Dropping my Engine - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Harbor Freight has wheel dollies 2 for ~$40 on sale. I have 8 of these and they work great for trans, engines and just about anything else AND make moving cars around a lot easier too. Furniture dollies work OK but can’t be used for as many other things

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 04-14-2008, 10:37 AM

mgbruno

Ahaaa,
Thanks Dave! I wasn't sure if they would have stuff like this and even how much it would cost. Ok, I am headed there next. Now I have another question - if I want to lift the car by the two "jack points" on the side of the car - where are these? Are they the two black rubber things forward of the wheels?? I have a 1.5 ton floor jack. How would I use this thing with those points? When I lift the car curentluy, I just put the jack under the center of the engine right on the case - and that works fine. Oh, another thing - would you or one of the other guys have any of the "special" tools that you need for the actual tranny work that I could perhaps borrow?

Mike
Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

See now this is why having you car in your sig is such a good idea. To lazy to look for your year/modle but don't think 915 equipped cars had "jacking points." Besides the sides the ones located mid-door on the side? And you can't use the floor jack on that without a jackplate.

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 AM

mgbruno

Ok Dave - no sweat. I will put it in my info - laugh. I have an 84 cab. I looked in the bentley as well as in the 101 projects book and couldn't find any info on "side jack points" yet I've read other people talking about them. The only "jack point" that my bentley mentions is the one under the case - and thats what i use.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Center line of case for back and;
  • front bracket of torsion bar cover for front T-bars
  • torsion bar cover on either spring plate for rear
  • spare wheel jack point, right under door with the floor jack adapter.
Plenty others too but you should likely have someone show you rather than try and tell your. Don't use gas tank, floor pan or anywhere along longitudinals.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM

mgbruno

Ok Dave - thanks much,
Maybe one of the guys could show me. See, I read a post on Pelican where a guy dropped his engine by lowering his car onto a dolly. Then undoing the bolts. Then raising the car on the left and right (using two jacks). This way, the engine would already be on the dolly, etc, etc. Just seemed to make sense to me to do it this way - no balancing, etc, etc. So, thats why I was asking about jacking up the car using two jacks - one on the left and one on the right. Like I said - maybe someone's got a pic. If not, I'm sure I can figure it out using my Bentley
Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Lemming

KFJ has one HoF thread

Here's a picture I saved a while ago on jack points - C and D are the preferred jack points:

Name:  911chassis.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  86.8 KB

What you state about lowering then raising the car is correct. But, keep in mind you have to get the back of the car pretty high in the air to get the engine out - which probably means jack stands under the torsion bars and sitting on something solid to get the extra height. An ATV jack makes this process much easier.
01 Audi A6 - gone...

Things are made of stuff -Bill Nye
Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 AM

mgbruno

Excellent, excellent, excellent Kirk!!!!
Genau was ich wollte! Yes, yes, I have heard this again and again - that the baby needs to be high enough in the air - but Ich havvve a plan! see, my driveway is sloped pretty steeply. I can position my car so that vhere I vill be jacking it is one elevation and the back of ze car ist another - laugh. So, I think that i have the height issue covered! Leave it to a stupid grunt to figure out an easy way out - ha. But the diagram is truly excellent - thank you ever so much! Now, if I were to lift at "D" - could I do this with a regular floor jack - where the lifting plate (where jack meets car) is round? Looks to me that this will be dooable - if I pad it with wood?

Mike
Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

I'll be in Lake Ridge Saturday, and might be able to come by for a bit to lend moral support. Please post starting time when the day approaches.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM

mgbruno

Sure David,
I'll keep you all posted. We live right on the border of Lake Ridge and Woodbridge - right off of Smoketown and Old Bridge Road. Right now - as long as I get ahold of the jacks that I need - well, I am thinking that the whole dilio should be pretty doable. But would be good to meet another Dorki - and there will be beer. Will definately let you all know