Putting a 2 post lift in an old farm field - Page 6 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Putting a 2 post lift in an old farm field

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 AM

ducatithunder

Looking good. Are you going to seal or epoxy the concrete? Im having the foundation poured for my 28x46 next week.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

The floor is sealed with Ghostshield 8505 over a densifier. The 8505 seems to do a good job of blocking oil spills, which can be cleaned up even after sitting. It soaks in so the floor isnt slippery and unlike epoxy it isn't damaged by welding sparks or other abuse.

8505 is about $1sq ft. Black Talon advises that there are commercial silane-siloxane sealers that will do the same for less money, maybe worth asking.

(That said, lemme know if you end up choosing 8505, I have leftover concentrate)

Talk about whatever your plans are with your contractor - don't want him adding a sealer if you're going to use one that needs to soak in.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 PM

ducatithunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevinney View Post
The floor is sealed with Ghostshield 8505 over a densifier. The 8505 seems to do a good job of blocking oil spills, which can be cleaned up even after sitting. It soaks in so the floor isnt slippery and unlike epoxy it isn't damaged by welding sparks or other abuse.

8505 is about $1sq ft. Black Talon advises that there are commercial silane-siloxane sealers that will do the same for less money, maybe worth asking.

(That said, lemme know if you end up choosing 8505, I have leftover concentrate)

Talk about whatever your plans are with your contractor - don't want him adding a sealer if you're going to use one that needs to soak in.
Yeah, I talked with my guy today. They put on a sealer after burnishing. I wont be building on the pad until Oct-Nov. Dug the footer today. Should be pouring the slab and beams early next week. It will be exposed until then so a sealer is probably a good ideal. I imagine I will have to diamond grind it off if I want to seal it again down the road.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

How about having him use your choice of sealer? Be all done at once, and paid for once.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:31 AM

cmartin

I really like the sealer idea, assuming quality stuff. I spent so much effort and $$ with epoxy and I hate to admit its a bit of a worry.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
I really like the sealer idea, assuming quality stuff. I spent so much effort and $$ with epoxy and I hate to admit its a bit of a worry.
I realized early in the planning that I'm way too sloppy and impatient to have a fussy floor.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

The only real downside of this lift is that, like many, it's a PITA with a low, shorter wheelbase car. First couple of time up I did the dance: unscrew the pads, bring in car, swing in the rear arms, roll forward, swing in front arms, then roll to the middle and jack up the car so that I can get the pads on. I'm too old and fat to enjoy that much nonsense anymore, so I built some bridges.

Now I can drive up and over the arms (with pads attached), pull out the center bridge sections, set the arms and lift.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2018, 10:50 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Nice! My Rotary has the cable crossover at the top. So I used 2''x12"x10'. Never got around to drilling holes to lighten, but has been very manageable. My lift arms swing over 2x's

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 10-14-2018, 11:22 AM

sithot

NICE GARAGE. The house design is great and I do envy your heating system.

The garage door mechanic ran the tracks following the roof/ceiling line. It's an "A" on this end of the garage. Other side has an 11' ceiling and a 4 post lift for storage. FWIW, this is a free-standing building on the property about 100 yards from the house. I wish it were attached to the house because the walk can be very cold in the winter.

This picture is about 7 years old before installing Mitsubishi "Slim Man" units. The temperatures in the Shenandoah Valley the are bit lower than the other side of the Blue Ridge but humidity can still creep up. These have been great for control. The Hot Dawgs can be fired off in the sub 20º's for added heat and can bring it up quickly on the coldest days. I highly recommend both companies.
Recently I installed a Harvey exhaust vent so any car can be run inside with the doors closed. Carburetor adjustments are far more tolerable now.
https://www.harveyexhaust.com

Here's the 2 post with power on top with over-travel stop. There is also a laser guide for centering. I recommend a spotting dish for different length cars.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2018, 03:06 PM

cmartin

Nice setup

I've thought about one of these but never get around to it. The carbon monoxide detector went off the other day while I was working on the garden tractor. Reminds me to maybe add another detector.