has the 10-year engine warranty thing going on so that can be enticing.
yes, the 10 year engine warranty is enticing

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S