So it's been awhile... - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » So it's been awhile...

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 PM

pookie
Default So it's been awhile...

since I posted here. It has also been far too long since I have done anything to my 911. Some of you may remember me, if not I'll never forget some of you helping with an engine drop/install, and things like Tito repacking my axle shafts. I've been busy in a good way, raising two highly entertaining kids, but now they both want to ride in the 911 at the same time. I've decided I need to get off my butt and get the car back in shape. I've also decided to use this time to correct some of stupid things I did 17 years ago when I first got the car.

Here are the specs on the car:
1976 911 S Targa
3.2 motor
Steve Wong chip
Euro ride height
Bilstein shocks front and rear (I think)
Larger torsion bars but I don't remember which ones (they came from someone on here though)

The car has been taken out and used for short drives around town/backroads the past 8 years but it has not been maintained like it should have. I have at least been lucky enough that TN has 100% gas without any ethanol that I have used since we got here.

Things I know it needs:
- rear tires
- valve adjustment
- oil change
- brake bleed
- brake pads and rotors (probably)
- spark plugs
- air filter
- small dent on the driver's fender
- headlight rings could use a paint
- rear bumper to body seal replaced
- door panels fixed or replaced
- steering wheel loose
- targa bar interior material is coming loose

Things I would like to do:
- replace the seats with aftermarket or nice factory ones (currently has some trashed stock seats)
- clean the interior and exterior
- RS door panels (prefer to make my own)
- possible replace the carpet
- clean the underside of the car, wheel wells, fenders, etc.
- lightweight battery and tie down

And because nothing is complete without a pic, here is one from a few months ago. Lighting is bad but it is one of the most recent pics. (also is there a way to load pics without having to resize them all?)
Attached Images

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap
Old 06-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Hey Ryan,...how the heck are you...hope all is well with the family...sounds like a fun project...am doing something similar on mine...hope to finish in a few months...if I can get off the golf course...

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 06-13-2018, 11:41 AM

John Hallen

Fond memories of Tito and myself chasing your axle bearings down your driveway while you and Rick where taking a chunk out of your trans to clear the speed sensor. Just went through pretty much the same thing myself. After some years of benign neglect dropped the engine to put in some new seals and gaskets, valve adjustment, and replace ignition parts. Purring like a kitten now.
01 E46 325CI
05 Kubota BX2230
Old 06-13-2018, 03:58 PM

cmartin

Welcome back pookie
Old 06-14-2018, 08:38 AM

pookie

I should say I haven't been totally project less these last few years, I had been riding motorcycles. I had a bunch of those, some running some not, but after riding 5 years I almost got hit head on, and figured that was enough for me.

I managed to get a little work done last night. Mostly just walking around it and seeing what stuff was bothering me. Some additional things I noted:

- heater houses in the trunk are cobbled together on one side. You can see them in the pic of the shock tower

- shock tower is loose. And is a rubber spacer missing?

- couple pics of my trashed seats. I sold the Recaros I had in it back in 2011-ish because I found a set of sport seats. But the sport seats were tan and needed not only recovering but also bolster repair/rebuild. I want to go back to aftermarket seats but I don't know what I want, or what would look right for the Targa

- I cleaned the threads on the rear seatbelt holes, but still need to get the grade 8 bolts for the new belts.

- the hood props are bad

- the trunk props are bad

- I tried to get a couple pics on of the passenger side fender where it got dented.
Attached Images

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap

Last edited by pookie; 12-07-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 AM

pookie

I move at a snails pace.

But mini-me asked "dad can we work on the car?" Yes, buddy we can. Here is the result.
Attached Images

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap
Old 12-07-2018, 09:07 AM

pookie

Those pics were from a few weeks ago. I thought about having my stock seats recovered and called around for quotes. Too much $$$$$$ was needed to go that route.

I had been searching here, pelican, FB marketplace, and Craigslist for a set of seats. Then a work trip came up and I got sent to Newport News VA. What did I do? Jump on CL for Norfolk, Richmond, and elsewhere between there and Knoxville. On Norfolk CL I found a very, very nice gentlemen (if you are on here let me know) who was taking a set of Recaros out of his track 911. They even had 911 rails still attached. I emailed him and told him I was interested but that I couldn't get there until this past Monday, and since it was CL I assumed he would sell them before I got there. Nope, he told me I was first in line and he would hold them for me. Whoohoo! So I picked up a set of SRDs for my car with this pattern. (note pic is note of my exact seats but I have the same ones and same pattern)

I hope mini-me and I can get them installed this weekend. I'm also hoping the center pattern adds a little color to the all black interior.
Attached Images

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap
Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 AM

cmartin

nice seats
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM

pookie

Other things I got done since I started this thread, not much...

- steering wheel tightened
- rear seat belts installed
- shock towers tightened (idk how or why those were loose)

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap
Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Look’n good boy-o!

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending