Questions about MD resident purchasing car in VA - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Questions about MD resident purchasing car in VA

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 12-19-2019, 01:23 PM

racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
^^^

Show the dealer that you reside out of state and you are exempt form paying local taxes. You will pay Maryland upon registration. As stated above Maryland has one of the toughest state in inspections in the county. Most cars from out of state will not pass Maryland inspection. Insist on putting the car through MARYLAND STATE SAFETY INSPECTION prior to purchase.
and yet, this is the same state that only makes you inspect up registration.. not yearly, correct? Agreed, it could be tough (I recall my folks panicking when moving from NJ to MD and having to get their carbed '74 911 through the emissions side of the equation, not quite applicable here I assume) and if its a CPO from a Nova Dealer, chances are that it will do well. Also a chance if a large enough dealer that they have locations in MD and would be familiar with the inspection process.

Here is a link to MD list of what is inspected:
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../58000-01T.htm
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 12-19-2019, 01:40 PM

scott
Default tax

Technically you pay sales tax or a vehicle value tax when you title the vehicle in your name in MD. Registration or tags for the car is predicated on having title and the MD state safety inspection PASS certificate.

Dealers who complete the title work for the vehicle will collect the MD title tax and fee, 100.00 at the time of the sale. If it is a new vehicle the MD safety inspection is included. If is is a used vehicle, a temp registration is issued so you can drive it off the lot, and it is up to the buyer to inspect, repair as needed, and complete the registration for tags.

Finally, you may buy a car from a small dealer or individual that gives you a signed title and bill of sale, preferably notarized, so that MD can assess the title tax based on the sales amount of the transaction, if not, vehicles newer than 7 years old will be assessed "book" value to calculate the title tax. once you title the car you take ownership of the car, but technically you are not allowed to drive that vehicle until you file for a temporary tag, which is actually your metal tag with a sticker that expires the last day of the following month, giving you as little as 30 days or as many as 59 days to complete the inspection.

1982 SC
1991 Vanagon wrx powered
1962 sunroof beetle
Www.mansispeed.com
Old 12-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Technically you pay sales tax or a vehicle value tax when you title the vehicle in your name in MD. Registration or tags for the car is predicated on having title and the MD state safety inspection PASS certificate.

Dealers who complete the title work for the vehicle will collect the MD title tax and fee, 100.00 at the time of the sale. If it is a new vehicle the MD safety inspection is included. If is is a used vehicle, a temp registration is issued so you can drive it off the lot, and it is up to the buyer to inspect, repair as needed, and complete the registration for tags.

Finally, you may buy a car from a small dealer or individual that gives you a signed title and bill of sale, preferably notarized, so that MD can assess the title tax based on the sales amount of the transaction, if not, vehicles newer than 7 years old will be assessed "book" value to calculate the title tax. once you title the car you take ownership of the car, but technically you are not allowed to drive that vehicle until you file for a temporary tag, which is actually your metal tag with a sticker that expires the last day of the following month, giving you as little as 30 days or as many as 59 days to complete the inspection.
Leave car in VA, quit job, sell house, move to VA, buy house, get new job and then register the car. Less work.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:01 PM

Robert in Potomac

The biggest advantage to buying a car in Virginia, if you live in Maryland, is that if you trade in a car, you pay sales taxes only on the net amount, so some savings there. Of course, dealers tend to offer less than private buyers, so that needs to be considered.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:59 PM

cmartin

Most places will ding you for something, seemingly if they need to keep their alignment or headlight machine working. For the most part if something fails its bad. Its automated now, not more old 3 piece forms.

20+ yrs old, historic and done.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Where's the beef?

Goggles Paesano

I owned a car dealership in Maryland for just over 20 years. If you have any questions, PM me.
Denis

Denis Jenkins (PCA'86)
95 318ti S54
97 318ti S52
95 M3 S54 vin 00067
87 RX7 ITS
02 330i
98 328i
71 911T
70 Karmann Ghia,
96 f350 7.3
available
Gone
4 356's,1 996, 4 911's, 1 912, 2 Boxster S, 5 914's, 3 944's, 3 951, 1 924S, 3 95 m3, 03 M3,95 Ti/CS. 97M345, 84 rx7chump car, ITB gti 21, ITB GTI 48, 89 325is s52,07 Z4 coupe, 69 Charger General Lee, 2 66 Cadillac verts, 1 68 cadillac vert, and many many others
Old 12-20-2019, 01:38 PM

Mark Hubley

Thank you all for your input. I have put the purchase of a "new" car on hold for now. I bought my daily driver 325i a little over two years ago, and I am pretty fond of it. This past Tuesday, my son borrowed it, and when I drove it Wednesday morning, it didn't want to go into third gear. When I asked him about it, he knew he messed up a shift. I don't really want to spend my holiday replacing a transmission, and I had just about convinced myself to use this as an excuse to get something newer. But, I like the car, and over the past two years I have put it in pretty good shape. So, I have decided to get a used gearbox and a new clutch kit, and keep driving the Bimmer. I have my two-post lift, so I may as well use it. I've R&R'ed trannies on a 944, a 924S, my 996, and a Jeep Patriot. So, I imagine this won't be too bad.

Formerly owned Porsche/BMW:
1986 944 Turbo
2006 325i
2000 911
1987 924S
1999 Boxster
1986 944
Old 12-20-2019, 03:30 PM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hubley View Post
...So, I imagine this won't be too bad.
"Hold my beer."

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 12-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Dave O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakka View Post
Have bought 2 cars in the past in VA, the dealer collected the MD tax, when I had the vehicle inspected, I sent the inspection certificate to the dealership, who handled all the filings. Tags arrived a week or so later.
Depending where in VA, some dealerships work with shops in MD, so they can get the MD inspection done for you, to cut out you having to do it.
As others said, if a private sale, then you pay everything(tax, tags, registration) when you go to MVA, after it's been inspected.

This is exactly the process we did in October to get a 2014 Jetta tdi on VW's CPO sell back program. Lindsay VW in Dulles for the sale and Lindsay Ford in MD inspected it for free as a courtesy.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:20 PM

Elric42

I just got my Cayman from Tyson's Porsche. I paid the MD tax at time of purchase. I then had to take the car to for an MD inspection. I did get a $400 or so refund after my car was registered.

VA dealers cannot do MD inspections at their location, and as a rule, they will not take the cars to MD to do the inspection, as it is time consuming. But, in my case and others, they have been pretty accommodating if the car fails.

Of course, YMMV.

Elric42