Porsche (Sim) GT3 Cup - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Porsche (Sim) GT3 Cup

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 01-10-2021, 03:32 PM

DonNewton
Default Porsche (Sim) GT3 Cup

Was able to watch the first races from Inter Lagos yesterday and was amazed at the amazing realism of the "game/race". Does anyone know what format is used to race in this series? NOT going to run down that rabbit hole, but I sure would like to research the platform used to race. Looked at the at-home sim set-ups and I guess you could blow a couple years racing budget on just your home set up. Saw one that had an electric/hydraulic arm that raised the seat platform so you really could experience all three axis of movement. NOT going to run down that rabbit hole. . .

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:42 PM

nylart

The Porsche Sim racing series is on the iRace platform
Old 01-11-2021, 11:13 AM

DonNewton

Thanks. I'll be looking into this!
Old 01-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Cushion Convector

BMAN

I am doing my 1st eDE tonight with PCA SIM League. https://pcasimracing.com/

The level of participation is much higher than I realized. They have support groups and leagues per PCA Zone and then there are leagues inside of the zones.

The extent of my gaming/sim driving, prior to 3 weeks ago, was playing Wii Mario Kart with my kids over a decade ago. iRacing is a whole different world and I am finding it to be a real challenge getting started. It took me awhile to complete a single lap on circuits I know well. It's a rewire of your senses and I am clearly not rewired yet. I am definitely going to take people out tonight but not on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNewton View Post
so you really could experience all three axis of movement. NOT going to run down that rabbit hole. . .

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I think SIM racing is about to change in this regard. "Affordable" motion systems, up until recently, were unable to simulate the level of immersion to make them beneficial, let alone increase the fun factor to justify the investment. Gimmicky is how most had been described. Latency, limited range of motion, hardware&software options and cost have all been hurdles. There are some really advanced simulators but costs are in the $75-125k range. I've been researching motion systems for years and recently the DIY world began advancing quickly and there are options today that are game changing...pun intended.

It isn't cheap but considering what many SIM racers spend fitting out their static rigs, it is no longer unobtanium. Cost for a really good platform is what some racers will spend on slick tires over 2-3 race weekends.

I built the below and shown are the 3 tiers of the motion system. it's run on 7 independent actuators and drivers with 6 degree of freedom motion. The big advancement in immersion arguably comes from the addition of surge and traction loss. Surge being most important, in my opinion. The platform moves forward/back under brake/accel. Surge combined with harnesses (not in picture) gives brake feedback/feel which doesn't exist in most SIM rigs.

It is DIY and not for the faint of heart. I counted roughly 1000 pieces that I assembled, wired and programmed. Took me a month working on it here and there. Got it running just after Christmas but it's located above my daughter's bedroom and she's home from college which really limits my driving time. Next month I plan on putting in some seat time.

It turned out better than I expected and most importantly, I WANT to drive it A LOT.

Name:  motion platform.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  90.5 KB
'72 E
'80 Weissach SC
'94 C2
'05 996 GT3 CUP
'09 White Winged Cayman S (Hers, all hers!)
'11 GTS/C4S Donuts
'15 Boxster S #Blubyu
Old 01-12-2021, 02:40 PM

Nerfbar

Looks a bit like old Sparky.

18 Carrera cab
15 Macan S
Old 01-13-2021, 08:50 AM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfbar View Post
This one adds the possibility of crushing body parts.

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 01-13-2021, 09:00 AM

cmartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfbar View Post
funny, I didnt see that. now I cant not
Old 01-13-2021, 09:35 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
It is DIY and not for the faint of heart. I counted roughly 1000 pieces that I assembled, wired and programmed. Took me a month working on it here and there.
Too funny. It only took me about 5 hours to build a Fiat 500 with wheels that turn, seats that move, doors that open/ close and a roof that retracts, and that was about 950 pieces. And that was with a 7-year-old 'helping' for a good part of the time. You work slooooooooow

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-13-2021, 11:01 AM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
You work slooooooooow
How is that clutch coming

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 01-13-2021, 11:28 AM

cmartin

Quote: