My "new" E46 (1999 328i) - Page 7 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » My "new" E46 (1999 328i)

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

I knew of a 530 that had some 400K on the motor. It would still be in service had someone not crashed into it.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 AM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

By the way, the value cover is the updated version (which is a good thing) and is a little less likely to leak oil on to the headers in tight right hand turns producing large clouds of smoke. Did the same thing (expect without your noted precision and detail), Like yours my plugs were fried (it does have a number of track days on it). By the way I did some research and your numbers are not out of line with want others are seeing. Mine were messed up as the battery was low to begin with and was near dead at the end. Will redo in the future but I got enough to know that the engine was still strong - despite having a Low (read zero) oil pressure event at mid-Ohio for a half a lap.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Now on to the re-occuring P0171 and P0174 CEL codes hunt and fix. Theres one or two parts of the Emissions system I have not changes yet - Will start there. As noted, these cars are noted for having bomb-proof motors but the surrounding stuff is intended to be replaced completely at the 100000 mark. The good news, in general the parts are cheaper than a similar Porsche part.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Would it be easier to pull the engine (at 100K miles or so) to replace all the "surrounding" stuff?

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 02-23-2016, 09:05 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post
By the way I did some research and your numbers are not out of line with want others are seeing.
That is good to hear. The numbers were so good I was honestly afraid I messed up the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post
Now on to the re-occuring P0171 and P0174 CEL codes hunt and fix.
Yup, that's where I'm at now. With the engine in good shape, I went and ordered replacement parts for anything rubber under the hood. This means:
  • New power steering lines
  • All new coolant hoses
  • New manifold gaskets (throttle body/injectors/etc)
  • new brake booster line
  • New CCV (oil seperator and all hoses)
  • New valve cover/oil filter housing gaskets
  • New SAP hose
  • New belts
Most of the stuff I got was Rein/Febi/etc. I.e. Not BMW parts, but supposedly good quality. Stayed away from the URO stuff. Interestingly, the best deal I found on this was from ECS Tuning for a cold weather kit from BMW. It was $100 for all of the parts (oil separator and all hoses).All the aftermarket brands were $200 for their kit.

So, time to begin. Let's get that manifold out. Many of the jobs I'm doing CAN be done without removing the manifold, but I love just taking everything apart, cleaning well, and reassembling. Spending hours trying to fish my hands around shit in a dirty engine is not really my thing.

Name:  IMG_1901.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  174.4 KB

Done. Kind of a bitch, but I've done worse. Ugh, it's so dirty.

Name:  NoManifold.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  343.5 KB

For those wondering, I numbered the major items here:
  1. Oxygen sensor lines running to the exhaust
  2. Coolant hoses going to the heater core. The right one goes to the water control valve; the left goes to the expansion tank. These are being replaced because doing that later will require manifold removal again.
  3. Fuel tank vent. Mostly hard plastic, but there is a rubber end on it (which is cracked and needs to be replaced).
  4. Fuel lines. Still debating on replacing these. They actually look in pretty good shape (no cracks/dry rot)
  5. Coolant Temp Sensor. Replacing because of WYIT - $10 for a new one and NFW do I want to pull the manifold later to do it.
  6. Starter. Not replacing, which means it will definitely crap out on me a day after I get this thing back together.
  7. Intake ports. Funny story - in removing the manifold, I found a little nest and a shitload of acorns on top of it. I guess someone had made themselves a nice little home up there for a while. I fortunately didn't find any critters. I removed the nest and vacuumed as much of the acorns and dirt out as I could. Some still fell into the intake ports when the manifold was removed, but thankfully the ports are prett big and easy to vacuum out (I made sure the intake valves where the nest was were closed for this very reason).
  8. Upper water pipe. Plastic because BMW. Goes from the block to the heater core water valve. It and the rubber hose attached to it are being replaced.
  9. Knock sensors. Like the starter, not being replaced so will probably crap out on me almost immediately after the car is back together.
  10. Lower water pipe. Again, plastic. It and the rubber hose attached to it are being replaced (this rubber hose is the one that has the hole in it)
  11. Valve cover. Gasket to be replaced
  12. Oil hose to VANOS. Leaks everywhere. Being replaced.
  13. Oil filter console. Gasket leaks everywhere. Will be removed and replaced.
  14. Brake booster hose. Not in bad shape actually, but 17 years of rubbing on the bottom of the manifold has started to wear a hole through the hose. So it gets replaced, too.
1999 E46 328i
Old 02-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Here's the back of the manifold on the bench. Again numbers because here at Dorkiphus, we seek to teach as well as entertain.

Name:  Manifold.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  121.4 KB
  1. Oil separator. This is the central part of the CCV system. Porsches have these, too. They all like go bad and like to pump oil into the intake manifold in addition to throwing lean mixture codes. Note the red arrow - while there was a lot of dry rotted rubber found, this was probably the main culprit for my SES light issues. Big crack in the vacuum line. All to be replaced.
  2. Fuel tank purge valve. The rubber hose will be replaced.
  3. DISA valve hole. My DISA valve looks to be in good shape. It doesn't have a BMW symbol on it, so I assume it's been replaced. There are some tutorials out there that show you how to test it and mine's in pretty good shape.
  4. Idle valve inlet. Gasket here is in good shape, so it'll stay
  5. Throttle body inlet. New gasket here.
  6. More vacuum/emissions crap. All of these hoses were dry rotted and cracked. New hose all around.
Yeah, so you can see in this last pic that the manifold brackets are in pretty rough shape with rust. Yeah, that won't do, now will it? Some good ol' POR-15 on all the brackets. Also hit the injector bodies (which were surface rusty) and the VANOS solenoids (also surface rusty).

Name:  PorBrackets.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  143.8 KB

Next up - pull the oil filter housing console. Now, I posted a thread not too long ago about doing this same job on my E90. I have to tell you - on the E46 this job is 100x more difficult. The biggest problem on the E90 was paying $41 for a single use tool to get the bolt off. On the E46? Remove half the shit bolted to the engine. Alternator, belts, tensioner, VANOS oil lines, power steering pump. Here it is one the bench - again, filthy. This thing's been leaking probably for the better part of a decade. $4 gasket and a metric ton of PITA and that problem goes away.

Name:  OFConsole.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  164.3 KB

Finally, remove all the other hoses/lines, plug up the open holes and clean, clean, clean. I pulled the thermostat and water pump for pre-emptive replacement as well. The thermostat was cracked up on one of the connectors and I'm fairly certain the water pump bearing are on their way out, so I'm happy with that decision.
So clean:

Name:  CleanEngine.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  190.5 KB

Name:  CleanEngine2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  155.2 KB
1999 E46 328i
Old 02-23-2016, 10:27 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

Nice job, man
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 02-23-2016, 11:13 PM

I feel strange in discussing the need to clean parts very well before re-install with you but a quick lesson learned: When you removed the oil filter housing, you exposed the clean side of the oil circuit supply to the VANOS. One piece of crap in the clean side and it may mess up the VANOS. The good news is mine needed replacement anyway - Mine failed very soon after I replaced the seal.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 PM

Also, the oil return from the CCV to the crankcase is through the oil dipstick tube. These clog and also have a small o-ring at the bottom. I ran a bunch of rake clean through mine. Also the CCV unit was upgraded to a "cold weather unit" with insulation around it. It is suppose to clog as much. It maybe the only ones now available.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

Clean makes my heart sing. Nicely done in OCD style