how to keep mice out - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » how to keep mice out

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 06-20-2019, 08:20 PM

Richard Curtis
Default how to keep mice out

Need suggestions on how to keep mice out of cars parked outside. Looking at 12-volt powered ultrasonic devices. I will also use chemical or other spray such as essential oils, peppermint, etc. One little devil just committed suicide by destroying the ventilation fan buried --unfortunately-- deep inside my Focus dash. Guidance based on experience appreciated.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 PM

JmuRiz

From what I've heard they don't work...nothing really works for cars parked outside.

However when I parked the 914 outside when the garage was getting work done, I had luck putting it under a cover and placing mint oil soaked cotton balls all around it and drier sheets inside. Maybe I just got lucky.

I've had loads of chipmunks storing nuts etc under my intake manifold on the A4 (V6)...at least I think the were chipmunks. Doesn't look like the 'stuff' mice 'store' in my shed and in my minisplit before I hardware clothed the thing.
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 06-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Among other things I fight mice for a living.

Ultrasonic anything is 100% effective in 0.000000% of applications. Deterrent sprays are as effective or perhaps even less so.

Install Tin Cats and snap traps in the storage space as they can catch and still be set for the next one and there is a next one...... Bait them with peanut butter filled cheese crackers. The ones that come 6 to a plastic packet. 1/2 a cracker per tin cat. Check the traps every other day. You will need to suck up to dispatching them as Tin cats are live traps but if toy wait long enough they are slow death traps. Google how and where to deploy. Where is important.

Next in line is snappers. Skip the little wood ones. Tom Cat makes a white plastic snap trap that is easy to bait and set and gets most sizes but the very tiny ones. Bait with peanut butter.
Hate to say it but.....sticky traps are the go to for all sizes from adult to the small ones.

Steel wool sealed in with caulk to fill holes.

Warfarin based bates can be used for long term control but don't bait near or in the house and only use in proper bait boxes that keep the baits away from non target pests like dogs and kids.

Domestic cats only increase mouse populations and notably, measurably decrease song bird populations.

Mice can smell even tiny amounts of food or where food was. They will also come into spaces to come out of the cold.

Hate to say it but I have never seen any "humane" formats that do a thing to stop or slow mice and the damage they cause.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:14 PM

mlytle

various versions of this...

have not seen anything work at keeping them away...gotta cut the population.
97 M3
Old 06-21-2019, 09:09 AM

HoodPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
various versions of this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Xz8TG-6MA

have not seen anything work at keeping them away...gotta cut the population.
If used these in the past, particularly in our bygone lawn mower shed, where mice had destroyed some wiring in my riding mower. Another thing not mentioned in the video is to use antifreeze instead of water. Stays liquid in the winter, and slows down the decomposition process if you don't check the bucket frequently.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:06 PM

Richard Curtis
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Among other things I fight mice for a living.

Install Tin Cats and snap traps in the storage space as they can catch and still be set for the next one and there is a next one...... Bait them with peanut butter filled cheese crackers. The ones that come 6 to a plastic packet. 1/2 a cracker per tin cat. Check the traps every other day. You will need to suck up to dispatching them as Tin cats are live traps but if toy wait long enough they are slow death traps. Google how and where to deploy. Where is important.

Kurt: Did you mean TOM CATS (a type of mouse trap) or TIN CUP (a type of whiskey)? Just to be safe, I bought both, but it's going to be tough to pour the whiskey into that small of a glass.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:24 PM

SRG

Tin Cat mousetrap.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:17 AM

cmartin

do you dunk the entire thing in a bucket? Interesting approach.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:48 AM

forklift

We moved to Round Hill 4.5 years ago. The number 1 thing on my wish list for the "new" house was a nice garage. Guess what was and is missing at this house (until I build or modify what I have)?

The PO was a black smith, carpenter and stone mason and built a nice-ish work shop (for him). My car fits with about 2-3" on each side of the side mirrors and there are huge gaps between the sliding doors and in the eves - so mice and snakes come and go. I found evidence of mice in my car the first spring we were here and purchased the bubble quickly. It has been 100% effective so far.

Not that much of a hassle either - probably 3-5 minutes to unzip and roll up the top and vice-versa.
Attached Images

Jim, ex P-car: 93 RSA, G stock #222
Old 06-29-2019, 04:23 PM

ducatithunder

https://youtu.be/C8xh1WqseSk

This seems like a quick death and easy clean up.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)