New to the Board - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:21 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by garment View Post
So, I did replace the ground strap, no change.

In the end, I took the car to Matt DeMaria up by the airpark.

He found the wire from the thermotime switch to the cold start valve has been pinched between the bell housing and the body, and had worn though the insulation and shorted out. He spliced in some new wire and I am firing up just fine.

Finally time to put the side skirts back on, once get the rattle can paint I ordered to paint the torsion bar covers.

Another topic: Anyone going to Hershey?
Congratulations glad you got it sorted, Matt really knows his stuff with the old cars.

A few of us are headed to Hershey

https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=38581

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 12-25-2023, 03:40 PM

garment
Default Update and seeking advice

Well, it's been a minute, so thought I'd provide an update and ask for some advice.

Been enjoying the car more and more as the years have gone by, now 185K on the clock. I did a top end last winter, taking my 3.0L to a 3.2SS (964 cams, 3.2L piston swap with 10:1 compression, lightened flywheel and some other less consequential changes). Still running CIS! And even took the car on the track in Sept '22 (Summit Point; not eager to return, I will stick to road rallies), though I still have yet to do an autocross.

Things took a turn for the worse at the end of this Fall - had a violent pop out of first gear, and a sinking feeling in my stomach. I dropped the gear oil and found a number of dog teeth caught by the magnetic drain plug. I'll have the engine and trans out of the car in the next week or so.

Not excited at all to spend the $$ for a gearbox rebuild (though in all honesty a re-seal was due) so looking for suggestions on how to do it on a budget. I'm also a "do it once, do it right" guy, and I find myself looking longingly at a Wavetrac LSD, billet side cover and retaining plate. I am certain that I am not the first person on this board to be in the same position.

Would love to hear the experience you have with rebuilder or advice on DIY solutions. What would you do? What would you not do? I have no plans to sell, just want many more years of enjoyment.

Thanks to the group!
Old 12-25-2023, 04:48 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Michael,
I went with an OS Giken LSD on my 915 transmission (about 11 years ago) and it was great. Not sure what the comparison is with the Wavetrac, but I know we had no problem installing the OS Giken (by "we" I mean the Dorki who helped me while I watched).

If you decide not to do it yourself, it would certainly be less expensive with the transmission already removed from the car. The mechanics/shops I've had excellent experience with for these were Matt De Maria (Stuttgart Performance Engineering - now in the Montgomery Air Park), Billy Ring (Performance Auto Works, out kind-of near Summit Point--but talk to me about Billy first if you're planning to take it there) and Charlie Murphy (Intersport/Tysons shop).

But of course doing the rebuild working together with the right Dorki would be more rewarding (and less expensive) in the long run.

Peter

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 12-26-2023, 09:38 AM

garment

Yep, spoke with Billy - he refurbed my heads and cam boxes when I did my top end, very satisfied with the results. He's SUPER busy, I got the impression that probably couldn't get to any work given to him today for 6+ months.

Will reach out to Matt! Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
Michael,
I went with an OS Giken LSD on my 915 transmission (about 11 years ago) and it was great. Not sure what the comparison is with the Wavetrac, but I know we had no problem installing the OS Giken (by "we" I mean the Dorki who helped me while I watched).

If you decide not to do it yourself, it would certainly be less expensive with the transmission already removed from the car. The mechanics/shops I've had excellent experience with for these were Matt De Maria (Stuttgart Performance Engineering - now in the Montgomery Air Park), Billy Ring (Performance Auto Works, out kind-of near Summit Point--but talk to me about Billy first if you're planning to take it there) and Charlie Murphy (Intersport/Tysons shop).

But of course doing the rebuild working together with the right Dorki would be more rewarding (and less expensive) in the long run.

Peter