2000 911 key copy - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 AM

PPaulJ
Default 2000 911 key copy

What's the best place in the NVA area to get a blank key cut for a 2000 porsche 911 carrera? Thx!
Old 01-15-2020, 01:35 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Is this a metal key, or something with a fob? If just a metal key Home Depot. Lowes are fine. Dealerships if fob/ electronic.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-15-2020, 02:31 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

IIRC the 2000 key is a plastic head type fixed fob key but the key has a unique cut that runs in a snake like track on t e side rather than the more conventional saw tooth format. Dealer or perhaps a large brick and mortar locksmith like Baldinos. I am not recommending Baldinos only using them as an example.

I think Porsche Tyson’s might have them factory cut and shipped to the dealership. Dealers are very careful about making copies. The key comes in precut and is then programmed to the car. You will need proof of ownership and who you are. At some point a bad key is going to be a financial total on some of the older modern cars.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 01-15-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:36 PM

HoodPin

X2 on the key design, per VG. We have a 2000 Boxster with that same style of cut. Not something a hardware store can do. IMHO, I would consider paying the dealer premium, as they would be more inclined to correct if the key doesn't work. Also, as VG says, the factory may be able to cut a new key from the VIN #.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 01-15-2020, 03:46 PM

Racer29

Sunset Porsche (sunsetporsche.com) will cut the key using your vin number and a copy of your title, you have to get it programed at a dealership. That worked out for me

Kevin Marcus

04 Carrera
87 G50 Carrera
77 Corvette
2008 Cayenne S
Old 03-17-2020, 03:41 PM

PPaulJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
IIRC the 2000 key is a plastic head type fixed fob key but the key has a unique cut that runs in a snake like track on t e side rather than the more conventional saw tooth format. Dealer or perhaps a large brick and mortar locksmith like Baldinos. I am not recommending Baldinos only using them as an example.

I think Porsche Tyson’s might have them factory cut and shipped to the dealership. Dealers are very careful about making copies. The key comes in precut and is then programmed to the car. You will need proof of ownership and who you are. At some point a bad key is going to be a financial total on some of the older modern cars.
Thanks VG! This is a key with a programmable fob and snake design. I live close by Baldino's and they said their machine for making such keys had everything but Porsche capability(?!). They also said you cannot start the car with a plain key because the key (w/chip) communicates with the cat's computer. That correct?