Garage floor solutions - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Garage floor solutions

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 PM

berniemjake
Default Garage floor solutions

Hey folks, how about some help out there on what to do with a garage floor. Epoxy paint lifts from hot tires, tile stains and shrinks not to mention grinding and welding is a no-no because of the damage. Racedeck is cool for Jay Leno $$$ types so what to do? What works?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 AM

C3PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniemjake View Post
Hey folks, how about some help out there on what to do with a garage floor. Epoxy paint lifts from hot tires, tile stains and shrinks not to mention grinding and welding is a no-no because of the damage. Racedeck is cool for Jay Leno $$$ types so what to do? What works?
I used the epoxy from Sherwin -Williams on two of my floors. The only thing I have found that will lift it after curing is battery acid. Look at their Tile Clad floor paint.....it is the best Ive found. If you take the time and prep the surface first...hot tires will not lift it. We spun 15" wide slicks 12' out the door of the shop, the rubber came up but not the paint. Correct prep is the key.

Last edited by C3PC; 06-14-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Ceramic tile is the next step if you hate well installed 2 part epoxy. Race deck is OK if you are looking for a look. It sucks if you plan to work on cars with any vigor. Stuff goes under it, it burns, it compresses under jacks and stands and it can be attacked by automotive fluids.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 AM

JayJ

I use the epxoy and haven't had any lift. I also have used the mats that you can buy at Costco, that worked extremely well and was easy to clean. I bought a couple of them and trimmed it to fit my garage wall to wall.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 AM

antonioconceicao

http://www.ehow.com/how_4910799_appl...oor-paint.html
1985 Citroen CX GTI
1988 Citroen BX GTI
1976 Vespa GTR 125cc
1970 Citroen Mehari
1968 Citroen ID 20
1965 356 C
Old 06-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

Prep is the key. A blast-trac is a great way to remove the top layer of concrete reveiling a fresh substrate with good anchor profile for the epoxy to really bite. General Polymers is the industrial wing of Sherwin-Williams and they have a hangar floor system that is beefy.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 06-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Cliff Claven

i like terrazzo. modern terrazzo utilizes epoxy and is very tuff and resilient. expensive yes but if you want to make a statement it will be better than leno's for sure.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

12X12 Porcelain tile with an epoxy modified grout is tops in many aspects.

Prep is important.

I like my cheap 2 part water-born epoxy floor. It has taken a beating and looks it in places. I weld over it drop heavy tools, car parts on it, drag things across it hammer on stuff that is laying on it and the like. It is cheap enough that for the $ you spend on a pro installed system of any method I can recoat it 10 times and still break even. This lets me better enjoy what I am doing rather than fussing about the floor. I know even the best stuff will get damaged during real use.
drop a fishmouthed 3 foot long section of roll bar tubing and you are going to take out a chunk of what you are standing on. (1/2 or thicker steel plate does not count)

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 AM

cmartin

That's good advice Vicegrip. I'm generally happy with the Rustoleum brand stuff I put down 11 yrs ago. Sure, a few spots lifted and there are chips and scratches. I do use the garage though so I expect some scares. Maybe it's time to clean up the shop a bit and work on the floor.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

I too used the rusto stuff. If you use a 2 part coating check the recomendations first if you plan to recoat at some point. Some 2 part coatings do not recoat well, the layers don't stick to each other well.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.