Installed 993 Brakes on the SC - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Installed 993 Brakes on the SC

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:36 AM

BobNovas

Quote:
The real issue was probaly that the brakes were not warmed up enough to grab properly but freeway driving is real world for me.
That sounds like changing the type of pads you use would be in order, not changing the brakes! Something more streetable
Old 04-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Sometimes the seal cup in an MC will not catch right at the top of the stroke in an Oh sh!t stab the pedal panic stop type event. If so you have a little less system pressure at full MC piston travel. Another thing that can happen is if the front bearings are loose the rotor will flop back and forth a bit and push the pistons back further than normal. When you hit the brakes the MC has to make up for the added volume. One fast pump will fix both problems but that is easy to say when you are not looking at the back of a stopped truck. Just another reason to track the car in DE. You learn advanced car control methods that help keep you from hitting things.

As Bob said there are few disk brake systems that can't lock even hot sticky track tires. Froggy showed me a almost new Hoo (one of 4 in the same condition) that he sanded down so well that it would stay put on my trailer ramp. IIRC stock M front and rear Porsche brakes, you know the cute little square ones that come on early cars, are on the order of 400 brake HP. Stopping distance is most often set by the traction of tires. A sliding tire has less traction than a tire that is at the traction limit but not sliding. I have a print out of possible combos that will bolt on and fit inside of different rims. I will have to find it. Ten or so combos that include which MC to use as well.

With that said there is nothing wrong with bolting on performance parts just so long as you don't stick an "R" or a GT3 sticker on the back.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:42 AM

thomschoon

Geeez guys, I am beginning to feel that if you dont run DE's you are not entitled to upgrade your car.

Edited out as it really didnt matter

I enjoy the fun runs and I enjoy working on my car as it is my version of golf, and I readily admit to pi$$ing away a great deal of money on it just because I can (its that prime earning years thing).

End of whine, Enjoy the day
Thom
Old 04-07-2005, 10:09 AM

Jim Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoon
Geeez guys, I am beginning to feel that if you dont run DE's you are not entitled to upgrade your car.
Thom, whether you track your car or not, it's your dang car and if you want to mod it, that's your right and it's also cool (Gruppe B mantra). People tend to forget that modding cars is as American as Mom and apple pie. There were hot rods long before there were Porsches, PCA and DE. We do this for fun. Let's not forget that. I'll step off the soap box now.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Parenn911 has one HoF thread

Thom, your SC is a gem ! It's great to see someone putting life back into a SC by modding it . Keep pissing away your money on it because you give me a new idea every time I see your 911. The 993 brakes look awesome, as Jim said, it's your 911, do whatever makes you happy. Not all 911's are bound for the track.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Sorry you think I or anyone else is dinging you. My posts are not in any way directed at you. They are in response to some other folks asking what fits where and I just wanted to remind that sometimes bigger is not better as most of the thread respondents that were asking good questions DO track or plan to. You came back sounding a little miffed and I responded with a light hearted apology for sounding like I was directing my post at you, as it was not in any way and I wanted to make sure that it was not as you thought. I posted the standard saw on if you need to add braking cap and the standard order of enhancement.
Just as you have every right to do what ever you want to your car I and the any other Dorki have the right to chat with others, without malice intended or implied towards you.

Your information is handy for anyone planning to do the same regardless of why the work is desired. Face it. Your post started an ongoing content laced "conversation" The conversation had progressed beyond your post showing your mods, the costs incurred and handy tips. Some valid points were being discussed among Dorki and at no time did anyone say or imply that you were a NOPI tuner for dropping $1500 on mods that might or might not be needed. All the comments about your mods were positive as around here Wanted is a valid reason too.

I don't post here to fufill some inner need or knock others, I kill time while on the phone hunting down parts and working call backs and pass on what others have passed to me or I learned the hard way.

I’m’ out. :P

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:17 PM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

"Bill Verburg"
http://home.nycap.rr.com/wmv/generalbrmd.htm
i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me
Old 04-07-2005, 12:32 PM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

I'm all about "smaller is better" (mostly b/c I can't afford the big stuff) but I'm pretty sure I fall into the you-can-never-have-enough-brakes camp. The more they resemble a laserdisk, the more excited I get There is definitely a bling factor, but it's not without usefullness, even if it's just to add years of braking engineering progress.

*IF* you were making a living by shaving fractions of seconds off your laptimes, you should probably consider the lightest, smallest brake system that will do the job for a given amount of work/time required. If not, go BIG. Would you want to be 1 sec faster in your DE's and be "the best of mediocre" or would you want the absolute faith and confidence in your brakes every time you hit the pedal? You're not trying to fit into a "classification" or follow some racing rulebook are you?

No one had a problem locking up the non-vented rotors, yet they were discarded by Porsche as soon as possible. On a street car, w/ street tires, a proper brakeset from a go-kart *may* also be able to lock up the tires. It doesn't mean it gives you consistent stopping results nor confidence.

Even if I ran on two cylinders I'd still want 930 rotors on my car and as soon as I have a real need, and $$, they will be weighing down my car quicker than you can say 'overkill'. In my earlier days, I used to have brakes that would last me for two *events* without any maintenance. Now those same brakes don't last two sessions. I'm going to get rid of my worries (which always come up at the end of the straight.... right about when my wipers start fluttering on the windshield) as soon as I can afford it.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:25 PM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parenn911
Not all 911's are bound for the track
yeah, some of them can't seem to stop being *off* track
Old 04-07-2005, 01:41 PM

BillJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by }{arlequin

No one had a problem locking up the non-vented rotors, yet they were discarded by Porsche as soon as possible. On a street car, w/ street tires, a proper brakeset from a go-kart *may* also be able to lock up the tires. It doesn't mean it gives you consistent stopping results nor confidence.
Agree with a lot that you have said here! One fine point is that locking up rotors is not a factor of them being vented or drilled or solid or whatever. Locking up is a factor of improper balance of components for a given mass you are trying to slow down.

Generally (and not in response to dave per se) locking up the wheels is not a great measure of the effectiveness of your brakes imho. Measure of success is the ability to control the rate of slow for a given application over a desired length of time.

Trying to find out the answer to the rotor/boxster monoblock question. The best web reference i know of is here, and indicates the best rotor (largest?) is 282.5x24 mm:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/wmv/generalbrmd.htm

Largest rotor is fine as long as you need to go to that larger heat sink. If what you have is "just" getting by then add some cooling and you will be happy as a clam.

Anyone know the relative weights of the components (rotors, calipers, and i guess pads) for a comparison of relative heat absorption versus applicability versus cost versus weight?

Bill
2002 996 (Sold)
1995 993 (Sold)
1973 914-6 (Sold)