944 Temp Sensor Issues - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » 944 Temp Sensor Issues

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 PM

Kaz
Default 944 Temp Sensor Issues

I have a '86 944 NA, but with an '82 engine, also NA. In order to connect the newer temp gauge wires to the engine, looks like previous owner tapped the cooling water socket to fit the newer temp sensor. Now threads are stripped on the socket so I want to see if I need to do the same or if there is an alternative. Is there an adaptor to connect the older style temp sensor to the newer wires? Can I tap into the DME wires so it operates both the DME and temp gauge? Thanks. Kaz
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

Best repair is to buy a new type sender with the two spade lug connections and repair the threads with a time-cert or heli-coil. But the cheap way would be to make a "pigtail" with male spade lugs to connect to the harness and ringlets to connect to the sensor and to ground. I would check the wiring diagrams to make sure this is how this circuit works and to figure out which wire is the supply and which goes to ground if this is how this circuit works. I would NOT tap into the DME temp sender as you would be mixing voltages of two circuits which could lead to some crazy fuel issues since the DME temp sensor adjusts fuel ratio based on engine temperature.

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:02 PM

Kaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPooch View Post
Best repair is to buy a new type sender with the two spade lug connections and repair the threads with a time-cert or heli-coil. But the cheap way would be to make a "pigtail" with male spade lugs to connect to the harness and ringlets to connect to the sensor and to ground. I would check the wiring diagrams to make sure this is how this circuit works and to figure out which wire is the supply and which goes to ground if this is how this circuit works. I would NOT tap into the DME temp sender as you would be mixing voltages of two circuits which could lead to some crazy fuel issues since the DME temp sensor adjusts fuel ratio based on engine temperature.
Thanks for the input. Very helpful. I'll let you know how it goes. Kaz