Bicycle questions - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads
Default Bicycle questions

Looking to get my daughter a bike for college. City/commuter style bike (fenders, rear rack, etc) for commuting in an urban/college campus environment. 5' 6" 110 lb female rider. There are many, many options. In terms of features, is there any real difference between:

- Aluminum vs steel frame. Aluminum is technically lighter, but the difference I've seen is about 2lb on a 30lb bike. Steel supposedly rides better according to random bike store guy I talked to.

- 700c vs 26" tires. 700c are bigger - I guess that means faster but again, this is a college campus on a 30lb city bike. 26" is supposed to be more nimble.

- Derailleur vs internal gear hub. IGH = less maintenance, shift at a stand still, no chain slipping or derailleur bending. Derailleur = easier to maintain (more well known), cheaper, easier tire change.

Like I said I largely suspect for the given application that most of these differences are basically a wash and the real decision comes down to "get her the color she likes best", but I thought I'd ask since I know there are some smart bike guys here.
1999 E46 328i
Old 08-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Just buy something used off CL. I remmeber my college bike. It got pretty thrashed. And the rear wheel got stolen.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:30 PM

cmartin

CL cheap mountain bike with a good lock and a rear rack. You wont win many road races but with decent street tires its less prone to flats and more durable over curbs, debris... No reason to have something nice stolen while waiting for a giro at Marathon.

I wouldnt sweat steel vs alu, not going to make a difference for the intended use.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

I get the Craigslist idea. It makes sense in theory. I've even spent the time searching. Practically though... it's a big pain in the ass. Extra searching because most are mountain bikes for men. Then dealing with a day of Craigslist interaction weirdness. Then more money on the bike to get it where she wants it. And more time to tune it up, etc.

Or...

I can go to the local bike store tomorrow, get her exactly what she wants for about $100 more than the above, and be done in 30mins.
1999 E46 328i
Old 08-11-2017, 05:52 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

opinion

craigslist if you have the time......Flat bar hybrids are common on C-list. Get one that is as simple and cheap as you can find. No springs, no shocks, no carbon. Fenders are fredly but they are nice to have too. They can be added via a $40 kit if not present on bike. Trek 7300 or the like. This one was on page one. https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...259078314.html No fenders but has lugs for them. Seat cost more than the asking price of the bike. Light, cheap, almost unused and nothing you don't need. Fenders and a big wire basket on the front and done.
and ..https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...258987348.html or...https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...258792096.html.

From what I hear on campus bikes are kind of like cigg lighters and change "ownership" often. A used one might last longer. Locks impede and deter not prevent.

No desire to deal with c-list?
New and cheap . Cheap mountain bikes are heavy and use crappy bits to keep costs down. Cheap hybrids are the norm for the format and the bike makers pare down many models to the right level for urban / suburban careless use you want for a campus. Name brand based bike shops are very proud of their bikes.....That said this is the "out with the old and dusty and in with the new" time of year for bike shops. What was the "bestest" just a year ago is old news and last years color on sale now. bike shops are getting better at stock levels so the bargains are thinner even with the cycling downturn. Smaller sizes are where the deep cuts are most of the time.

Go to Performance Bike and get a hybrid. P.B. is not stuck on the MSRP track and sells bikes for close to what they are worth. The name brand shops will charge you far more for the same amount of bike. Again fenders can be added so don't limit yourself to bikes that already have them. If the area is flat a 3 or 7 speed IGH based bike for less drive train issues. Less chain drops, no bent rear derailleur hanger and the like. 3 speed bikes are cheap. In the better bike bin you will find 7 or more speed IGH

As bike $ goes up so does lock $

Something like this.

https://www.performancebike.com/weba...551_1188977_-1

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 08-11-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Too Tall

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
Have them install a front rack and buy her a BA courier bag. The bike checks alot of boxes.
BicycleSpace or Bike Rack both in DC are the Warby Parkers of bicycle retail if you want a starting place.
FWIIW the bike will not get much love thus internal gears, disk brakes and integrated systems are helpful.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:13 AM

LPM911

You can spend all the time you want researching, but the guy that steals it won't really care which model you've gotten for him.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:31 AM

forklift

I like, Bianchi Cortina http://www.jrabs.com/product/bianchi...a-286937-1.htm

$329 w/ your discount. - and not too far away from Germantown.
Jim, ex P-car: 93 RSA, G stock #222
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 PM

alw20147

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
Just buy something used off CL. I remmeber my college bike. It got pretty thrashed. And the rear wheel got stolen.

Don't forget to look on public surplus. http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/bro...=20147&region=
Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 PM

racer

Are you sure she'll actually use a bike? If so, keep in mind Lane's response
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc