Max performance summer tires - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Max performance summer tires

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:46 AM

John Clay
Default Max performance summer tires

I've got tentative plans to attend some DE's after a long hiatus. In my keep it simple (and don't start to make something look like a race car unless it is a race car) mindset, the plan was to only have one set of tires for all uses. I can avoid driving in the snow.

I was a huge fan of the Pilot Sport 4s that was our first set of tires on the Cayman, but those gave way to the slightly faster (but not great for the street) fast 200 TW autox tires of the day.

I'd like feed back on the Pilot Sport 4s for anyone using them on track. Lap times aren't a huge deal; most important thing is they can hold up to the abuse.

Any other max performance tires I should consider? There are several others available that are significantly cheaper than the Michelins.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 12-28-2020, 10:18 AM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

John,

Do you have 15”s or 16”s on the traffic cone?

Had similar thoughts about keeping it simple with my 944 Turbo.

I used Bridgestone RE-71R’s on my last M3 and really liked them for DE’s.

Switched to Yokohama ADVAN A052’s on the 944 Turbo based on a strong recommendation. Didn’t track the car last season due to COVID so the jury is still out...

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 12-28-2020, 10:25 AM

John Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
John,

Do you have 15”s or 16”s on the traffic cone?

Had similar thoughts about keeping it simple with my 944 Turbo.

I used Bridgestone RE-71R’s on my last M3 and really liked them for DE’s.

Switched to Yokohama ADVAN A052’s on the 944 Turbo based on a strong recommendation. Didn’t track the car last season due to COVID so the jury is still out...
17's on the FRS. Traffic cone is probably going up for sale, or will be weekend/daughter autox.

I have the A052's on the Cayman. I was thinking something more DD friendly than those, especially for heavy rain.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 12-28-2020, 12:24 PM

Modian

Hankook RS4s might be an option. They are almost as sticky as RE71Rs but last much longer. No issues in the rain, and I did a session at VIR that felt like a monsoon. They were street and track for me until I got a trailer and could try other tires.

I haven’t used 4S on track, only street, but they seem like another step down (slightly less sticky, longer life). Which might be good or bad depending on what you are looking for.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3