Sore legs and spandex (the bike ridin' thread) - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Sore legs and spandex (the bike ridin' thread)

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 PM

Richard Curtis

I walk on trails a lot and always appreciate an "onyerleft" or ringy-dingy from a passing bicyclist. Nothing pisses me off more than some Tour de France wannabe whizzing by within inches with no alert whatsoever even if I'm (as usual) walking on extreme right. Usually scares me out of my skin. Trail courtesy goes both ways.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 PM

vranko has one HoF thread

Fairly casual ride from Vienna to Reston this morning. I felt beat from a ride yesterday so I kept my heart rate down. I usually try to average ~135bpm.

F.Y.I. I use MapMyRide to log my workouts. Wahoo Fitness Speed/Cadence transmitter, Heart Rate transmitters and RFLKT display. All connected to my iPhone. I keep the iPhone in my camelback. I used Strava in the past for tracking (believe that's what VG uses). I had some issues with them becoming to closed of a platform but I hear that has changed. May look at using them again but I find MapMyFitness/Ride adequately meets my needs.

Name:  ViennaToReston.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  119.1 KB

2024 BMW G87 ///M2 (Next 444)
2021 Toyota Supra GR (The Bupra, Other 444)
2016 BMW M235
2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2007 Cayman S, #444
2013 Golf R
2012 BWM x5
2017 Mazda MX-5 Club
3 time DE Parade Lap Champion
#BestInstructorEver - Unknown
Old 08-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Shock Whisperer

ausgeflippt951 has one HoF thread

Right on! I like the Wahoo UI -- I might have to look into this. Any issues with signal when riding through forest?

'86 951: lucky number 13...rare 6.0L edition.
'06 M3: hers.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM

None. iPhone GPS and bluetooth signals seem to work fine. I've been using this setup for almost a year without issue.

2016 BMW M235
2007 Cayman S, #444
2013 Golf R
2012 BWM x5
2017 Mazda MX-5 Club
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Mister C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Curtis View Post
I walk on trails a lot and always appreciate an "onyerleft" or ringy-dingy from a passing bicyclist. Nothing pisses me off more than some Tour de France wannabe whizzing by within inches with no alert whatsoever even if I'm (as usual) walking on extreme right. Usually scares me out of my skin. Trail courtesy goes both ways.

You would be surprised how many times I have said "on your left" and the response was to move left and into my path. No, the other left you idiot. I prefer a bell and a "passing left" call out.

My favorites are the joggers with headphones who suddenly and without giving any prior signal decide to spin 180 degrees and start heading home. I saw such a jogger doing this bonehead move get clocked by a biker--pretty brutal impact but I didn't stay for the aftermath.

A friend I ride with is "assertive" when riding a MUP. He calls out, rings his bell, etc but when being obstructed by people walking 4 abreast he tends to graze them with his shoulder as he rides by. It's an ahole move but it does send a clear message. Trail courtesy or lack thereof does go both ways.

1997 E36 M3 Alpine White
1996 993 Coupe Midnight Blue/Grey

Past Rides:
2005 997.1 2S
2001 Audi S4
1989 Ford Probe
Old 08-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Seems a lot of the beltway behavior translates over into the bike path.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranko View Post
Fairly casual ride from Vienna to Reston this morning. I felt beat from a ride yesterday so I kept my heart rate down. I usually try to average ~135bpm.

F.Y.I. I use MapMyRide to log my workouts. Wahoo Fitness Speed/Cadence transmitter, Heart Rate transmitters and RFLKT display. All connected to my iPhone. I keep the iPhone in my camelback. I used Strava in the past for tracking (believe that's what VG uses). I had some issues with them becoming to closed of a platform but I hear that has changed. May look at using them again but I find MapMyFitness/Ride adequately meets my needs.

Attachment 42551
As noted I use Strava. Simple to use and all my rides and information gather in one place easy to see and glean trends from. I don't tend to use the facebook like aspect other than to see where other folks are riding. I have used that aspect to find some good rides and shortcuts. I found that a Garmin Edge works well and use that while the I-phone just goes along for the ride. Good battery life and good data loging from the power meter and other ant-+ devices.

One trend I have noted is weather related. For some reason I tend to get lost and end up in DC looping Hains Point or Mount Vernon on my ride home more often when the weather is very nice than when it is not. another aspect is meat motors and metal motors both make better power when the air is cool and dry. Or cool and wet as water cooling a meat motor works well. A light summer rain is hill climbing weather. Crank until the bike starts to creak and vapor is coming off the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
You would be surprised how many times I have said "on your left" and the response was to move left and into my path. No, the other left you idiot. I prefer a bell and a "passing left" call out.

My favorites are the joggers with headphones who suddenly and without giving any prior signal decide to spin 180 degrees and start heading home. I saw such a jogger doing this bonehead move get clocked by a biker--pretty brutal impact but I didn't stay for the aftermath.

A friend I ride with is "assertive" when riding a MUP. He calls out, rings his bell, etc but when being obstructed by people walking 4 abreast he tends to graze them with his shoulder as he rides by. It's an ahole move but it does send a clear message. Trail courtesy or lack thereof does go both ways.
The bell is a good thing. You can ding them from far enough back that they can go full throttle stupid before you are too close to do anything about it.
The sudden 180 is called a Crazy Ivan and happens a bit too often. I have had 2 in the past year alone and the last one was almost a splat for both me and the jogger. I made the call and one of the 2 joggers mover slightly right and the other waited until I was almost on them and pulled a Crazy Ivan. I leaned a shoulder IN to him and brushed him back before he had a chance to fully turn into me (while also repeling him with pure sonic waves of $#^%&*!-@$$! )

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
Not only the joggers. Many years back a biker on the Mt. Vernon Trail slowly moved to the right off the path. Then quickly pulled a 180 across my bow! I managed to take her down but I was able to leap mostly over her bike and land back on two wheels. My wife was behind me and finished her off

Quote:

I do the same when someone is blocking the passing lane and will not heed my warnings. I don't touch them but I do want them to remember next time and maybe turn their music down. Families with children on the trail get as much room as they need and great courtesy from me. I saw many families on my ride today, went slowly around them and thanked them for moving. Runners running abreast with headphones, not so much if they can't hear my warning signals.

2016 BMW M235
2007 Cayman S, #444
2013 Golf R
2012 BWM x5
2017 Mazda MX-5 Club
Old 08-14-2014, 03:53 PM

Mister C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatk View Post
Yes it does.

For some odd reason I actually WANT a speeding ticket on my bike. I think I would frame it.

Maybe I should ride more in Virginia?

1997 E36 M3 Alpine White
1996 993 Coupe Midnight Blue/Grey

Past Rides:
2005 997.1 2S
2001 Audi S4
1989 Ford Probe
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatk View Post
Both are infested with humans.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.