NASA, SCCA, or ? - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » NASA, SCCA, or ?

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951 View Post
That's SOP for 99% of 17 y/o's. They lack the "fear gene," as I like to call it. It's really the same with any sport: kids are phenomenal at tapping into 110% of their abilities and giving everything their all, sometimes to excess. What they lack is experience, perspective, situational awareness and in-the-moment analytic skills.

Hell, I was working with one 17 y/o last season who did over $400k in damage to two different cars over two weekends (Road Atlanta and the Glen). He was fast enough to qualify 3rd, but had no idea how to tell when he was traipsing around the edge...at the Glen, he crashed the car in every session (incl. the race itself).

TurboPooch, salient points you make sir. Are you (and he) interested in going pro, or rather making a good amateur career?

I'd actually say it's about money, then more money, then more money, followed by some talent thrown in for good measure.
Thanks Collin for your perspective. Your anecdote is exactly what I fear (and can't even begin to afford) should we put this kid in a situation he is unprepared for. I want to provide the opportunity and guidance to be a good club racer and if he gets noticed, so be it but the funding is his problem, not mine. Think Mike Skeen here. I certainly have no need for a reality check but also don't want to be the one to squash a kid's dream.

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera51 View Post
Steve:
He can run with NASA Mid Atlantic. Sign him up for March at VIR, or April at Summit Point. If you do, I'll instruct him. With the experience he has already, he will pick up what he needs to be doing in the car. I love working with drivers who want to eventually go racing.

PM email, or call me if you want to discuss.
Thanks, Mark. I may take you up on that. He rrespects you and I know he will listen to your inputs. We'll talk.

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.