Wtb: 996/997 gt3/rs - Page 10 - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM

CanAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Claven View Post
alternatively, add supercharger so you can accelerate more rapidly out of the corners and down the straights. front straight is a great place to make up for time you are losing in the corners.
Plenty of Gaymen running around with TPC turbos, but don't want to void the warranty on the car.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 PM

racer

Gaymen or Chickster... your call.

Saw a color ad in Pano for some Cayman S racecars. From Isringhausen (dealership?) Some starting at or below your GT3 prices. Just above brand new Spec Boxster racers.

Sounds like you have lots of ideas in your head. Maybe its time to write them down to filer out what you really want to do.

In the end, it sounds to me like you will overanalyze every bit of minutia and therefore render a decision impossible.

Since the Cayman is the wifes, and she's good at making decisions, why not ask for her help? Sounds to me like you want a 911 (watercooled). So get one that fits your goal.. or wait a year or two and buy Ryans "old" 997 that he's currently building?
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

What is the rule on tracking Porsches and warrentys now anyway? (Besides the tire wall clause that is)

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Have a Grateful day

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
But a 997.2 GT3RS is what I really lust after (and missed a chance to get a nice local one for not much more than $100K a couple months ago ).
You can have mine with xtra bbs rims for $125k, since I wont be tracking it much now.

'19 991 GT3 RS Weissach
'08 997 PCA H class
'89 930 Targa
'18 F150 Raptor
'16 991 GT3 RS
'18 991 GT2 RS
'16 AMG GT S
'10 997 GT3 RS
'07 997 GT3
'09 Aston Martin DBS
'96 993 H Class
'14 F150 Raptor
Old 01-09-2013, 03:44 PM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by }{arlequin View Post
yup. and if you don't forget to relieve yourself before your qualis the whole setup will be even lighter. never underestimate the relaxed driving sensation you'll get after dropping a half pound dookie in the bowl. it's good for at least a couple of tenths vs a stressed, backed up drover. smoothness is key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951 View Post
This thread is worthless without video!
Er, maybe not.

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
What is the rule on tracking Porsches and warrentys now anyway? (Besides the tire wall clause that is)
without actually having read the fine print of the warranty document, i would speculate that warranty will likely cover problems arising under normal use. tracking your car puts added strain on it that would not be considered normal, so warrnaty, subject to subjective interpretation, will not cover problems caused directly by tracking the car taht would not have occurred otherwise under normal use. you might argue that tracking some porsches is normal usage, especially those with sport chrono package. good luck with that. in any case, you'll need your dealer to go to bat for you. others who actually drive new porsches on the track surely will have checked the fine print or may have direct experience, so they should chime in here.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 PM

HoodPin

As I read the Porsche warranty, its ok to haul ass out on the open public road, even if it means passing over a double-yellow, and scaring the begezus out of on-coming traffic as you apex into their lane. But as soon as the black box sees two wheels roll onto the GPS coordinates of a local track--warranty is null & void. Heck, its only a matter of time before the car's in-dash display announces the fact to you, saving an embarrassing trip to the dealer.

Name:  DashScreen2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  56.7 KB

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Understood, though my local driving is relatively short trips on decent roads, plus I like a firm ride.
Feel free to drive my street-legal track car around on the local roads. That might change your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
IMO a podium class race car build better be pure pain on the street or you left some speed on the table. Figure out for sure what you plan to do before dropping $ on a car. Many if not most don't and end up buying a race car one part at a time or the right car the 3rd time around. The cheapest race car is someone else's.
True dat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome951 View Post
Here's my $0.02 FWIW.

Driving a GT3 street car at 8ths of your ability doesn't significantly increase your ability nor prepare you for racing. It just makes you a consistent 8ths drover of a powerful car.

If your long-term goal is to race a cheap car, buy a cheap, track-prepped car now, learn how to drive it on the edge, learn its weaknesses, get it to fit and handle just how you like it, and slowly improve yourself and the car.

I think you'll be sadly disappointed going from the 'snap my head back' speed of a GT3 to the 'we'll get to T1 eventually' pace of a spec Boxster. I have a feeling once you start racing you'll forget all about the allure of a GT3.
As many here have said to you (many, many times), you'll be a better driver learning to drive a slower car fast. My lap times matched yours before I had my engine tuned: 190 HP! And BTW, after driving on HoHos for 3 years, I'm still only a second faster than on nicely worn RA-1s. It takes a long time to get the most out of that extra traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Fotouhi View Post
"I tried to get out, but they pulled me back in"

Full disclosure: as someone who cannot afford to buy a $100K car, I am jealous of those who can and do, so some of that bad feeling is spilling over in this rambling.

I have watched a lot of guys get in and out of track driving. A guy who wants to buy a GT3/GT3RS because his Carman R is not fast enough (other reasons you give for buying a 911 is BS IMHO), is not going to be happy when he gets into a $30K race car. The difference is many decades apart.

Noticing that you have crammed 50 days of track driving into 1 year makes me wonder if you have achieved quantity instead of quality. Here is the best advice you get for free, get a dedicated track car with a good data and camera system and work with someone who knows how to analyze/interpret data.
We all give you a hard time about that 50 days in one year, but many of us (me) are just jealous. One of the best drivers in our region did about 45 days his first year and I believe was instructing with PCA by the end of his second year (he's been one of my best instructors, although never assigned--only when I asked him to go out with me). I believe that concentrated track time is the best way to learn. But I agree with Nadir about a less expensive track car, and also being jealous of your other cars.

Here's another thought about a track car if you don't heed advice about an SC/Carrera or 964 (you will really learn to drive in one of the former, but the latter would be faster and easier to set up)--Nobody has mentioned Spec 996. I don't know how big the class is but it would be a reasonable compromise between a GT3 and an '86 Carrera. Reasonable racing costs, too. Plus as a spec car, the class is pretty even. It's been a thought of mine...

Quote:
Don't know what I'm doing anymore. All the advice in this thread leaves me unsure. Mark's 964 idea makes a lot of sense. But the 996 GT3 appeals in many ways, and I have leads on three of them at an acceptable price. And Jason's GT3 is a way to get a nice 997 at a price not excessively higher than a 996 from a fellow Dorki. But a 997.2 GT3RS is what I really lust after (and missed a chance to get a nice local one for not much more than $100K a couple months ago ). Maybe best to not do anything for a while, at least until the 991 GT3 comes out and we see what happens to the GT3 market.

But don't get me wrong y'all, I do appreciate the advice.
And as usual, 9 pages of posts and advice, with your follow-up questions on each one, and then you ignore all and go back to what you really wanted to do in the first place. This is why I get so frustrated reading your threads!

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

Quote:
And as usual, 9 pages of posts and advice, with your follow-up questions on each one, and then you ignore all and go back to what you really wanted to do in the first place. This is why I get so frustrated reading your threads!
You don't need to be Johnny Carson to predict this Then don't read/respond......

Quote:
Regarding warranties, I don't know if there is a definitive yes/no policy....typically the cars I buy are 10-15 years old anyway. Here's a thread on 6speed for those fortunate enough to buy/track vechicles under warranty.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...-trackday.html
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stylianos View Post
You don't need to be Johnny Carson to predict this Then don't read/respond......
Yup. Pretty easy solution - if these threads annoy you, don't read them.
1999 E46 328i
Closed Thread