Guns, Ammo and Such - - Page 20 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Guns, Ammo and Such -

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Glorified babysitter

BeerBurner

...and yes, great video! It looks like a fun thing to plink with.

BB.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Mark in Baltimore

Thought I'd post here to see if anyone knows of a distributor or gun store that has an LWRC M6 DI AR-15 in stock. LWRC has, of course, been making more of them to fill the sales that occurred after Parkland, but I guess they've been trickling in to the distributors. The specific model I'm looking at is the M-lock version, LWRCICDIR5MCT16ML. If anyone has thoughts on a better version of the DI LWRC that's legal in MD (was told by LWRC that all of their ARs are MD-legal), I'm open to suggestions (fairly sure I don't want piston for cost and other reasons).

Thanks, guys.

Looking for E39 BMW M5
Old 05-22-2018, 04:17 PM

BobNovas

I saw a nice LWRC IC-DI hanging on the wall at Atlantic Guns in Rockville today. Don't know if it meets your specs. It's cerakoted burgundy though.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 PM
This space for rent

Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNovas View Post
It's cerakoted burgundy though.
Whaaaaaaa...?!?

Was there a full size Destro action figure to go along with it???

“Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....” (cars, too...)

'83 911SC track car, MI State Police Blue
'05 Carrera S, Black
'09 BMW M3 Coupe, Interlagos Blue
'13 KTM 350 XCF-W - Trail demon
'12 GasGas 280 TXT Econo - Trials hell-spawn
'03 Kawasaki ZX-636, CCS#437 (former life)
'89 Yamaha FZR-400, WERA#501 (former life)
'94 Kawasaki ZX-6E, WERA#501 (gateway drug)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:54 AM

Mark in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNovas View Post
I saw a nice LWRC IC-DI hanging on the wall at Atlantic Guns in Rockville today. Don't know if it meets your specs. It's cerakoted burgundy though.
Sorry I missed this post from many months ago, Bob. Appreciate the lead; looking for a black M-lock version.

Looking for E39 BMW M5
Old 02-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Glorified babysitter

BeerBurner

How do I know I married well? Here's how...

I told my wife that, after buying a M1 Garand, I'd be done for a while. We agreed that I just had to wait until the new year and could buy one. I went to the gun show in September and found one for $750. The stock was rough and it had an import stamp because it was one that we gave to South Korea and it eventually came back. Still, knowing our agreement, I left.

When I told my wife that I walked away from a $750 Garand because I respected our agreement, she literally said "Are you nuts? Go back and get it!" so I did.

It's a Springfield receiver built in April, 1942. The stock is in rough shape and the barrel is nearing the end of its life. I replaced all of the springs and had a new Criterion barrel installed (which also got rid of the import stamp since it was on the barrel). All told, there is less than $1.1k in it. It's not a collectible but it is a sorted out shooter. I have no desire to change out the stock because it's South Korean touches just add to the story. Even the old sling has Korean script on it.

I picked up a Utica Cutlery bayonet (with scabbard) that is so clean that I had to research that it wasn't a replica. I think it really is just something that never got issued.

But wait... there's more!

I wanted a scoped, milsurp rifle but didn't want to buy a proper sniper but also couldn't bring myself to drill holes in anything. I decided to keep an eye out for a sporterized rifle because I wouldn't stress over somebody else drilling holes (not my fault!) and also because sporters reduce the value and I could reverse it if they didn't hack anything down.

In early December, we were up in Gettysburg when I found a sporterized K98 Mauser, complete with scope rings, all of the German stamps, but no import stamp and the barrel wasn't cut down. They wanted $300 for it but I declined because I was sticking with my "no more guns" deal.

My wife faked a doctor's appointment and drove up to buy it for me as a Christmas present.

All of the numbers match (including the firing pin... who knew the Germans would stamp that?). I don't know if it's the original bolt because the number would be on the handle that got reworked (for scope clearance) but, given how the rest of the metal parts match, it's probably the original bolt. It was built in 1943. It also has an upgraded trigger.

I went ahead and de-sporterized it. I picked up a Yugoslav-captured K98 stock for it to replace the sporter stock that I sold to a friend. All told, including the Nikon scope and the sling and front sight hood (the latter two not in this picture), there is a total of $480 in this rifle.

The picture doesn't do justice to the beauty of the wood stock. The red tint in the wood really pops in better light.

So, yeah, I'm really done for a while.

Unless I trip over a good Lee Enfield No1. Mk3. Which is why I'm staying away from gun shows because I'll probably find one.

BB.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Rick Lee has one HoF thread

Really want that K98 as it is in the photo.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Glorified babysitter

BeerBurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Really want that K98 as it is in the photo.
I'm biased, but I'm also completely smitten with this rifle.

The Swiss K11 did so many things right but the K98 just does things better. Mostly, it's because of how much better the trigger and scope makes it but I've also always felt that the Mauser was one of the most aesthetically pleasing firearms out there and this one looks the part.

I'd likely prefer the K11 to an unmodified K98, but as things stand this is now my new, favorite, bolt action rifle.

BB.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:57 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Nice gets. Like you I want a Garand for my collection. That K98 is super cool too.
1999 E46 328i
Old 02-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

The best way to get a Garand is via the Civilian Marksmanship program: http://thecmp.org

Many folks here won't even have to shoot a match to qualify, but that's fun, too. There is some luck-of-the-draw element to what you get, but a CMP rifle will almost always be a better gun than what's available on the open market for the same money.