Cayman won't "connect" to MD Emissions Testing - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Cayman won't "connect" to MD Emissions Testing

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:07 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbernard View Post
Getting a ODBII reader takes all the guess work out of if you are going to pass or not. I always hook up my reader and check before going to the testing station.

A reader like this can be used to read the "Ready" state of the I/M. My 993 was a pain to become ready, the drive cycle was very finicky and without a reader I would have never known if the car was in a "ready" state or not. Took several drive cycles for things to become "Ready"

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MS309-U..._t1_B0743X5WV8
Thanks Todd!
PCA Potomac Chief Driver Ambassador

#21 (Ladybug) and #28 (Bumblebee)
Old 07-20-2021, 01:38 PM

TomChan

I have been through this a number of times with different cars.

When the VEIP station said "it wasn't connecting", they really should have clarified one of two possible scenarios:
1) was there actually no communication at all via the comm port which is referred to as the OBD port,
or 2) there was communication and the system just wasn't "ready" to be tested.

Scenario 1, no comm at all, could be one of the following:
a)the well trained staff at VEIP did not push the connector in all the way but insisted that he/she did (this has happened to me so now I only use the self service kiosk so I have only myself to blame). If the connector was plugged in all the way and still no comm-
b) There's currently another device(i.e. track logger or auxiliary display device) connected to the wires behind the OBD port- typically the OBD port will function with only one device connected to it at a time.
c) Does the car have an aftermarket high performance tune? Not all, but I have seen in rare occasions that some tunes sort of block the comm.
d) One of the wires backed out from the OBD connector or damage wire behind the OBD connector.

Scenario 2, system not ready to be tested (aka readiness not set), could be of the following:
a) not enough "regular" public road drive time since the last time the ECU was reset. on a 2009 car, it usually takes 5 minutes of idling, some stop and go traffic, cruising at highway speeds for ~15 minutes. If you do this drive cycle for 3 days the system should be ready to be tested. The full throttle drive time on track does not count as readiness time, the readiness parameter was designed around regular street usage.
b) there is a faulty item(s) causing the readiness to not set. in the first post there was a mention of something that was nothing that was reset. it is possible that the something that was nothing is something that prevents the readiness to be set(i.e. any fault code that lingers as a "pending code" will prevent readiness to be set). Pending code means fault codes that aren't severe enough to trigger the check engine message on the dash but it is stored in the system as a potential future issue.
c) high performance mods- some(not all) aftermarket exhaust manifold and ECU tunes won't allow readiness to set. In the past MD state allowed for up to two readiness parameters not set, within the last 2 years or so they narrowed that down to one parameter and that one parameter cannot be oxygen sensor.

The best possible scenario would be Scenario 1a, or the most popular scenario 2a. the paper receipt from VEIP that I have seen should indicate whether its "no comm" or "not ready to be tested". Try to find out what code was reset to see if its of relevance.*
Agreed with others that suggested acquiring an OBD reader. An OBD reader that can read pending codes and readiness can rule out possible scenarios and get to the root cause. I have one to borrow if needed.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:47 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomChan View Post
I have been through this a number of times with different cars.
Tom, that is all very helpful! I believe it was that it was "not ready." I will check. Any chance a hard-wired VBox system could cause an issue???

We'll hook it up to a P-Wiz next weekend at PorscheFest to try to figure out what is going on. Maybe the cleared code is the problem.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:48 PM

TomChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Any chance a hard-wired VBox system could cause an issue???
If the Vbox is wired directly to the two CAN(Control Area Network) wires that goes into the OBD port and if the Vbox is powered on during the same time the port is trying to communicate with an external test device then yes there can be a conflict. All of the Vbox wiring that I have done and have seen done are wired to a separate set of CAN wires so this statistic is in your favor.

I suggest checking your VEIP receipt in the Overall Result column. If this says "Not ready to be tested" in this column then it should mean that there was communication. Which rules out scenario 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
We'll hook it up to a P-Wiz next weekend at PorscheFest to try to figure out what is going on. Maybe the cleared code is the problem.
PIWIS is an awesome and very capable tool. Probably a little over kill for this task Just in case you happen to be in a time crunch, as others have suggested a generic OBD reader will serve as well for this purpose.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:51 PM

Modian

To add to this, I had to do this today for my 2004 GT3. I couldn’t do emissions testing because I only had 5 of 8 monitors ready. After a short drive and 10 mins of idling, the evap monitor came on. I then drove it for 45 mins in traffic, track pads squealing, and on some highway until the o2 monitor came on. It took almost the whole 45 mins to trip it. Never got the cats monitor to come on.

I used this plugged in to my OBD2 port. Every 5-10 seconds, it updates an emission monitor display that shows all the monitors. I would look at it occasionally to see the state and know when I could head back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6RKE29...ing=UTF8&psc=1

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
To add to this, I had to do this today for my 2004 GT3. I couldn’t do emissions testing because I only had 5 of 8 monitors ready. After a short drive and 10 mins of idling, the evap monitor came on. I then drove it for 45 mins in traffic, track pads squealing, and on some highway until the o2 monitor came on. It took almost the whole 45 mins to trip it. Never got the cats monitor to come on.

I used this plugged in to my OBD2 port. Every 5-10 seconds, it updates an emission monitor display that shows all the monitors. I would look at it occasionally to see the state and know when I could head back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6RKE29...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you! It just shouldn't be this complicated! Is it a Porsche-specific issue??

Old 07-21-2021, 02:56 PM

88carrera

Can you borrow a code reader to determine it’s not a physical connection issue?

I replaced the alternator in my 993 and had codes and wasted a lot of time with that drive cycle. After my third trip back to VEIP failed I called Matt De Maria and he said I needed my codes reset with the Porsche computer. He reset and I drove to straight to VEIP and passed.

Howard
(SOLD) 1974 Datsun 260z, 1997 911, 1988 911
Old 07-21-2021, 03:01 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88carrera View Post
Can you borrow a code reader to determine it’s not a physical connection issue?

I replaced the alternator in my 993 and had codes and wasted a lot of time with that drive cycle. After my third trip back to VEIP failed I called Matt De Maria and he said I needed my codes reset with the Porsche computer. He reset and I drove to straight to VEIP and passed.

Howard
I think I'll buy the cheap tool from Amazon as a starting point. We'll be at the track next weekend and can do more complicated exploration with others' more advanced code readers if needed. Good point about just getting the reader rather than risking a trip to the VEIP after doing the drive cycle.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:26 PM

TomChan

Sounds like Lara has a good plan. For anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation an OBD scanner that has I/M Readiness feature can be helpful. It helps by knowing whether or not the car is ready to tested, so no need to visit the testing station when the car is not ready. And it helps to know which parameter if one of the parameters isn't ready(for in case this particular parameter needs more attention). Example image in attachment.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2021, 01:22 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomChan View Post
Sounds like Lara has a good plan. For anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation an OBD scanner that has I/M Readiness feature can be helpful. It helps by knowing whether or not the car is ready to tested, so no need to visit the testing station when the car is not ready. And it helps to know which parameter if one of the parameters isn't ready(for in case this particular parameter needs more attention). Example image in attachment.
Mine arrived yesterday! I'll hopefully plug it in tomorrow.