PINARELLO Late 90’s-ish Bike Build - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » PINARELLO Late 90’s-ish Bike Build

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 AM

HughA44s has one HoF thread
Default PINARELLO Late 90’s-ish Bike Build

I got this frame a few months back with the intention of bolting on a bunch of parts I had in my basement and building a bike that fit me a bit better. I got the frame off of Ebay from a place in Colorado which seems to specialize in vintage bike stuff. Honestly, I was shocked by the great condition of the frame. Basically new and only one or two nick in the decals. It looks like wheels had been mounted only once or maybe twice. The frame has a carbon fiber fork and CF rear chain stays. The idea here is distance cruising – once I get into good enough shape to do that.

I ended up with the following:

- Derailers, crank, and brakes are Campy Chorus.
- Seat post is an older campy record
- Bottom-Bracket is and older campy record or super record (This thing amazes me as it is 30 years old. Just cleaned out and re-greased it and it spins with very little resistant and very smoothly after maybe 5000 miles)
- I stuck with the Look pedals because these seem to work with my knees very well.
- I used a set of Mavic wheels I had which are OK in terms of lightness and seen durable. Will look for something more fitting to the bike in the future. In the meantime I will beat on these.
- I “home-brewed” a 9-Speed click-shift system using Dura-Ace shifters and cluster, Shimano chain and idler wheels. Purest may puke at this but it works.
- I used a Riche adjustable handler bar stem and Profile Bars.
- The headset is Dura-Ace which came with the frame.

The first ride went very good. The only issue was a tracking problem which was easily fixed after I discovered that the rear wheel was not center well. The bike is stiff – no question about that but rides very well. Energy seems to go straight from the pedals to the rear wheels – and it is very responsive. Need to ride a bit more before I try the areo-bars. Fun Project.
Name:  20170604_120323.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  1.48 MB
Name:  20170604_120402.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  1.38 MB
Name:  20170604_120417.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  1.31 MB
Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Pretty. Are the shifters only up on the aero-bars? If so, isn't that a pain for shifting when on the handlebars?

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 06-05-2017, 01:12 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
Are the shifters only up on the aero-bars?
Pretty much standard for anything still mechanical. Only the electronic shift systems put buttons in both locations.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 06-05-2017, 01:29 PM

Too Tall

Those are good frames.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM

"Pretty much standard for anything still mechanical. Only the electronic shift systems put buttons in both locations."

I was wondering about that - make sense.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Hugh, "Rear wheels"? good looking frame. where do you ride?

SMD, Some of the electronic systems can even work in sequential. You can program for an up and down button. The bike shifts the front and rear derailleurs as needed to the combination that is the next ratio or you can override with a double tap and change the programming on the fly from your smart phone. you can even program in combos you don't want to see.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Mostly Quantico Marine Base right now. There is an 8 mile loop and several extensions available off of it so maybe you can turn it into a 15 mile loop. Good News - No glass and cars are not a worry. Bad News - It starts getting boring but since I am just starting back up its great for now.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:13 PM

Too Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post
Mostly Quantico Marine Base right now. There is an 8 mile loop and several extensions available off of it so maybe you can turn it into a 15 mile loop. Good News - No glass and cars are not a worry. Bad News - It starts getting boring but since I am just starting back up its great for now.
Neat. I used to ride a track bike there during the winter only because of quiet roads.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:45 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Prince William forest park is not far from you. Glass smooth asphalt loop with a hella fun dive down and climb out. One way it is a gradual hill to some flat and a 50 mph downhill. the other way gradual descent and a soul sucker but short climb up and out. No car worries.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Vicegrip, Thanks for the heads-up on that. My guess is that it boarders the Base as the turn-off is between the two exits for the base. Actually the roads on the west side of the base are getting kind of bad - much worst than 3 years ago. I suspect budget cuts for base maintenance over the years. One thing I discovered riding that bike is that it really doesn't like big cracks, ect in the roads - it is stiff. From a holistic lifestyle risk management perspective, I think I will stay off heavily traveled NVA roads for awhile. I need to balance out attending club race school in a "street" car.