Guns, Ammo and Such - - Page 10 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Guns, Ammo and Such -

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 11-11-2015, 11:18 AM

SJK

I only handload when I want to tweak the power factor for competition like USPSA production division. All calibers are scored the same so I load heaviest bullet at lowest velocity to make the minimum power factor (weight x velocity)/1000 =126. Let's me shoot 40 S&W (with appropriate custom springs) with recoil like a .22.

Stephen
'02 Boxster S (gone to a good home)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

^ that is why I liked .45 acp. Nice big fat blob of lead you can almost watch making it way along to the target.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread
Default Awesome, just awesome

The Thunder .50 BMG pistol

This is the Thunder .50 BMG pistol made by Triple Action. Apparently, it was created for hunting wild refrigerators hiding behind brick walls.

Name:  6kVMGRQ.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  48.6 KB

This fires the same round as a Barrett sniper rifle. The pistol also weighs in at 12lbs, so it can easily double as a sledge hammer.

Name:  DSUvOae.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  21.4 KB

The 50 BMG bullet weighs about the same as 3 double A batteries strapped together. And someone thought it was a good idea to put this in a pistol

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending

Last edited by Trak Ratt; 11-20-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Not sure what to think about these. OATH Ammunition. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with these or similar?

Name:  tumblr_o1tqibSZjo1un6tkio1_1280.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  92.3 KB

1.25oz slug, 1600 fps. 2.5" expansion. They also have much larger 2.25oz slugs traveling at 1200 fps. You’d need a serious powder charge to get that beast moving. Recoil would be harsh, I’m guessing. That one breaks into (6) 158gr triangular pieces spreading about 15° from original POI. They don’t penetrate very deep, but the center part (which ensures reliable expansion) penetrates deeper than the main portion of the slug itself. They would indubitably leave a pretty grievous wound behind. While I don't reload according to the manufacturer the brass is good for up to 1000 reloads.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 01-31-2016, 12:50 PM

Rick Lee has one HoF thread

I wouldn't touch that ammo with a 10' pole, even in gun-friendly AZ. Always use what the cops use.

BTW, this is my new $100 toy. Works exactly like in this video. Why won't this embed?

Old 01-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Pollo Italiano

ItalyChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
Not sure what to think about these. OATH Ammunition. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with these or similar?

Attachment 49997

1.25oz slug, 1600 fps. 2.5" expansion. They also have much larger 2.25oz slugs traveling at 1200 fps. You’d need a serious powder charge to get that beast moving. Recoil would be harsh, I’m guessing. That one breaks into (6) 158gr triangular pieces spreading about 15° from original POI. They don’t penetrate very deep, but the center part (which ensures reliable expansion) penetrates deeper than the main portion of the slug itself. They would indubitably leave a pretty grievous wound behind. While I don't reload according to the manufacturer the brass is good for up to 1000 reloads.
It looks expensive. Are you familiar with the RIP ammunition? Its basically the same design. I think they make 9mm, 40, and 45 and I want to say it's like $2 a round.

I agree with Rick Lee though, I wouldn't want to use it for anything other than messing around with.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Too bad. it has a high stopping power with low wall or second impact penetration factor. A "Safe round" You don't always need deep penetration if you have a good power factor. Cost of a true defence round is not to be considered as you don't use them for target. $10,000 per round would be chump change in a true defence round with the legal aspects included. You will be looking at far more than that after you shoot someone regardless of circumstance. Me? I only want one story to be told first person, mine. That said even with a supply of LEO only 9mm 40,000 cup p+p hydroshok in hand which as a hard hitting somewhat shallow round for the caliber My home round is standard Federal .45ACP Hydroshok in a Glock 21. Big, fat, slow, less likely to wander off after missing the intended target but a lot of energy when it hits the intended target.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:13 PM

catron1

THIS IS A MUST WATCH

Benelli- Best shotgun ever made by far...

RIP Tom Knapp ..

Bill C "aka" Catdaddy - The Catfather -

Current:
1980 911sc
2019 Ford Raptor
1987 Mercedes 560sl
------------
Sold:
2011 BMW M3
2000 996 C2-IMS 2 Row, RMS Update
1986.5 928s
1987 944 16v
1973 911t
1969 911t "My first car"!!
1969 Westfalia Bus
1973 Volks Superbeetle
Old 02-01-2016, 12:29 AM
Pollo Italiano

ItalyChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Too bad. it has a high stopping power with low wall or second impact penetration factor. A "Safe round" You don't always need deep penetration if you have a good power factor. Cost of a true defence round is not to be considered as you don't use them for target. $10,000 per round would be chump change in a true defence round with the legal aspects included. You will be looking at far more than that after you shoot someone regardless of circumstance. Me? I only want one story to be told first person, mine. That said even with a supply of LEO only 9mm 40,000 cup p+p hydroshok in hand which as a hard hitting somewhat shallow round for the caliber My home round is standard Federal .45ACP Hydroshok in a Glock 21. Big, fat, slow, less likely to wander off after missing the intended target but a lot of energy when it hits the intended target.
The argument isnt the effectiveness of the round against a "deer," the issue is what happens in court when you kill an intruder in your house with such a round. Especially when your jury is likely not knowledge, and likely anti gun to begin with.

Prosecutor: So what was the ammunition you used?
You: <above/RIP>
Prosecutor: Whyd you use ammo that was specifically designed to do such excessive damage when a standard load possibly wouldnt have killed the intruder?
You: Well its because I wanted to use an effective load
Prosecutor: Does law enforcement use this round?
You: No
Prosecutor: So you needed something more "effective" than what police officers use? You intended to kill and be more deadly than a police officer? You used a load with the intent not to stop, but kill?

God forbid the intruder doesnt have a firearm, and you just "killed an unarmed civilian" with a super-lethal round. Using loads like RIP or the style above, a prosecutor can easily make you look like a crazy redneck just waiting for someone to stumble into your house so you had an excuse to kill them. If someone broke into your house and you so much as went downstairs and happened to kill them, that would likely be enough to get you labeled as a human hunter who wasnt defending themselves because at that point you were actively looking for trouble. In a perfect world what you shoudlve done is stay in your room and if they come, announce you have a gun and for them not to come in. Whatever they decided to steal is irrelevant because your life wasnt at stake; just your personal belongings which could be replaced through insurance. Lay on an emotional testimony by the mom/wife/girlfriend, and your likely unemphatic testimony of "yeah I killed him," and theres a case stacked against you even though you and I both feel like you were in the right.

Im not saying thats exactly how I would act being put in that situation, and maybe a little different if you have loved ones in the other rooms, but its not hard for a half decent prosecutor to make you look like a crazy human hunter that was just waiting for the opportunity to kill someone especially when youre using an unusual, specialty, lethally crafted round which is the last thing you want a jury thinking. This is the same argument for not using hand-loads for carry/defense. Id rather leave the entire argument for someone else to have in court and use a just as effective round that is used by law enforcement.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:32 AM

Rick Lee has one HoF thread

If you ever end up on the stand in a trial after shooting an intruder, you have a bad lawyer and/or you ran your mouth to the cops. You should never ever have a conversation with a prosecutor, neither in private, nor in court. You don't owe anyone an explanation after the cops find a dead stranger in your house with signs of forced entry. Keep your mouth shut and let them figure it out.