My new Project 911T - Page 5 - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:26 AM

rothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonioconceicao View Post
Great work !

I also been removing undercoat that was applyed on my Citroen CX chassi, its a messy job , I will try Kerosine next , thanks for the tip

On mine they spray everything

After a week removing crazy amount of undercoat I re apply Por15 undercoat and looks really nice

Keep up good work

Antonio

Attachment 47908

Looks like you had to deal with a smooth surface. I removed the coat from the protective plate, under the front cross bar with some citrus strip, and I was able just to scrape it off with a putty knife, after having the strip on far a few days. The same thing didn't work that nice on the section with the chip guard. However, the Kerosine works.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
1966 912 - Future Project
Old 08-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

You guys might want to try The thick clinging type paint stripper. I found it will go to bare metal in one application and was by far the least effort and fastest method I tried. Use the meth chloride type stripper. The thick stuff that dries in place is handy. You glob it on and wait a bit. When it gets thick but not dead dry you can simply shovel everything off with a rounded off dull putty knife or wood scraper without scratching the metal or much work. Remove before it dries all the way. The stuff that falls off will dry into crunchy chunks that you can bag and toss. No liquids to deal with. I use corigated cardboard as a drop cloth. The shavings come right off when dry. No muss no fuss.

I take about 20 twelve inch long bamboo grill skewers and bundle them into a round bunch. I tape one end with electrical tape about 4 inches up. I belt sand the free end into a wedge shape. It ends up looking like a wood fiber round paint brush. This works real well to dig the almost dry stripper and coating out of odd shapes. When it gets a bit frazzled sand it down some. Add in some brass brushes and go to town.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 08-07-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:15 PM

rothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threads

OK, time for an update, after a short interruption for the green car.

I made the supports for the rotisserie.

I'm using the engine stands I used for the beetle.
Front

Rear

And here connected to the stand.

And here up on the grill

And flipped to the side.

And here you can see that crap I still have to remove, but having the car in this position will make it a bit easier, if that is even possible.

So now that I can easy look into the hole, I found a little surprise, which I don't like.

At the section where the bushing sits, is the ring at the bottom section rusted away.

I cleaned it up a bit and found that the ring is still solid, but has some pitting. The rest of the tube is very solid and has just some surface rust.

I'm thinking about to grind out that piece and make a sleeve with the ring, which is the stop point for the bushing. Once I have it out, I should see if the outer sleeve part is actually welded on the inside, which I don't think. I think it's only inserted and welded around the outside.

This weekend I will make an attempt to get that black crap of the floor. If anyone want to come by and help, I got plenty of kerosene.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6

Last edited by rothaus; 09-10-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

I often get to thinking I know something about working on cars, and then there's something like this to put be back in my place! Nice work.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 09-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Black stuff heats and softens well. Heat gun and a smooth de-edged rounded corner putty knife plows through it like butta' getting about 95%. The next 4% comes of with heat and wire brush and the last 1% is left to a rag wipe down with hydrocarbons.

You can heat the goo off the bottom without cooking the inside stuff off. heat an area to warm then hit the gunk right in front of the knife and you move along.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

The bushing backing ring issue you have is not uncommon. I have cut 1/2 moons of 1/8 steel. Cut the rusty area off and fit up the steel moon. I do a hot small tight mig weld. The weld bead remakes the radius. This area does not have to be perfect as it only holds a rubber bushing.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
The bushing backing ring issue you have is not uncommon. I have cut 1/2 moons of 1/8 steel. Cut the rusty area off and fit up the steel moon. I do a hot small tight mig weld. The weld bead remakes the radius. This area does not have to be perfect as it only holds a rubber bushing.
Thanks, that was what I was thinking. it's always great to get input from an expert. Do you know if the sleeve is only welded from the outside ?

BTW: I got most of the black stuff off today. Will post some pictures after the weekend.

Thanks
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 PM

OK, I get most of this stuff off.

Here is partial success

I got the stuff off. This is like some paint over spray.

Here the rear end.

It's amazing what can be found once the black crap is removed, the blank metal.

There is a lot of grinding and re-welding needed to get this right.

This is what I found after cleaning off the black stuff. This is the inside of the left side of the door lock post.

So much for that.

I made some dollies, so I can roll it around.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 PM

I made some progress.

Started on the welds of the front suspension pan. Where the new pan connects to the old piece it was overlapped about 2.5" and welded on both sides.

I started careful to grind of the bottom layer. It already had some surface rust in between.

I was able to clean it up and re-weld as needed.

From the inside, and more welds to grind, re-weld and grind.

Here partial done.

And here after I got it all cleaned up, and a coat of POR15. Next some primer and seal sealer, and after that the Chip Guard, or goes the chip guard first and then the primer ??

Moving to the Rockers. I was not sure what's under the lead filler, so I decided to remove it.
Another find I didn't like to see.

Basically the same thing on the other side. The door posts were replaced and the overlap from the quarter panel is very thin and has some holes. Also it is dented in at the rocker section.

At the left side some repairs were done to rocker support. It must have being pounded in with a hammer or so.

I'm thinking to get a new section for the left and right side for the quarter panel. there is a 6" section available, and once open, I can also replace the rocker support.

So now I move to the rear end of the car, and see what damage I can do. The back section of the right quarter panel was replace replaced. And I being told that that was done, when the original owner picked up the car new in Stuttgart, and had an accident.

The section is already pulled in a bit, and I will need some lead to fill it, but I also re-welded and cleaned it up a bit.

More good news. I started to poke around at the left section where the quarter panel meets the back section, and found quite some body filler.

After getting rid of all the body filler, I was surprised that it was in good shape, no rust, just ugly. But if don't remove the filler, you don't know what's under it.

The other side looks pretty good.

So now I will get those pieces, before I start cutting.

I'm now a bit more behind as I wish, I was hoping to get soon to the point for Painting, but now this may will not happen before the end of this year.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
Old 10-21-2015, 08:59 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

Nice work, as usual! Thanks for the write up!
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles