WTB (and advice wanted): '84-'89 911 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted » WTB (and advice wanted): '84-'89 911

Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted Post For Sale or WTB adds for Porsche & BMW cars here. Strictly moderated.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:01 PM

Jard
Crest WTB (and advice wanted): '84-'89 911

Hi all, name is Jared and I am in Silver Spring, MD.

It's been my dream to own a 911 since high school and I drove a nice borrowed GPW Targa to my senior prom. Now that the kids (5 and 7 yo) are getting a bit older, it's time to buy the fun car I've always wanted. I've owned and raced Subarus since about 2003 and have been active in a bunch of local Subaru and rally forums. I was excited to find a local Porsche forum with the same feel!

I am mechanically inclined and able to the point of disassembling / changing / adjusting suspension, pulling motors, timing belts, brake work, etc. I would not attempt to rebuild a transmission or motor.

What I'm looking for:
A fun care to drive on nice days and maybe commute in it a few days a week in good weather. This will be a 3rd car for our family.

My ideal:
* 84 - 89 coupe or targa (I'm not seeing a ton of downside to a targa for my use cases, but I don't know the pitfalls of this gen - do they leak, rattle, etc?)
* white, silver, brown (no black and no red)
* working A/C (I know "working" is subjective in these cars)

I'm not worried about some exterior or interior blemishes but I don't want to be actively dealing with mitigating rust.

I am looking at 84 - 89 because I understand they already have the appropriate holes and mounting plates to install rear seatbelts with a shoulder belt. I also understand that people install rear seatbelts with shoulder belts into earlier cars but it requires drilling and reinforcing.

I'm monitoring BaT and eBay and I'm willing to travel to get a car or get it shipped but buying local would be much easier.

Thanks for looking!
Old 10-08-2019, 02:18 PM

Chopper Dropper

Usual advice is go for the newest car (88 or 89) G50 gear box, get full PPI hopefully records. Very reliable cars, Targas are great but can come with some noise, leaks and vibration. I have an 88, just reaching 200K miles including lot of track miles, still driven most days and still occasional "gentle" track use. AC is non functioning, never bothered to upgrade it, heat is good. Does not leak rain unless torrential and then just a little.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 10-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Jard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Dropper View Post
Usual advice is go for the newest car (88 or 89) G50 gear box, get full PPI hopefully records. Very reliable cars, Targas are great but can come with some noise, leaks and vibration. I have an 88, just reaching 200K miles including lot of track miles, still driven most days and still occasional "gentle" track use. AC is non functioning, never bothered to upgrade it, heat is good. Does not leak rain unless torrential and then just a little.
Dirk
Thank you!

Am I missing a good local resource to look for cars? Obviously I'm hoping someone local sees this thread and has something close to my ideal to sell...
Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM

Modian

Check Pelican parts too, for cars, parts, and a ton of knowledge.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

You can try pcarmarket, but I’m not sure how that’s doing.

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/all/

I’d also suggest driving both a G50 and 915 car. I thought I always wanted a G50, but ended up with an SC and I really enjoyed the rifle bolt feel of the 915 and cable clutch, especially with a Wevo shifter. It’s so different to the modern feeling G50, and like the manual steering, you can feel everything. This is assuming a recently rebuilt 915.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 10-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

We need a Budget.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:47 PM

Jard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
We need a Budget.
I know, I know.

I didn't want it to be the highlight of the main post...

I want to be driving the car around for $40k.

edit: I think that's reasonable and there have been a few that sold recently on BaT that were really close - I even bid on one the other day - but they are all in California, so add 5% for the BaT fee and $2k (?) for shipping!

Last edited by Jard; 10-08-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Jard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
Check Pelican parts too, for cars, parts, and a ton of knowledge.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

You can try pcarmarket, but I’m not sure how that’s doing.

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/all/

I’d also suggest driving both a G50 and 915 car. I thought I always wanted a G50, but ended up with an SC and I really enjoyed the rifle bolt feel of the 915 and cable clutch, especially with a Wevo shifter. It’s so different to the modern feeling G50, and like the manual steering, you can feel everything. This is assuming a recently rebuilt 915.
Thanks!

I'm certainly not afraid of the 915 and received the same advice from another friend who prefers it. I just feel like I need to budget $4 - $6k for a 915 rebuild if history is unknown and then that takes away any savings from just buying a later G50 car.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:39 PM

super90 has two HoF threadssuper90 has two HoF threads

Keep in mind that a G50 is also going to be around 30 years old and may also need a rebuild. My advice, up your budget to around 50 and try to find a near perfect car.
PS: include SC’s in your search, great cars.

1. 1957 356 Slate Grey Speedster
2. 1968 911L..."R" White/Red
3. 1968 911S Polo Red
4. 1971 911T... "ST" Signal Orange
5. 1972 914 ..Tangerine Survivor
6. 1973 911T Targa Irish green
7. 1973 911T Targa Chartreuse ...Project
8. 1985 911 Euro Carrera ‘Safari’
9. 2009 Cayenne GTS
10. 2016 Cayenne S hybrid

R-Gruppe #498
Early S Registry #968
Old 10-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Recommend you turn back the clock 5 years and pick one up for $11k-$12k.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 PM

Modian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jard View Post
Thanks!

I'm certainly not afraid of the 915 and received the same advice from another friend who prefers it. I just feel like I need to budget $4 - $6k for a 915 rebuild if history is unknown and then that takes away any savings from just buying a later G50 car.
Maybe I’m looking at old prices, but I thought a 915 was 2-3k and a G50 was 6-8k? I thought I remembered reading you could rebuild a 915 3 times for the cost of a G50. Plus much simpler to do yourself.

I agree with paying more to get one sorted at least mechanically. My SC had a recently rebuilt 915. My 964 had a recently rebuilt engine and transmission. I was able to drive and enjoy both right away and just fix cosmetic things, slowly turning them into mine. Both had driver quality paint, which also allowed me to be less concerned about driving everywhere and parking anywhere. I put over double the miles on my 964 in the past year over my “daily”.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3