Help regarding induction range/cooktop - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Help regarding induction range/cooktop

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 01-15-2023, 05:47 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads
Default Help regarding induction range/cooktop

We're thinking of getting induction for our kitchen, but some ranges/cooktops make signifiant noise (whine/hum when cooking - we heard this with Monogram and Dacor) while others are quieter. Does anybody have an LG induction range out cooktop? Does anybody with ANY brand of induction know if this is a factor of the cookware (that is, less noise with heavy cast-iron cookware compared with thinner steel cookware)?

Thanks in advance.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 01-16-2023, 12:38 PM

hoophead

We have a Bosch induction cooktop from a few years ago. Just a slight buzzing for a couple seconds at startup, quiet after that. We mostly have lighter cookware, so I can't speak to noise from cast iron.
'11 997.2 Carrera S Cab
'09 987.2 Cayman S
'12 Audi TT-RS
'05.5 Audi S4
'20 GMC Tow Beast
'03 986 Boxster Base (kid #3)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:22 PM

ducatithunder

We have the fridigaire gallery induction top on our stove/oven. I can’t say I have ever heard any humming. You do hear it when it fires off but it’s not a droning noise. I have used cast iron skillets and le creuset pots without any rattle. Can’t speak to the other brands.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 01-16-2023, 02:06 PM

Chopper Dropper

Maybe dumb question but isn't induction supposed to be instant heat off, which I don't see with cast iron/LeCruset type cookware where the weight of iron continues cooking for a while
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 01-16-2023, 04:35 PM

Dandelion

We have a Samsung induction - it does hum while cooking but seems independent of the type of cookware. We don't find it to be an issue.

@Dirk - yes, induction is instant off in terms of feeding more heat energy to the cookware, but of course any cookware has thermal mass, so the temp inside the pot won't change instantly. Induction is like gas that way - you can turn off the flame and the cookware will stop heating, but the cookware's thermal mass means there won't be an instantaneous temperature change.

Compared to other kinds of electric (e.g. the resistance coil type) - the coil itself is hotter than the cookware, so when you shut it off, it takes time for the coil to stop transferring additional heat to the cookware. Because induction is magnetically heating the cookware itself, heat stops being transferred as soon as the current is off.

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 01-16-2023, 04:36 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

The heat originates in the metal of of pan or pot rather than being radiated into it by
source below the cookware. Instant off means less latent heat in the cooking surface. Any heat in the surface was radiated there by the cookware. They have their pros and cons.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:31 AM

Mark Hubley

In August 2021, Susan and I moved into a house with a GE Profile induction cooktop. The oven is separate.

I love it. It heats fast, you can get water boiling really quick. As mentioned previously, the surface also cools fast (assuming you remove whatever you heated). I also love the fact that it is super easy to keep clean. We had a number of aluminum and glass pots and pans, and we gave them away. Had to buy a new set of induction-ready cookware. We were due for new pots and pans anyway. Sometimes as I begin heating something, especially when I crank it up, there is some humming noise. Once the heat levels off, it stops. I really don't notice it. Noise is not a problem.

One issue we have sometimes is that a burner will often turn off quickly if you remove the pan. For example, we will make popcorn on the stove, and that typically involves repeatedly lifting the pot from the burner. If you hold it off for more than a quick moment, the burner may go off.

Susan does not like the induction cooktop, and she frequently complains about it. I'm not sure why, and she hasn't given a good explanation. I do most of the cooking, but she is the one who does the popcorn, so maybe that's it? She wants to replace it with a gas cooktop. Not sure that we will go through with that. I love the induction cooktop.

Susan is a good cook, but she makes a mess every time she cooks. As mentioned above, it is super easy to clean the induction cooktop. I think it will be a pain to keep a gas cooktop clean, but I've never had a gas stove.

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 01-17-2023, 10:19 AM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hubley View Post
One issue we have sometimes is that a burner will often turn off quickly if you remove the pan. For example, we will make popcorn on the stove, and that typically involves repeatedly lifting the pot from the burner. If you hold it off for more than a quick moment, the burner may go off.
Hmm. When it goes off, does it not come back on when you lower the pan? I can see that as being a pain.

The Samsung we have has knobs for the induction burners, and will go to "standby" if you lift the pan off - but will turn back on if you bring the pan back on.

IIRC, there is also a timeout if the pan is off for a long period of time, where you do need to turn the knob to off and then back on to restart it, but it doesn't kick in unless the pan is missing for a couple of minutes...

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 01-17-2023, 12:01 PM

Mark Hubley

Just did a quick test. Started warming a pan and took it off the burner. It gave me 30 seconds before it turned off. Very rarely a problem, but there has been a time or two where I got something too hot, took it off the burner, put it back on, and didn't notice the burner turned off. Hasn't happened to me in a while.

I am more likely to have the problem of over-boiling something. When I set something on high to boil, it will boil quickly. If I don't pay attention, it is easy to overdo it. Fortunately, cleanup is easy!

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 01-17-2023, 02:44 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hubley View Post
Susan is a good cook, but she makes a mess every time she cooks. As mentioned above, it is super easy to clean the induction cooktop. I think it will be a pain to keep a gas cooktop clean, but I've never had a gas stove.
Good cooks make messes

Nice thing about prosumer gas ranges are they have pull-out catch trays. So very easy to clean. And stuff that spills/ falls onto the grates (as opposed to through) gets carbonized quickly, so not really a sanitary issue. Usually the grates are easy to pull off to wash/ rinse.

Our gas range gets used 2-3xs/ day (wife works from home). It's easy to wipe down to a 'good enough' state on a daily basis. We quickly wipe the drip tray about once per week (unless a pot boiled over -- in that case we will soak up the liquid in the tray as soon as we finish cooking). We don't need to pull the grates very often for cleaning (once every month or so?). As long as the igniters are relatively clean and the flame holes are clear don't sweat some baked-on sauce. Ranges are for cooking, not for being photographed for architecture magazines.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...